Options

Life without alcohol?

n1guyn1guy Posts: 1,173
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My New Years resolution is to give up drinking, Alcohol has been a major part of my life for the past 15/16 years, I'm a binge drinker this past, I only ever drank at the weekends but it is almost every weekend, I'm not a big drinker really about 6/7 beers in a sitting but the issue is it causes me bad anxiety the following day, I darn't leave the house or I have a panic attack, so I need to quit. Problem is what do I do at the weekends without alcohol?

A few beers at the weekend is like my little reward for an other wise crap week in a career I hate, I look forward to my beers all week, they are in fact the highlight of my week sadly. I did give it up before for 4 months when made redundant, didn't feel like it so go figure.

I want to give up drinking because of the anxiety which seems to be getting worse the older I get but nothing in life really gives me any joy if that makes sense, at the moment I am looking forward to a few beers tonight on NYE, take them away what is there to look forward to tonight? Crap TV? after that what is there to look forward to? Back to work next week? and after that? same crap week in week out.

As I say alcohol has been a major part of my life, how do I replace it? Sure I could go out for a meal at the weekends, go to cinema this that and the other, problem is I only earn min wage I can't afford it.

Comments

• Options
    euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    n1guy wrote: »
    As I say alcohol has been a major part of my life, how do I replace it? Sure I could go out for a meal at the weekends, go to cinema this that and the other, problem is I only earn min wage I can't afford it.

If you're not spending money on alcohol, then surely you'll have more money to spend on other stuff?

I don't really drink, for similar reasons, I get depressed, and being honest, I don't miss it. Give it a couple of weeks, and if you're feeling a lot better without the anxiety, it should make it easier to cut down/give up
  • Options
    asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    it's a mind over matter situation you're in - just substitute the lager with a soft drink - maybe get a non-alcoholic beer to start weaning yourself off. the key is to not feel like you're depriving yourself of anything.

dont make it a big deal otherwise it will feel like it is.
  • Options
    LamparillaLamparilla Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went through a similar amount of angst, but I found a simple solution - just do exactly what you were doing before, but order a non-alcoholic drink at the bar. The pubs I used to go in soon realised that I was on Diet Coke or mineral water, or whatever.

If you think that not drinking alcohol means that you can't go into a pub, why punish yourself? I found that another advantage was that I could go out in the car rather than spending a fortune on taxis. That reinforced the 'no alcohol' rule even more.

Now, the problem is of course that if your intention in going out is really to get bladdered and waking up not remembering what happened (hence the anxiety) you have other issues!

I managed to go without a drop for over 6 months and felt a lot better for it. Unfortunately I'm back on the booze again, but as you can see from another thread on here, I'm going to do something about it as soon as soon as we get into the New Year. I know I can do it - gave up smoking 2 years ago tomorrow.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    asp746 wrote: »
    it's a mind over matter situation you're in - just substitute the lager with a soft drink - maybe get a non-alcoholic beer to start weaning yourself off. the key is to not feel like you're depriving yourself of anything.

there is a bit of advice I was given when I gave up smoking years ago. "remember if you slip, you haven't fallen" in other words if you do have a drink (or 2 or 10) one day don't give upgiving up. just go on from that day and continue with your plan to stop. One slip does not a failure make!:D
  • Options
    emnatemnat Posts: 1,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My New Years resolution is to give up drinking, Alcohol has been a major part of my life for the past 15/16 years, I'm a binge drinker this past, I only ever drank at the weekends but it is almost every weekend, I'm not a big drinker really about 6/7 beers in a sitting but the issue is it causes me bad anxiety the following day, I darn't leave the house or I have a panic attack, so I need to quit. Problem is what do I do at the weekends without alcohol?

A few beers at the weekend is like my little reward for an other wise crap week in a career I hate, I look forward to my beers all week, they are in fact the highlight of my week sadly. I did give it up before for 4 months when made redundant, didn't feel like it so go figure.

I want to give up drinking because of the anxiety which seems to be getting worse the older I get but nothing in life really gives me any joy if that makes sense, at the moment I am looking forward to a few beers tonight on NYE, take them away what is there to look forward to tonight? Crap TV? after that what is there to look forward to? Back to work next week? and after that? same crap week in week out.

