Options

Sex and the City 2 - bitter disappointment??

BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,734
Forum Member
Just back from Sex and the City and am very disappointed with it. It felt like there was no actual storyline and had a slapstick feel to it.

Samantha was probably the best in the film but given her age and character she seems to evolving into Liz McDonald.

I think it's time it was put to bed now, before they just ruin it.

Comments

• Options
    SoundburstSoundburst Posts: 13,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually enjoyed the first movie to be honest but I just got into the series (after it was cancelled :( ) when I was forced to watch it (honest!) and all my prejudice went away as I laughed throughout at its filth.

I think they should do the series again. . .as they could have a good lot of series left. . .if they do these films, they will age dramatically between productions and it won't last as long.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree about another series, I would prefer that to another movie. But I guess the series wont make as much money - apparantley SJP stands to make $50m from this movie alone. The first movie was brilliant - each character had their own big stories and was emotional yet funny. There is a lack of a major story in this one and where it is funny in places, I feel very disappointed by it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After hearing really bad reviews of it I was pretty worried, but it suprised me and I really enjoyed it. What I liked the most was that although men were obviously involved (!) it seemed to revolve more around the girls together having a laugh and their friendship than the previous film and I enjoyed that aspect of it.

It was also great to have Samantha being much more prominent in it as she was grossly underused in the last film!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have seen the first, i enjoyed it, even though i was never into the series. I have seen about 15 eps altogether over the full run of the show. If i see the second film ill wait for it to come on sky, it doesnt look that great from the ads iv seen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm a huge fan, have seen all the episodes more times than I care to remember, LOVED the first film but just thought this was really bad. It lacked a big core storyline and I doubt this will be the huge success that the first film was.
  • Options
    katiemackkatiemack Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    There was a lack of a story I'll agree with that, it was good in parts but nowhere near as good as the first!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Watched it last night, was so boring I walked out!!!
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I loved it. But to be honest i think it was more that I loved seeing the charactors again as oppose to loving the storyline.
    Samantha and Miranda had me in absolute stitches throughout, and Charlotte did too towards the end. I just wish Carrie would take a back seat for a change and give the other girls a decent storyline. I had no sympathy for either her or Big. I also felt the whole wedding scene was built around getting Liza on board. It was very funny but pretty pointless and I find it hard to believe Stanford and Anthony would ever marry :confused:

I would love another film, but I agree with the above in regards to another series. That would be fantastic, but very unlikely :(

Back to this movie, don't let the reviews put you off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did enjoy the 1st movie,the 2nd has a rating of 3/10 on imdb so i dont think ill bother,that ranks just above troll 2 lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    I loved it, i just took it for what it was, a fun film with lovely clothes and shoes etc and it made me laugh, dont be put off by negative reviews!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    Rhodes666 wrote: »
    I did enjoy the 1st movie,the 2nd has a rating of 3/10 on imdb so i dont think ill bother,that ranks just above troll 2 lol

Never ever use IMDB ratings as a guide, even allowing for Troll 2. lol
    I was on the pafe for Tooth Fairy and there is a whole thread about people giving it 1 out of 10 based on the trailer or just because it stars Dwayne Johnson. That film is now hitting an 4.6 rating despite that which I think is a fair mark.

I just had a look at what the rating is for this film. Still only an 3.3 but that is after 963 votes. Considering it's just opened here and the US I think it's a bit early to write it off as an 3.3 film as of yet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely love Sex and the City! Love all the episodes that were made and the first film. I went to see it last night and was really dissapointed in the whole film, Sure there were funny lines thoughout but for me there was no storyline and Carrie was just a cow throughout it.

I really hope they dont make another one cause I feel that will just ruin all the hard work and success that went into the series and the first film.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was absolutely awful. I'm a big fan of the show and liked the first film but this was not worthy to sit alongside them. My friend that went with me (also a big fan) also thought it was terrible.
    They just had no material for a film yet somehow managed to drag it through nearly 2 1/2 hours! The whole section in Abu Dhabi was just weird and wrong not to mention extremely racist. I was actually cringing at how stupid that was especially the scene with Samantha dropping the contents of her bag in the street and doing the finger, swearing and thrusting at the men and women etc. What was the need for that? Also the scene where the women in burkha's remove them to reveal the latest Dior collection underneath or something. Bad bad bad.

I thought the outfits were mostly hideous, makeup was vile and the camera angles too were very unflattering. Samantha was reduced to a desperate woman rather than the sexy, confident and powerful woman we know. Charlotte and Miranda just had no storyline (although the drunk scene was funny) and the bit with Aiden felt like it was just thrown in at the last minute too.

I really hope they leave it now although this will make a fortune so no doubt a 3rd will be on the way. Although I have no idea what it'll be about? Carrie having a baby?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it, i just took it for what it was, a fun film with lovely clothes and shoes etc and it made me laugh, dont be put off by negative reviews!

