Tesco discontinues value range...

Comments

• zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Treble wrote: »
    Tesco will be discontinuing their value range. Replacing it with a more modern, better quality range...

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/tesco-ditches-1bn-value-range-101255907.html

New, better and possibly healthier food?

...Or simply a rebranding?

same food, different labels.. higher prices..:mad:
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends.

I find Nicki toilet roll is actually very good, triple ply, quilted and lightly lotioned and fragranced and it's only a pound for 4 rolls in quid shops and the like. However, there are a lot of really crap (excuse the pun) cheapies out there too. Easy concentrated washing up liquid (two for a pound at most places) is decent too, lasts me as long as Fairy does and cleans just as well.

If you have a TJ Morris or Home Bargain Centre near you try their washing powder. Doesn't have a brand or anything, it's just labelled 2in1, but they have a money back guarantee that it cleans as well as the best selling brands or your money back, and I find it does clean just as well too.

I would say try some of the cheaper stuff. You'll find some are good, and some are as crap as you think they are. But if you find good alternatives to the expensive brands, buy them again in future and save yourself some cash.

I've never come across good, cheap washing up liquid, I'll have to keep a look out. I always find cheap Jaffa Cakes taste pretty much the same as the branded ones. :D
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems a stupid decision. Tesco raising their prices will probably make a fair number of their customers explore what the other shops offer.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the point of a value range to help people who don't have a lot of money and who can't afford the more expensive stuff?

No, it's part of the overall strategy. Supermarkets do not have a Social Assistance function.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tesco is a very good shop but their own brand stuff ....

Occasionally I buy it by mistake and am hugely sorry when I siscover it because it is rather poor. Also they tend tp try to hide the branded stuff and I usually take quite a few minutes searching for the Burds Eye frozen food.

I wonder why Tesco don't just make their things nicer: I can understand why their canned tomaties are hard stalky bullerts and their jars of peaches are reject fruts, but why are their frozen beef slices so nasty to taste? Very odd.

Actually the best cheapo stuff is Asda marmalade, loads of fruit content and nice. (I only go their for the tinned chesnuts but stock up on marmalade when I do).

Tesco sparkling water is great value, if water can be that. Not very fizzy but cheap and it's water. Will be sorry to see that go.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    Tesco sparkling water is great value, if water can be that. Not very fizzy but cheap and it's water. Will be sorry to see that go.

I nominate for Post of The Week.:)
  • SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    As far as ambient foods (tinned foods, cereals, bread, pastas etc) people could just buy the same stuff from Aldi, for roughly the same price yet better quality. As far as fresh stuff goes I wouldn't touch the Value range, but again fresh stuff from Aldi is top quality and affordable.
  • QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hang on a minute, I thought that's what their "Oak Lane" range was supposed to be for, to fill the gap between the Value and Own Brand range. Slightly better quality than Value but cheaper than Tesco brand.

Confused!
  • newda898newda898 Posts: 5,464
    Forum Member
    QTC13 wrote: »
    Hang on a minute, I thought that's what their "Oak Lane" range was supposed to be for, to fill the gap between the Value and Own Brand range. Slightly better quality than Value but cheaper than Tesco brand.

Confused!

I always thought that was for the Value snobs - those who bought value products but didn't want their friends thinking they were buying Value products. They'd rather fill their cupboards with random names like Oak Lane, Furry Bush, Glory Hole, or Sunny Creek that blue striped Tesco Value packets.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QTC13 wrote: »

Confused!
    The idea behind that was apparently to introduce some unfamiliar manufacturers' names, emulating Aldi and Lidl. It always seemed strange to have both that concept and the Value range.
  • QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newda898 wrote: »
    I always thought that was for the Value snobs - those who bought value products but didn't want their friends thinking they were buying Value products. They'd rather fill their cupboards with random names like Oak Lane, Furry Bush, Glory Hole, or Sunny Creek that blue striped Tesco Value packets.
    John259 wrote: »
    The idea behind that was apparently to introduce some unfamiliar manufacturers' names, emulating Aldi and Lidl. It always seemed strange to have both that concept and the Value range.

There's a bit of truth in both your posts.

Their Oak Lane was slightly better than their Value range, but, ingredients wise, not as good as the Tesco brand.

