Options

4:3 instead of widescreen

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
Forum Member
Hi, for no apparent reason some programs on some channels are now coming up in 4:3 where they used to be widescreen. The Humax is set to 14:9 ratio. the channels include CH4 (the Simpsons), CH5, E4 and ABC.

The adverts revert to 14:9 but once the programs come back on it switches to 4:3 (even if I force the TV to widescreen)

The only odd thing I know that has happened recently was lockup on ITV1 once whilst watching Ghostboat (the last 5 mins froze (lucky they have not switched analogue off yet!)

I am waiting for upgrade over the air, hopefully the bugs will be sorted by then.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    Wraighty wrote:
    The only odd thing I know that has happened recently was lockup on ITV1 once whilst watching Ghostboat (the last 5 mins froze (lucky they have not switched analogue off yet!)

I am waiting for upgrade over the air, hopefully the bugs will be sorted by then.

I have the latest version, 1.00.04, of the firmware and had a lock up in the last five minutes of ghostboat also. So the new version won't fix this!

Are you sure the Humax is set to 16:9 output (I assume you have a widesreen TV) because the options for letterbox, 14:9 and 4:3 are disabled when this is selected?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes Humax is set to 16:9 sorry I said 14:9 before. I have not changed settings from when I bought it last year but checked them and still 16:9.
    Yes TV is widescreen too. Had that about 7 years or more. This problem has just started for no apparent reason.

Just tried 16:9m letterbox on Humax and CH11 is 4:3 same as when Humax set to 16:9. CH11 was always widescreen before the last few days
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just checked software version, its 1.00.04 updated 29 March 2006!!!! this must have happened over the air after all. It also ties in with the problem I am having date wise
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    Can't help but think the problem is with the TV.
    The Humax is behaving just the same as my box is, i.e. when the program is 16:9 my widescreen TV switches to full (16:9) and when the program is 4:3 it switches to panoramic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    Wraighty wrote:
    Hi, for no apparent reason some programs on some channels are now coming up in 4:3 where they used to be widescreen. The Humax is set to 14:9 ratio. the channels include CH4 (the Simpsons), CH5, E4 and ABC.

The adverts revert to 14:9 but once the programs come back on it switches to 4:3 (even if I force the TV to widescreen)

What you are describing is a normal operation, sometimes refered to as "scart switching". The programmes you mention, the Simpsons, programmes on ABC, etc. are all 4:3 aspect shows and therefore should be displayed as such on your TV. Most adverts are recorded in 16:9 aspect and therefore during their transmission your TV should revert to 16:9. Some people find this annoying and therefore will alter their TV settings to turn auto aspect ratio off (if supported), this will allow all transmissions to be shown in 16:9. However, 4:3 programmes will appear stretched horizontally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OK I accept what you are saying but I don't understand why these programs have been coming on as widescreen until this week, when I have not altered any TV or Humax settings since buying the Humax last year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    Wraighty wrote:
    OK I accept what you are saying but I don't understand why these programs have been coming on as widescreen until this week, when I have not altered any TV or Humax settings since buying the Humax last year.
    That's strange, maybe the Humax was not passing the signal through to your TV until after the update last week.

My 9200T does not correctly output the signal and all programs are shown as 16:9. However, if I connect the TV SCART of the Humax to my DVD recorder and then the recorder to my TV then the SCART switching works. Maybe the SCART connectors on the Humax are flakey and prone to error. I will be contacting Humax to try and get mine replaced, as I prefer programmes to be displayed in their correct aspect and I will be getting rid of my DVD recorder shortly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Wraighty wrote:
    I get this happening when the bug which causes the machine not to shut down properly manifests itself.

Does your 9200 switch on immediately with going through the loader sequence? If so, this is the probable cause.

Just switch off at the back for a few seconds and restart - this has always cured the problem for me on the few occasions it has occurred.

HTH.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Since the update I've noticed that my mine too no longer reverts to widescreen and that I have to select it with the TV remote. I don't remember having to do this as often before the update.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Exiddor wrote:
    Does your 9200 switch on immediately with going through the loader sequence? If so, this is the probable cause.

Sorry, that should read "WITHOUT going through the loader sequence".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    The same has just started happening with mine. Very strange. I have to use the TV menus to change it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorted it... set the humax to 4:3 letter box. came out. went back in, set it to 16:9 and now it works fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It goes through the loader sequence if I switch it off and on again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorted it... set the humax to 4:3 letter box. came out. went back in, set it to 16:9 and now it works fine.
    I already set it to letterbox and back to 16:9 but no change.
  • Options
    kaskas Posts: 440
    Forum Member
    I have a similar problem with my set up.
    Widescreen programmes are shown in widescreen - all ok
    4:3 programmes are displayed as 4:3 aspect with bands down the side, how do I get 4:3 to dedfault display as Smart (Sony) when using the Humax.
    When I watch TV through Sony IDTV it automatically switches to Smart when a non w/s aspect is broadcast - but I can't replicate this with the Humax.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kas wrote:
    I have a similar problem with my set up.
    Widescreen programmes are shown in widescreen - all ok
    4:3 programmes are displayed as 4:3 aspect with bands down the side, how do I get 4:3 to dedfault display as Smart (Sony) when using the Humax.
    When I watch TV through Sony IDTV it automatically switches to Smart when a non w/s aspect is broadcast - but I can't replicate this with the Humax.

It should be a setting on the Sony. When the humax is set to 16:9 it sends a signal to the TV saying whether it's a 4:3 or a 16:9 broadcast, and the TV does all the switching. My TV only auto switches when on 'Auto' mode, meaning I get the bars, but I prefer that. I don't know what the settings are on your sony TV.
  • Options
    kaskas Posts: 440
    Forum Member
    When watching live tv through the Sony IDTV, it is set to switch to 'Smart' when a 4:3 display is transmitted.
    However I cannot replicate this when using the Humax it insists on displaying 4:3 as 4:3 and I have to manually change to Smart, not a major problem but just a bit annoying as I am used to the TV doing the switching for me.
    kas
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    I have this problem too! I got a JVC 28" Widescreen - and the 4:3 is getting more annoying!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    I have had this problem just in the past week, my Humax (touch wood) has been pretty good since I first got it , one or two lockups and that is it, then last week I noticed that the footy was in 4:3 mode, didn't think too much of it, but this morning I couldn,t get text services, so i flipped the switch at the back and started her back up and hey presto!! Text and widescreen functionality again!!

e-man