Vonage - Is it good?

My parents are considering switching from virgin (previously ntl) to vonage due to the high charges but I'd like to know if making such a move would be worth it (e.g. what are the benefits/disadvantages for switching). Thanks.

Comments

• sony ps2sony ps2 Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    ive been with vonage for about 6 months now and i can say that when i got rid of my ntl line it was the best thing i ever did my bill is just 7.99 a month thats only what vonage charge a month so i save loads of money.
  • lincsatlincsat Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have a £5.99/month promotion on the go ATM, so even better value. You get all the extra's thrown in like Caller Display, Voicemail (with e-mail notification) 3 way calling, ring back etc.

You can do VOIP cheaper, but vonage has everything you need straight out of the box :)
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No - its silly.....

Orange give you the same thing with a mobile contract over £30 a month for free. All your calls to UK landlines and 100 countries via VoIP and of course they give you Broadband Internet and a free mobile and inclusive talktime and SMS on that too.

Vodafone also offer similar deals.

Pays to look at the bigger picture.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok thanks for the replies so far, one last question, are there any alternative voip services that are better than vonage (in terms of price and performance).

As for orange, it does look like a good offer but I have heard terrible things about their services outside of their mobile phone services (e.g. watchdog).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vonage have been good for me since I swapped last November and I don't need a £30 per month mobile contact to get it!
    Big savings and as I call Australia, the US and Italy regularly.
  • sony ps2sony ps2 Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    you could try voip.co.uk that is a uk voip provider im thinking myself about changeing to them.
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    For home use, most of us need a BT line for our internet so that takes care of incoming calls.

I use Voipcheap.com which gives "free" calls to UK 01 and 02 numbers for 10 euro for 90 days. After that you can spend the euro and then start again for another 90days.
    It is however outgoing calls only.

Previously I was sceptical about Voip but a DECT phone with a Linksys PAP2 adapter is as good if not better than my BT landline for outgoing calls. It works through a Netgear wireless router (£20 from dsldepot) without the need to turn the computer on.

[No connection other than as customer with any companies or products referred to]
  • pje1979pje1979 Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    sony ps2 wrote:
    you could try voip.co.uk that is a uk voip provider im thinking myself about changeing to them.
    I'm with voip.co.uk and can highly recommended them. Reliable and cheap. I pay the £19.99/year which gives you free calls off peak and 2p/hour for calls peak rate, although if you go over the hour they start charging per minute but I just hang up and redial on the rare occasion I'm nearing an hour long call.
  • lincsatlincsat Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still on Vonage (at least while they are only charging me £5.99)

I've setup a lot of friends on VOIP.co.uk and it works well - web interface looks a little complicated, but they will send you some instructions if you ask.