But Sex and the CIty is about alot more than that but that's what this film reduced it too. This is why people are a disappointed.
  • Options
    ben1993ben1993 Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I loved it, neithe rof the films are as good as the series but the second film wa smore enjoyable than the first imo, I havn't laughed so much at the cinema in ages.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pharoah wrote: »
    I was actually cringing at how stupid that was especially the scene with Samantha dropping the contents of her bag in the street and doing the finger, swearing and thrusting at the men and women etc. What was the need for that?

That scene was classic. I swear the whole cinema was roaring with laughter. I think Kim Cattrall made the movie to be honest. She pissed all over SJPs performance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    That scene was classic. I swear the whole cinema was roaring with laughter. I think Kim Cattrall made the movie to be honest. She pissed all over SJPs performance.[/QUOTE]

I hope you mean figuratively! :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That scene was classic. I swear the whole cinema was roaring with laughter. I think Kim Cattrall made the movie to be honest. She pissed all over SJPs performance.[/QUOTE]

I hope you mean figuratively! :eek:

:D

Actually, thats maybe a bit harsh. It's not that I didn't like SJPs peformance... i just didn't like Carrie. Samantha and Miranda was totally brilliant whilst Carrie was just the same old 'the world revolves around me and my problems'... She was a total bitch to Charlotte at that scene in the elevator!
  • Options
    cath99cath99 Posts: 6,826
    Forum Member
    I went last night and thought it pretty awful. Like someone else said, it was more slapstick in some cases and it was fairly obvious what was going to happen in some of the rather weak plotlines. Some funny scenes - Charlotte and Miranda getting drunk, the wedding, some Samantha one liners, but 2 1/2 hours was just far too long and the plot was pretty none existant.
  • Options
    MaxCherryMaxCherry Posts: 9,013
    Forum Member
    Before I went to see it, I saw it getting slagged off on E! News by the movie critic. He said nothing much happens in the film and apart from Aiden making an appearance, not a lot else goes on.

But then they showed SJP saying how its not meant to be too serious and it was just a fun summer adventure film to see and I kind of agree.

I saw it yesterday afternoon.I actually prefered it to the first one. It was just like watching 5 episodes in a row.

The first one was too unbelievable IMO, they tried to make it too dramatic.

I'd actually go and see it again before it finishes.

Funniest moment:
    When Samantha's birkin rips at the end and all the condoms fall out and she totally loses it with the locals. ''I HAVE SEXXXXXXX!!!!''
  • Options
    MaxCherryMaxCherry Posts: 9,013
    Forum Member
    That scene was classic. I swear the whole cinema was roaring with laughter. I think Kim Cattrall made the movie to be honest.

I agree :D

I also liked the storyline with Charlotte kind of cracking up over the kids. She wanted them for so long, now she's realised what a nightmare they can be!

*sip* :)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the film, but think that they could have cut half an hour out of it.

There were funny parts and sad parts too particularly
    with Charlott and Miranda feeling guilty about how Charlotte finds motherhood hard and Miranda WANTING to work....

I thought that some of the film was a bit too "Carry On... ish" if you know what I mean.

I think that they should not make another one.... the films, IMO did not capture what the series was about.... I know that they have grown up, had families... etc... but they need to leave it be now... or else SATC will be remembered for two naff films and not the great TV series it was.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MaxCherry wrote: »
    I agree :D

I also liked the storyline with Charlotte kind of cracking up over the kids. She wanted them for so long, now she's realised what a nightmare they can be!

*sip* :)

Yeah that Samantha scene was hilarious, she just flipped.

I also loved the bit with Charlotte and Miranda drinking and Charlotte admitting her first thought was "I can't lose the nanny" :D:D

Carrie was just as selfish as usual, I much prefer the other characters to be honest despite her being the protaganist (sp), so to speak.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I also loved the bit with Charlotte and Miranda drinking and Charlotte admitting her first thought was "I can't lose the nanny" :D:D

:D That was great. Until then i was getting a bit board of Charlotte, but from that scene onward she was great. I also felt Charlotte and Miranda had a bit of a personality swap from last movie. I loved Abu Dhabi Miranda :p

Other highlights were
    - Samantha shouting "Where the **** is Charlotte?" Whilst escaping the town only to cut to her getting some 'I Love Abu Dhabi' shirts.
    -Mirandas 'La La La La La' to the hotel staff trying to get all their luggage in that car boot.
    -Samathas panic at being told she was going to be charged from then on and the frantic packing that followed.
    -The whole karaoke sequence and Samanthas 'I AM WOMAN' at the end.
    -'Lawrence of my labia' :D
    -'Could this be any gayer?', followed by Liza appearing from behind the certain
    - 'Paula' Abdul
    - Samatha behind her desk applying her menopause cream

Basically everything apart from the Carrie/Big/Aiden storyline :p
  • Options
    Mad MaxMad Max Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahh went last night and loved it.

Yes it was definitely more comedy than the first one but so what.

Me and the girls went armed with our plastic glasses and pre bottled cosmos and had a ball.

Cried and laughed from beginning to end and thought everything was so fabulously fun and camp.

And as for LIza Minelli that part had us in stitches was a great night and glad I didnt listen to the reviewers that panned it ;)