Options

Any Christmas Lovers on here?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
Forum Member
Just wondering if there is anyone on here that loves Christmas? If so, do you have any nice Christmas traditions in your family?

I know there are many that do not like Christmas, so no need to post. This is for the people that do.

Personally, I love it. I am known to be a Christmas freak in my family. I have to tell myself to wait until at least Bonfire night has gone before getting excited. :o

Comments

• Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me!!!

here

over here

me

yes I love Xmas
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    Me!!!

here

over here

me

yes I love Xmas

:D Good glad to hear I am not the only one!
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cacharodon wrote: »
    :D Good glad to hear I am not the only one!

I wouldn't say it too loud, there are some scrooges here on DS
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me! I hate the 'it comes earlier every year' whingers. I find that as I get older and my life fills up I find it harder to get sorted earlier in the year! I normally have my shopping 90% sorted by now, but I'm only halfway there.

My family always collect holly and decorate on Christmas Eve (I decorate my own home at the end of November). We then go to Midnight Mass at 11pm, and get home and open our presents just after midnight. This must've been quite a feat for my parents when we were little, as they let us feel the empty stockings as we left the house, and we were the first back in. The only way I can think that they had time to fill the stockings in the minutes or so after getting us in the car was to have duplicate full stocking which they switched after letting us feel the empty ones.

Cunningly, this meant a Christmas morning lie-in for everyone, followed by a big breakfast. Then the big lunch at about 4, after an afternoon walk, and Cluedo in the evening.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me! I love it. Family traditions? Shouting and slamming doors.
  • Options
    ackeracker Posts: 8,809
    Forum Member

Hello :)
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Or those without families who find Christmas a very difficult time!
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love every last bit of schmalz. I'm on my own but I put up a real tree and if I'm not going anywhere I'll cook up a splendiferous Christmas feast. Yes just for me! I think it stems from when I was a kid. The whole extended family would gather at my grandparents in Liverpool. They lived in a large Victorian house - the sort that is usually converted into flats these days. For an only child living in a matchbox size semi, this alone was magic. Small presents and stocking fillers were left by our beds overnight. Then after a massive traditional Christmas lunch we would gather in the best room and my grandfather would give out the presents from under the tree. Then the Irish contingent of the family would retire to whiskey and cards while the kids (me and my cousins) ran amok. :D
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Yes I do love Christmas I can't wait to start putting things up.

I already have over 200 Christmas movies and specials ready to watch
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    Love it. Love the build up and especially Christmas Eve. Sat with a glass of something, listening to Christmas Carols and just gazing at the tree. Perfect! Christmas day is often a let down but Christmas Eve has always and will always hold that bit of magic
  • Options
    Jon OJon O Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Christmas because you can really pig out on food & booze. however its very expensive & hard work for mums who have all the extra shopping, cooking & shopping to do.
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two words. Day. Off.
    Couldn't care less that it's Santa's birthday, but I love not going to work.
  • Options
    monkeypuzzlermonkeypuzzler Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    I love it! Love nothing better than sitting in a room lit only with twinkling fair lights, Christmas music or movie on and a mince pie in hand!
  • Options
    AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Christmas too, everything about it. I can appreciate that those who are alone may not feel the same way though.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I LOVE the build up to Christmas, when there are Christmas songs being played everywhere, and everyone seems happy. But I always find Christmas itself a bit of an anticlimax.
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    I absolutely love Christmas, it's such a magical time and that warm fuzzy feeling you get inside doing your Christmas shopping or finding the perfect gift for someone just can't be beaten. Putting up the Christmas decorations while singing Christmas carols at my nan and grandads house at the beginning of December, then Christmas Eve it's midnight mass home to eat Nan's homemade Christmas cake and drink a glass or two of port wine, open some small presents and then go home. Then back on Christmas Day for more presents and a huge Christmas dinner with all the family.

My partner and I both come from very traditional family orientated backgrounds so we have our little Christmas morning together, eating breakfast and exchanging gifts and then we go and spend the day with our own families.

Ooooh now I'm all excited thinking about it :)
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Love it, but I must confees I love the build up more than the day, the day for me is a tad depressing as thats the end of the excitement.
  • Options
    DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as an atheist i love 'xmas' but to me it's just a winter/ end of year celebration. For me it basically invovles getting really drunk, attending numerous office parties, drinking stiens of beer at German markets, dancing badly in cheesy nightclubs, getting dances with girls dressed in sexy santa outfits at lap dancing clubs, more getting drunk, stocking up on lots of booze, eating loads of food, going for slap up meals...................oh and if there's any money left then the kids might get some presents too :D
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    I loved Christmas. Until i started working retail.....
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    I love Christmas, my birthday is 2 weeks before Christmas so I just love December. Every year I make an advent calendar for my website which takes a hell of a lot of prep so I start early with Christmas every year. Though it doesn't officially begin for me until I see the Coca Cola advert.

I love that Cocoa Cola have started touring the truck around the UK over the last few years. Last year they had loads of fake snow when you were in the queue which really added to the atmosphere and the year before they had a choir who, among other things, sung the Holidays are Coming tune :D

The decorations in my house always go up the weekend before my birthday, I don't remember when I last had a birthday without the decorations up.

The traditions in my family have changed a lot over the last 10 years as various sections of the family have split, expanded or passed away but one thing I always make sure to do is watch Morecambe and Wise on Christmas day. It wouldn't be Christmas without it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    I LOVE the build up to Christmas, when there are Christmas songs being played everywhere, and everyone seems happy. But I always find Christmas itself a bit of an anticlimax.
    I think because people build it up so much. My sister spends the weeks before and day fussing to enforce everyone to enjoy themselves in her perfect Delia/Nigella/Dickens environment - until her head explodes. My idea of Christmas is cosy relaxation, if I haven't bought it then I don't need it, if I have bought it and you don't like it then stuff it up your chimney and if I can buy it already prepared then I will. :D
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to try and go for a perfect Christmas and it was very stressful. Now I just go with the flow, put less pressure on myself to get it all right and I love it. My kids are getting older so I'm just going to enjoy opening presents and spending the day with them before they go and make their own lives. Once that happens they can have me at their houses on alternate years :D
  • Options
    Rare GrooveRare Groove Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    Its good for kids or people who have families or live with family. But for someone of us who are choose to live alone out of choice a hasten to add. It makes no difference. That said, I loved it as a Kid. I am sure when I have a family and Kids I would try and capture that magic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Christmas when you get to see a lot of your family around for dinner. Not too fussed on the decorations, but love the food too. :)
  • Options
    wantoosoonwantoosoon Posts: 1,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a set of fairy lights that I put up, and I buy in 5 times more booze than usual.