signal quality and strength issues emley moor

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
Forum Member
Hi all,
i hope some one can give me some pointers here. I seem to have issues with certain channels broadcast via the emley moor transmitter in terms of rapidly fluctuating quality and signal strength. Take tmf for example (chan 21) i can see from the signal detection page that my quality indicator is bouncing like crazy from 40% to 90% then back down, then back up so on and so forth, this is identical on ftn, more4+1 and the hits, however the rest of the range that emits from emley eg itv4,e4+1 etc shows a constant quality and signal strength and are perfectly viewable. I do not posses to understand how these broadcasts work, but one would assume that channels transmitted from the same transmitter should be equal in strength and quality.
The rest of the freeview lineup is clear as a bell apart from the occasional stutter which i think is par for the course.
Any ideas most appreciated.
regards
blinky3i

P.s This is a recuring problem with the humax, which did not happen incidently with my previous freeview set top box.

Comments

• HummyownerHummyowner Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    According to the DTG website, Mux D (the one you are having problems with is transmitting at 4Kw whereas all other Muxes are transmitting at 10 Kw.

So it would appear that your Humax is not as senstive as your previous box......something I find strange. as normally people report good sensitivity.

Does your aerial feed directly into the Humax, or via a Video etc?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the signal strength can be low and the tuners on the humax copes (we've seen latter 20s percentages can work fine), but its the constant 'quality' fluctuations that is cause for concern initially. hmm

how far away is the transmitter?
    when does it occur?
    how long has this been happening?
    what is the signal strength and quality for the 6 mux's?
    are there any wifi, baby monitors, mobiles, cordless phones, other devices in the vacinity that are immediately movable to test difference?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    I receive Emley Moor, and I'm South of Sheffield, with quite a low signal. I have a PVR9200T.

On More4+1, The Hits etc, my signal quality is rock steady at 100%, even though my terrestrial picture has some ghosting.

Signal levels can vary with the weather from 20% to 50%, but quality is always steady.

Hopr this helps - Pete
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    thanks for the replys guy's.
    in answer to your questions marcdavis;

i live in mansfield, i believe emley moor is located in huddersfield, so about 50 miles away.

It occurs all the time, tonight especially bad getting 'encrypted channel or bad signal' message on tmf.ftn etc.

Been happening since i got the hummy (early march).

Not sure how to get the signal strength for all 6 muxes need some help here.

I have a wifi network, several mobiles in the house and a set of cordless phones, all of which i have switched off and did a retune, but to no avail the same probles still present.

Thanks, hope this helps
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blinky3i wrote:
    thanks for the replys guy's.
    in answer to your questions marcdavis;

i live in mansfield, i believe emley moor is located in huddersfield, so about 50 miles away.

It occurs all the time, tonight especially bad getting 'encrypted channel or bad signal' message on tmf.ftn etc.

Been happening since i got the hummy (early march).

Not sure how to get the signal strength for all 6 muxes need some help here.

I have a wifi network, several mobiles in the house and a set of cordless phones, all of which i have switched off and did a retune, but to no avail the same probles still present.

Thanks, hope this helps

Blinky,
    To get signal strength and quality for al 6 mux's a wooly way of doing it would be to go to a channel in one mux, then check the signal status screen. Perhaps you can check the signal strength and signal quality for these channels:

MUX1: BBC1/BBC2
    MUX2: ITV1/Channel4
    MUXA: FIVE/QVC
    MUXB: BBC4/Cbeebies
    MUXC: SKY THREE/SKY NEWS
    MUXD: THE HITS/UKBrightIdeas/MORE4+1

When checking for the strength and quality can you also watch out for the name of the transmitter that comes up for each one. Are all 6 MUXs coming from Emley Moor Transmitter?

You may be able to pick are closer or better transmitter for a certain MUX or all of your channels. Nottingham or Waltham may be better for your dodgy MUXD reception or all of them. See the following site to see suggested transmitters for your post code area to give you an idea: http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    50 miles is a long way. What's your aerial like? (You're going to need a good one!)

What is your analogue reception like? If it shows lots of interference (particularly the impulsive kind, caused by sparks from central heating thermostats, power tools, passing mopeds, etc.) then you are likely to have problems receiving digital. It's probably worth talking to a local aerial installer.