People like this don't deserve to win the lottery!

Comments

• zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24879033

Ron Elliot has just won a jackpot of £8m but he has vowed to continue working, despite being rich enough to retire immediately.

The care worker, who earns £15,000 a year, said he had no plans to hand in his notice.

Then this low of the lowest greedy idiot

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2096927/Mick-Jean-OShea--10m-lotto-winner-STILL-claiming-6k-year-benefits.html

Michael and Jean O’Shea won £10.2million on the lottery, they promised: ‘We’ll never be any different, no matter how much money we have.’

More than six years later, the couple remain true to their word.
    They still occupy the three-bedroom ex-council house they were living in when their numbers came up – and Mr O’Shea still claims around £6,000 a year in benefits.

Why do these idiots play the lottery is they dont want to change their lives? :mad::rolleyes:

My favouirte lottery winner so far was one of the 12 Corby bus driver syndicate who won a combined £38m. He was on mid shift when he was alerted that he won the lottery. He parked the bus and told passengers they would have to wait for another driver/bus as he wont be going any further. He quit there and then. What man! :D

I can't understand why they wanted to win the lottery. It's up to them I suppose, but still wanting to work in a low paid job is a bit baffling. As for the other who's still claiming benefits, that's just greed! No matter how much money some people win, they'll still want money from another source. As for the bus driver, he could have took the passengers to their destination and then quit his job. I think that was a bit selfish of him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're being judged for not going mad with money. It's baffling on here sometimes

I'm guessing the second lot, mainly, are being criticised for claiming money from the state when they can EASILY manage on the interest that they'd get from their fortune. Pure greed.
  • yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    Yes, and a lot of people work because of the social side of things. His social life could revolve around his friends from work. A few years back I would have had the same attitude if I'd won the lottery as I was in a job I loved and had a lot of friends there.

Now, well I would give up straightaway! :o

Up to a year ago I would have liked to have kept working in some way but now I would definitely give up work if I won the lottery
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    S1000RR wrote: »
    Why don't they 'deserve' to win? They bought a ticket just like anyone else. :rolleyes:

Are you green OP?

I agree with you that they are both perfectly entitled to win, just as anyone else is. However, they should start living off the interest from their fortune instead of claiming benefits as well.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i am pleased to see he enjoys his job as a care worker but if he doesn't require the job he could give it up as there are so so many unemployed in this country, maybe he could volunteer his time

There are more care jobs than willing applicants round here.

And anyway, a carer who does the job because he actually cares and not doing it for the money at all? He is the ideal carer. I would fight to have him if I needed care.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmmm .... :rolleyes:

Twitter rumours claimed ... He was on mid shift when he was alerted that he won the lottery. He parked the bus and told passengers they would have to wait for another driver/bus as he wont be going any further. He quit there and then.

... and, as well all know by now "Twitter rumours claimed ... " means "The next bit is bullsh*t"!

From a somewhat more reliable source ... "The rumours that a driver quit mid-shift "was a load of sh*t", says one of the winners. In fact, the drivers learned of their win late in the evening, and no one was working at the time."

That's better then.
  • lubaluba Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have won the money fairly and squarely let them do with it want they want to.
    It is their choice.
    You may not agree with it but there is not a thing you can do.
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    luba wrote: »
    They have won the money fairly and squarely let them do with it want they want to.
    It is their choice.
    You may not agree with it but there is not a thing you can do.

it is not about what they do with the money, i am made up for the guy winning the lottery, i wasn't saying he didn't deserve to win
  • AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    I don't think the second couple should be getting benefits but why should the first man quit his job? He is being sensible and he is clearly someone who enjoys his job for the job itself not just coping with it for the wage. If he gets satisfaction from it and he is competent enough to do it why shouldn't he stay on?
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    as for the couple on benefits, i don't think they need to claim any more benefits, they have won 10 million pound ffs
  • Rare GrooveRare Groove Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    duffsdad wrote: »
    The first mans should give up his jb to let someone unemployed have a chance.He could do voluntary work.

The second are just greedy whether entitled or not, sorry.

