Options

Next OTA update

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
Forum Member
Well I've finally done it and bought my Hummy. As my first PVR it is a revelation and I'm really happy after <24 hours of playing.

Thanks for all the help and assistance on this forum which was instrumental in helping make up my mind.

However I've not got a null modem cable (yet) and wondered if there was going to be a repeat of the firmware.

I've checked

http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/download_schedule.pl

but I've missed the most recent 'repeats' of V1.00.06. Does anyone know when it will be repeated if at all.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    You'd be wise to invest in a null modem cable so you can also update the loader to version a4.09.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info about the loader/ I did not realise there were restrictions on what you could update using the OTA updates. I'll geta null modem cable and do the updates next week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    Heres a great price, I got mine from here works out £1.98 inc delivery thanks to a tip from someone on this forum

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DB9-Pin-Female-to-Female-RS232-Serial-Null-Modem-Cable_W0QQitemZ9742453865QQcategoryZ57187QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 364
    Forum Member
    Under the instructions on the Humax website it says not to use an adapter with the null modem cable. Does anyone know why? My laptop doesn't have a serial port so I was going to use the USB to serial adapter I have but can't see a reason why an adapter shouldn't be used. A USB to serial cable costs about £25!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    brittonc wrote:
    Under the instructions on the Humax website it says not to use an adapter with the null modem cable. Does anyone know why? My laptop doesn't have a serial port so I was going to use the USB to serial adapter I have but can't see a reason why an adapter shouldn't be used. A USB to serial cable costs about £25!
    I bought a cheap USB-serial adaptor for my laptop but whilst it works well with some other equipment, its maximum speed falls short of that required by the Humax (c. 115kbs) and I can't get a successful transfer. I had no problem doing the firmware upgrade using my desktop PC.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 1,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use the following from Maplin (when they were cheaper then they are now)

Null Modem Cable

USB to 9 Pin Serial Adaptor

Works fine using my laptop, only have to change default com port to 4.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    I got a USB to RS232 adaptor and a null modem cable from cablestar on ebay - total cost delivered was £9 and it worked fine (after a few tips from some people on here)

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Cablestar-Limited
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    I upgraded to the latest 1.00.06 software OTA but still have loader version 4.08. I thought I'd try and download 4.09 from my PC but however many times I try XP will not let me install either the WDN4OAK or Formula4Neo download tools on my computer.
    I don't think 4.09 is much different and it will probably come OTA sometime but it would be nice to know why the tools won't install.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    I have the latest loader, really not worth the effort to upgrade, youll only notice it says DUOVISO on the display and maybe loads 0.5 secs faster!!
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 1,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Repeat OTA scheduled 30/6 - 1/7 One Day only
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Jay B wrote:
    I upgraded to the latest 1.00.06 software OTA but still have loader version 4.08. I thought I'd try and download 4.09 from my PC but however many times I try XP will not let me install either the WDN4OAK or Formula4Neo download tools on my computer.
    I don't think 4.09 is much different and it will probably come OTA sometime but it would be nice to know why the tools won't install.

I had the same problem, make a note of the error message you get, then search for it on micosoft.com, and there is a fix suggested. Did it for me

Woolfynorm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    woolfynorm wrote:
    I had the same problem, make a note of the error message you get, then search for it on micosoft.com, and there is a fix suggested. Did it for me

Woolfynorm
    I'll try that. I think the message said something about not being suitable for Windows/system32/NT for both applications. I'll make a note of the exact wording and run the search. Thanks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jay B wrote:
    I'll try that. I think the message said something about not being suitable for Windows/system32/NT for both applications. I'll make a note of the exact wording and run the search. Thanks.
    Not necessarily a good idea (IE if you do this it's at your own risk) - but choosing compatibility mode for Windows 98 will probably get it to work.
    1. Right click on the programme and choosing Properties,
    2. then the Compatibility tab
    3. then tick "run this programme in compatibility mode for:"
    4. then in the drop down box below chose "Windows 98/ Windows Me"
    5. Then click OK
    6. Then try running the programme again.
    Normally that only applies to pre 2001 games though (and vertually all of them - no need for DosBox, Scum VM etc...) not programmes from 2006.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    woolfynorm wrote:
    Not necessarily a good idea (IE if you do this it's at your own risk) - but choosing compatibility mode for Windows 98 will probably get it to work.....
    I tried to change the compatibility of both programmes but my PC still wasn't happy. I then tried the fix on Microsoft.com. It's a long time since I've tried to do something like that and it was a bit of a nightmare to understand but I've managed to install one of the Download Tools. I still haven't upgraded the Humax to Loader 4.09 yet because its recording something but it's looking a bit more hopeful than it was yesterday.
    My thanks to both of you for your advice.
  • Options
    Big JimBig Jim Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Another OTA update is provisionally scheduled for 10 - 12 July - see

http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/download_schedule.pl