Queen I want to break free video based on CS

TeganRhanTeganRhan Posts: 2,947
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Now look I know it's old news, I was born 1986 and I love queen but I never knew the video was based on CS and more over Hilda Ogdan. I know CS did a version for comic relief or children in need back in the day but I'm like wow. FYI I lost my ignorance due to the recent bbc shows about queen . Now I/we(others who didn't know)know.

Comments

• Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    TeganRhan wrote: »
    Now look I know it's old news, I was born 1986 and I love queen but I never knew the video was based on CS and more over Hilda Ogdan. I know CS did a version for comic relief or children in need back in the day but I'm like wow. FYI I lost my ignorance due to the recent bbc shows about queen . Now I/we(others who didn't know)know.

I never knew this! I'll have a google :)
  • melloncollie06melloncollie06 Posts: 2,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's also acknowledged by the remaining members as the reason why they failed to make it huge in the states.... The Americans didn't understand the humour in it and thought it was just a bunch of blokes wearing frocks.
  • Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    It's also acknowledged by the remaining members as the reason why they failed to make it huge in the states.... The Americans didn't understand the humour in it and thought it was just a bunch of blokes wearing frocks.

Queen did make it big in America.

There albums from A Night at the Opera through to The Game all went multiplatinum in America.

It was after the Game that their popularity declined.

Their album Hot Space was not as well received as previous albums and Queen did not tour America after the Hot Space Tour. On top of this they changed their record label in America.

The video for I want to break free may have contributed to their decline in America but it was not the only reason.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    Ditch Simon and the X-Factor and bring back bands like Queen that's what I say. I want to break free was an amazing video and a great tribute to Corrie. A definite classic.
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Petro wrote: »
    Ditch Simon and the X-Factor and bring back bands like Queen that's what I say. I want to break free was an amazing video and a great tribute to Corrie. A definite classic.

The current singer with Queen is only with them because of Simon, so I don't fully understand that logic :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    Whedonite wrote: »
    The current singer with Queen is only with them because of Simon, so I don't fully understand that logic :confused:

Freddy Mercury recorded I want to break free. Nothing to do with Simon or anyone singing in place of Freddy. What's not to understand? Do you think Simon put Freddy there too? lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Whedonite wrote: »

What's this got to do with the original band and the original hits? Simon Cowell is the reason there are less talented bands out there. They are not getting the breaks because of all the wannabes and money to be made through rubbish like the X-Factor. It's a real shame. The music scene could be so much better if people just gave it a chance and stopped swallowing the rubbish Cowell churns out.
  • Ashley79Ashley79 Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    JTSee2 wrote: »
    What's this got to do with the original band and the original hits? Simon Cowell is the reason there are less talented bands out there. They are not getting the breaks because of all the wannabes and money to be made through rubbish like the X-Factor. It's a real shame. The music scene could be so much better if people just gave it a chance and stopped swallowing the rubbish Cowell churns out.

Maybe the poster you are responding to is just too young to appreciate real musical talent, lol.
  • Counting.No.AgeCounting.No.Age Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    Ashley79 wrote: »
    Maybe the poster you are responding to is just too young to appreciate real musical talent, lol.

I hate responses like this. Music is subjective; if someone doesn't like what you like it doesn't make them wrong, it just makes their tastes different. Personally I don't like Queen, I can appreciate they were talented but I'd rather not listen to them. Does that mean I'm too young to appreciate 'real musical talent' ?
    Forum Member
    I hate responses like this. Music is subjective; if someone doesn't like what you like it doesn't make them wrong, it just makes their tastes different. Personally I don't like Queen, I can appreciate they were talented but I'd rather not listen to them. Does that mean I'm too young to appreciate 'real musical talent' ?

The so called music that you get on X Factor is no different from what One Dimension etc churn out.

That sort of Music was known as teeny bopper music in the past and was not taken seriously by anyone.

Real Music was Blues, old R&B, Rock, Folk, Jazz, Soul, Electronic, Hip Hop & Even Country.

What Simon Cowell etc churn out is Muzak (also known as elevator music).
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Petro wrote: »
    Freddy Mercury recorded I want to break free. Nothing to do with Simon or anyone singing in place of Freddy. What's not to understand? Do you think Simon put Freddy there too? lol

I think I just took your post too literally. Since you said "bring back", I thought you were referring to their current Freddie-free incarnation, since he won't be back anytime soon.
    JTSee2 wrote: »

I just read the post wrong.
    Ashley79 wrote: »

Way to be ridiculously patronising. I'm in my 20s and Queen were my favourite band when I was a teenager. Age has nothing to do with it.
  • Counting.No.AgeCounting.No.Age Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    Old Man 43 wrote: »
    The so called music that you get on X Factor is no different from what One Dimension etc churn out.