I don't really see the harm in having a few beers at the weekend. The anxiety you get after drinking is probably more to do with the weekend being nearly over and the thought of going back for another whole week doing a job you clearly hate.
  • Options
    spimfspimf Posts: 6,342
    Forum Member
    I haven't had a drink in nearly 2 years, I used to have a glass of wine every night, more at weekends. I just replaced wine with non alcoholic stuff, shloer mainly :D I don't have it every night, most nights i just have a nice cuppa and some cake instead (still a treat for myself) and then on a weekend, once my baby is in bed I pour a nice ice cold glass of shloer into a fancy glass I got myself, and chill out watching a film or whatever. My evenings aren't greatly different to how they used to be at all only minus the alcohol.

I genuinely can't see myself ever starting to drink regularly again, I've realised how much I prefer the person I am when I'm sober, and I really don't feel like I'm missing out.

Try just substituting for a non or low alcohol beer and see how you go. You can still kick back and drink 6 pints of it, but you won't suffer the same as if it were proper booze
  • Options
    RuinedGirlRuinedGirl Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think perhaps looking at the reasons why you drink would be a good way to bring about change. You've already mentioned that you dislike your job- is there any way you could do further training to advance your career? Or find something else all together? You seem to be drinking as a way of escaping from your mundane life (which, as is the case with most people consists of work, work, drinking, work.) If you had at least one positive thing in your life to look forward to, then you could probably quite easily give up the alcohol, which at the minute seems to be the only thing getting you through the working week.

I'm in exactly the same situation myself. At work, I'm counting down the hours until I can drink just so I can get rid of the tediousness of my life. I also get anxiety the morning after drinking, and I think it's because I realise that it's becoming a problem and that it's the only think I look forward to, which makes me anxious. It sounds like you're in a rather similar situation.

Try to find another activity which you enjoy, and more importantly, which gives you a feeling a self-worth rather than a feeling of anxiety. I know it's easier said than done, but the small steps all add up.
  • Options
    Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Take up exersize of some sort of hobby.
  • Options
    workhorseworkhorse Posts: 2,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Op think back to before you started drinking,you managed perfectly well without it.it wasn't an essential to your day and you can get that back but see your gp,who will help you.good luck.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve35 wrote: »
    Take up exersize of some sort of hobby.

Good way to build up a nice thirst...
  • Options
    Tel69Tel69 Posts: 27,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was told a month ago to quit drinking after a nasty bout of pancreatitis which I caught from a virus. All of my mates drink and yes nights out can get messy but I realise I have no choice but to comply. I'm sure it wi be difficult the next time I go out but the consequences are to bad to contemplate falling off the wagon. I think your problem is training your mind and I wish you the very best.:)
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    My New Years resolution is to give up drinking,.

i wish you the best of luck, i too am planning on giving up alcohol, as for subsituiting it, drink soft drinks,
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    asp746 wrote: »

when i gave up the booze, first time for 23 years... then re started 3 years ago, been off it again now for 12 months today.
    i find walking the dog or just walking, will take your mind off it. and after a couple of weeks the craving will stop for you., the smell of booze makes me feel sick. and to be honest i do not miss it. .
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    I hardly drink at all these days and I was looking around for something else to drink. My solution was to buy organic fruit juices from Amazon. There's loads of exotic juices online that you'll never see in the supermarkets, as well as the organic ones. I've just bought the last 2 cases of organic pear juice from a Polish Amazon seller and his last case of organic cherry and apple juice.

I'm going to send the seller an email and ask him to import some more as I'm drinking so much of it!
  • Options
    dorahalldorahall Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think alcohol is the problem particularly, but the fact you have very little else going on in your life at the moment and it provides you comfort and an brief escape from reality.

You have to take a step back and look at ways you can improve your life, and give yourself something to look forward to at the weekend other than a good drinking session.

It doesn't have to cost heaps of money, you could join a running/walking/hiking club, a book group, take up some sort of sport, or learn a martial art - it would give you the chance to meet other people, broaden your social circle and may lead to invitations to other events.