Most of the increase in price wasn't actually due to a better product as such - more to do with increased printing costs for more elaborate packaging. Well, for the products we manufactured for them this was the case.
  • emily222emily222 Posts: 2,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tescos has got to be the worse of the supermarkets now compared to others both in quality value and morals
  • 3PS3PS Posts: 822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit there vaule orange juice and apple juice are nice and i like there wafer chocolate bars that about it though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    The company insists that the change is more than a rebranding exercise and many of the 550 lines are being substantially improved, either in content or in packaging.

Sure, Tesco. :rolleyes:

That's like me insisting that I'm never going to have a shit again in my life. :D
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    Sainsbury's did something like this with their "by Sainsbury's" range which is very good from what i've had of it. Hopefully the new Tesco Value range will still be very affordable because i'm sure a lot of people are relying on those low prices.

The By Sainsburys range is Sainsburys normal quality products, they did improve some at the same time.

Sainsburys ranges are Basic, which competes with Tesco Value range, but slightly better, then you got the by Sainsburys range which is the normal quality range and then Taste the difference which is the higher quality, which competes with Tescos finest range, I think that what Tescos calls it.

Not been into Tescos to buy anything for months, only go in with other people.

No doubt Tesco will put the price of this new range higher than the Value range.
  • Colin AllcarsColin Allcars Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    They've been raising the price of the value range for a while now. There is almost parity in price with the standard tesco goods.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,565
    Forum Member
    Creamtea wrote: »
    I've never come across good, cheap washing up liquid, I'll have to keep a look out. I always find cheap Jaffa Cakes taste pretty much the same as the branded ones. :D

The best way to save on quality washing liquid is to transfer good stuff into a soap dispenser.
    It lasts for ages because the holes in the standard bottles are far too big and you end up using far more than is needed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 280
    Forum Member
    Good excuse to raise prices.:(

Some value stuff is better than branded but one day realised one value product was actually more expensive than the branded equivalent that wasn't on deal!
  • JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    They've been raising the price of the value range for a while now. There is almost parity in price with the standard tesco goods.

Their butter is the same as the brand names now and their bread has also rocketed in price.I do not want to pay more than a pound for a loaf of bread. I will eat more cream crackers and ryvita though this healthier option is also more expensive now.
  • Colin AllcarsColin Allcars Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    VenusMars wrote: »
    Good excuse to raise prices.:(

Some value stuff is better than branded but one day realised one value product was actually more expensive than the branded equivalent that wasn't on deal!

An example is the mushrooms. Fresher and better than the standard range but cheaper because they have a bit of dirt on them.

They cottoned on that everyone was buying them and leaving the others so they raised the price.
  • thelostonethelostone Posts: 2,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live off Tesco value range. So hope the cost is not going up & if it is not by too much. Why can not one think of poor people for once and keep cheap food.
  • JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    Biscuits are expensive and brands like McVities are way too dear. The Tesco Value range is the one I can afford , but I notice the price has gone up and the packets of Tesco Value chocolate biscuits are smaller.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    Netto sparkling water was great value. Not very watery but cheap and it was fizzy. Will be sorry to miss the bubbles up my nose.
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always buy Daisy toilet rolls and dishwsher tablets, Nikki kitchen towels, Oak Lane baked beans (as they have a far nicer flavoured sauce than any other, plus the beans are actually soft, not like bullets as Heinz are) and Tesco Value biscuits and chocolate bars. A lot of the stuff I wouldn't bother with, but I also buy Tesco's own brand products like tomato ketchup and tins of chopped tomatoes and I find them quite acceptable.

As has been mentioned already, try it before you condemn it, some things are good and some are a complete waste of whatever little money you spend on them. I can't really see the point in them just doing this in order to raise prices, but I also fail to see why they are bothering at all if they gain nothing! I just hope they don't do away with the brands I like, Tesco is my main supermarket and there is only one other available to me where I live, so we can't all shop around or be too fussy. We shall see, I suppose :)
  • HenryBaneHenryBane Posts: 4,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I make a lot of dishes with chopped tomatoes, I always buy value chopped tomatoes as they are as good as other brands, especially if I'm using them in a curry. When Value are trying to replicate established brands with a unique taste they are hit and miss, it really is worth paying extra for Heinz baked beans for example, the value version tastes strange. Tesco Express seem to stock value ranges depending on the area, in Dulwich they sell no value range items at all, but in Queen's Road Peckham branch they sell lots of value items.