Very well said!! My sentiments! Th man is keeping his job because it mentally satisfies him but he is denying someone who needs the money the chance at the job. He has more than enough money to. work or even set up a charity but its obvious he is selfish :rolleyes:

The second group not even worth discussing utter scum
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very well said!! My sentiments! Th man is keeping his job because it mentally satisfies him but he is denying someone who needs the money the chance at the job. He has more than enough money to. work or even set up a charity but its obvious he is selfish :rolleyes:

Only on DS could someone call someone who is doing a job as a care worker even though he doesn't need the money but just because he likes it 'selfish' :D
  • xorosetylerxoxorosetylerxo Posts: 6,674
    Forum Member
    the 2nd couple are stupid for still claiming benefits

but why rip on the man who wants to keep working as a carer. He loves the job so why should he quit

and he's hardly selfish as he's spending his time helping other people
    Forum Member
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    Only on DS could someone call someone who is doing a job as a care worker even though he doesn't need the money but just because he likes it 'selfish' :D

Oh yeah bring the violins out because he is care worker getting and still getting PAID. The point is he is denying the chance of work for someone who needs the money. It's all about his emotional needs. He wants to continually feel loved and needed and possible told everyday how lucky he is for winning. Oh and getting more attention on the BBC does his ego more good too:rolleyes:

He needs to quit now, join a charity and let someone who has needs the money a chance:mad:
  • AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I won a significant amount, I'd give up work, buy a top of the range camper van and travel forevermore. My job, delightful though it is, would be up for grabs.

Each to their own though, if someone is comfortable staying the same, so what.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh yeah bring the violins out because he is care worker getting and still getting PAID. The point is he is denying the chance of work for someone who needs the money. It's all about his emotional needs. He wants to continually feel loved and needed and possible told everyday how lucky he is for winning. Oh and getting more attention on the BBC does his ego more good too:rolleyes:

He needs to quit now, join a charity and let someone who has needs the money a chance:mad:

OK, is my area some sort of exception then? Because round here care homes are understaffed and have trouble filling their vacancies. Both homes I am involved in use agencies because they have difficulty keeping staff and they are run fairly well so it's not that.

Any other 'job' and I may well agree with you, but no I cannot agree that someone who truly wants to be in the role of a carer should have that taken from him. He is someone that would be extraordinarily hard to replace - Someone who is willing to do the job when he does not actually have to.

Do you realise care work is a vocation? It is not just a 'job'. It is a career that can not be done well if you do not give a shit about the people you are caring for. I meet people all the time who do care work because they need money and it's generally obvious, compared to those who do it because they actually want to.

If I get old and decrepit and need someone to wipe my arse and feed me, I hope I get someone like this man and not someone who replaced him that is only there until a retail job comes up.

Oh, and the bit in bold you've just totally invented so I won't even respond to that.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think deserving to win or not has anything to do with it. I'ts pure luck and not something to be "deserved" by meeting anyone's moral standards. That's life.:D
    Whatever they legally choose to do after winning is thier business alone
    Forum Member
    CBFreak wrote: »
    Here's something for you OP
    Have you considered the people the First man is a carer for.
    Don't you think it would be better for them to continue getting care from a friendly familiar face who knows their needs rather then a complete stranger?

No! And we have no idea how good he really is! There would always be better people. Why deny them a chance just because he would be bored at home.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No! And we have no idea how good he really is!

Then you are entitled to your opinion of course, but you clearly have no idea about healthcare.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    envy is such an unattractive trait.
  • PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No! And we have no idea how good he really is! There would always be better people. Why deny them a chance just because he would be bored at home. Maybe he uses work as an escape route from the missus. Or maybe the missus ordered him to go back to work while she spends his money :D

he's a widower, so unless he suffers from morbid hallucinations :D
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't give up work if I won the lottery.

I'd keep turning up but do sod all and see how long it took my boss to notice. I reckon it would be a couple of years! :D
    Forum Member
    envy is such an unattractive trait.

Envy? lol! It's more like pity for being boring saps.

I love seeing people win the lottery quit their job and enjoy their life. Not boring people who don't know how to enjoy themselves and keep their poor paid jobs because they are clueless on how to live life. Why play in the first place?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bus driver in the example does seem a bit mean to be fair, I would have been well annoyed if I was on that bus going into work personally.

As for if I think they 'deserve' it, if they both entered legally then they all have the same chance as anyone else. It's why it's called a 'lottery'.

If I won the lottery, I wouldn't stop doing the things that I enjoy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Envy? lol! It's more like pity for being boring saps.

I love seeing people win the lottery quit their job and enjoy their life. Not boring people who don't know how to enjoy themselves and keep their poor paid jobs because they are clueless on how to live life. Why play in the first place?

So basically, people who work cannot enjoy their life? Otherwise how does him working show that he is not enjoying himself? How do you know what else he does?

Oh and he actually gets enjoyment from his job. So I'm seriously not sure what your point is.