Good luck.
  • Options
    n1guyn1guy Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I think the problem is I need something else to look forward to at the weekends, I also study at the OU so don't have a lot of free time for things but just something to do or look forward to on a Sat night.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    At one point I didn't drink for two years and was still sociable and went to the pub with friends
    I just went off alcohol

Don't see it as something that restricts you, just as how it is for now
  • Options
    Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could you try some low alcohol stuff first OP like the 2% (or less) lagers, that way you're having some of the benefits of drink (even if it is just the placebo effect) but maybe without the anxiety the next day. Tesco own brand basic lager is only 2% and doesn't taste too bad and the last time I bought some about a year ago they were only £1 for four!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I stopped for 7 years with no problem socially. Main problem was what else to drink as I can't stand sweet, fizzy drinks.

Mostly I drank what I used have occasionaly in the boozy days, tonic water. People just assume you're drinking gin or vodka and don't make an issue of it. You can even rub some gin around the rim of the glass if you want to feel like you're indulging.

I will be joining you though in giving up again, or at least really cutting back. Good luck!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    dorahall wrote: »
    I don't think alcohol is the problem particularly, but the fact you have very little else going on in your life at the moment and it provides you comfort and an brief escape from reality.

You have to take a step back and look at ways you can improve your life, and give yourself something to look forward to at the weekend other than a good drinking session.

It doesn't have to cost heaps of money, you could join a running/walking/hiking club, a book group, take up some sort of sport, or learn a martial art - it would give you the chance to meet other people, broaden your social circle and may lead to invitations to other events.

Good luck.
    I think that is very good advice,you need to join something and get out more at weekends,i know what you going threw and its very hard but you can stop and inprove your life.And just think of how much money you will save and feel better in the long run.Good luck :)
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Find an enabler that suits you.
  • Options
    TYCOTYCO Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    t's so sad that drinking like senseless animals is instilled in you as teenagers and you have no idea that in many more countries than not, people treat alcohol as it is supposed to be treated - something to have irregularly and in moderation.
  • Options
    humdrummerhumdrummer Posts: 4,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in the same boat. I'll be knocking the drink on the head as of today. Smoking and food are also to be tackled at some point.
    When I think about what I'm doing to my body I am certain there are quicker and less painful ways to kill myself. :)

I hated alcohol as a teen and never had a space for it as a young adult. I've had the year from hell (2012 that is) and it started as a glass once all my stuff was done. Then a glass every night, then two, then three....

I'm now roughly at a bottle and a half of red per night.

Things that I know help me, some may sound very sad but, there you go.

I put fizzy water into my over-sized wine glass and chug on that. I don't know why it helps, it's not like I'm pretending I'm drinking wine, I think it's just a part of the whole ritual. I've been surprised in the past at how effective that is.

I don't change my actions at all, just the content of my drink. I have a drinking buddy and it's, again, surprisingly easy to still see her and have a laugh on a Friday night with a cuppa in hand.

Download/buy a good book or film or series (I'm on Merlin first series right now and just finished the book Robopocalypse). I'm also a fan of 'find it' games or those silly games where you are serving food in a restaurant. They are irritating but, addicitive, I find two hours can fly by just like that. However, I have gone to bed and dreamed I'm still playing the game and serving pizza to angry customers who's tempers are fraying :D.

Although may be drinking at home is not your thing - if it's only going out that you struggle with ask yourself if it is the drink you look forward to or getting out of the house and seeing your friends. Because you can still get out of the house and see your friends, that doesn't have to change, just the contents of your glass.

Good luck :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    I gave up drinking almost a year ago after being hospitalized with pancreatitis.

Although at first I found it hard to imagine a life without alcohol, you soon get used to it and will feel happier and healthier for it. I have had a lot of people comment that I look much better since not drinking.

It can be a struggle at times. But getting through Xmas and waking up on New Years Day without a stinking hangover is an amazing feeling. And looking forward to achieving a year of sobriety on Saturday.

I still go to pubs as most of my friends are big drinkers and find that it is now much cheaper.

Enjoying a nice meal is now my substitute.

Just keep the reason you are doing it at the forefront of your mind. Good luck!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been straight edge for 2 years now and I don't miss booze or caffiene. Once you get past the first couple of weeks you will wonder what all the fuss was about.