That sort of Music was known as teeny bopper music in the past and was not taken seriously by anyone.

Real Music was Blues, old R&B, Rock, Folk, Jazz, Soul, Electronic, Hip Hop & Even Country.

What Simon Cowell etc churn out is Muzak (also known as elevator music).

Not taken seriously by pretentious self appointed music critics you mean? I think you'll find that it's actually know as Pop, a legitimate musical genre even if musical snobbery says otherwise. Pop seems to get a very raw deal from a certain crowd, I imagine it goes along with the same argument about singers/bands who don't write their own music. What amuses me most is that stuff like the Beatles definitely started out as Pop.

Also the phrase 'real music' is daft, what exactly is fake music I wonder? Did I just imagine those sounds from my radio?
  • Heathyheath_Heathyheath_ Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The beauty about music is that taste is subjective and not everybody is going to like the same thing. One of my favourite bands of all time is an acid rock and blues band from the 70s yet at the same time I've never enjoyed most of Queen's music, I appreciate them but they're not amazing in my eyes like some of the other acts back then were.

It's still incredible to hear that a music video to such an iconic song was based on Coronation Street though, something I never knew before so thanks for that OP
  • Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    TeganRhan wrote: »

I never realised it was based on Corrie :blush:

Roger Taylor was an amazing looking girl in the video.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never understood how Freddie was supposed to be Bet Lynch with a black bob wig
    Forum Member
    Not taken seriously by pretentious self appointed music critics you mean? I think you'll find that it's actually know as Pop, a legitimate musical genre even if musical snobbery says otherwise. Pop seems to get a very raw deal from a certain crowd, I imagine it goes along with the same argument about singers/bands who don't write their own music. What amuses me most is that stuff like the Beatles definitely started out as Pop.

Also the phrase 'real music' is daft, what exactly is fake music I wonder? Did I just imagine those sounds from my radio?

I know about pretentious Music Critics and getting a raw deal from some of them.

I am a 52 year old fan of Heavy Metal music.

I have heard every jibe form the likes of NME journalists etc about my favourite music.

I can tell you that back in the day no one (apart from teeny boppers) would have given X Factor and the likes of One Dimension the time of day.

Now it seems as if the only music that is available in the mainstream is manufactured pop and watered down R & B.

As for the Beatles. Yes they started out as pop but they grew beyond that and created great music. Could you honestly see One Dimension doing that.

Real music is music that means something. Not music that has been created to a formula.

So sad that a country that produced The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Cream, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis, Queen, Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, The Muse etc etc has descended to this banal level.
  • MelSingletonMelSingleton Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have seen the documentary about Queen where they say that the song (at least) tanked in the US because audiences there, unfamiliar with Coronation Street, didn't get the joke of the band dressed as women.

The article at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Want_to_Break_Free makes the point that the video had been banned by MTV (!) due to the cross dressing (!!)

It is impossible to know what US audiences really felt about the costumes used in the video, but it is pretty clear that the lack of exposure would have affected sales.

The song was a big hit in plenty of countries like Australia and in South America where people seeing the video knew little about Coronation Street and almost certainly failed to get the joke.
  • rikstan87rikstan87 Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old Man 43 wrote: »
    I know about pretentious Music Critics and getting a raw deal from some of them.

I am a 52 year old fan of Heavy Metal music.

I have heard every jibe form the likes of NME journalists etc about my favourite music.

I can tell you that back in the day no one (apart from teeny boppers) would have given X Factor and the likes of One Dimension the time of day.

Now it seems as if the only music that is available in the mainstream is manufactured pop and watered down R & B.

As for the Beatles. Yes they started out as pop but they grew beyond that and created great music. Could you honestly see One Dimension doing that.

Real music is music that means something. Not music that has been created to a formula.

So sad that a country that produced The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Cream, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis, Queen, Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, The Muse etc etc has descended to this banal level.

You have the cheek to judge others when you listen to that garbage.
    Forum Member
    rikstan87 wrote: »
    You have the cheek to judge others when you listen to that garbage.

I don't judge people on the type of music they play.

I judge people on one criteria. Did they write there own songs/music or was it written for them by someone hired by someone like Simon Cowell.

Also were they selected for there musical ability or because they looked good.

An example of what I mean is Kylie Minogue. I don't particularly like any of her music. But at least what she did after she got away from Stock, Aitken & Waterman was her own idea's (albeit in collaboration with other writers). She was the one in charge.

For that I have more respect for her than anyone from the X Factor manufacturing plant.

Say what you like about Heavy Metal Music. I cannot imagine anyone telling the members of Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Motorhead or Metallica etc what to do and what music they should play. The same could be said about most bands/artists from the other music genres that I mentioned.

This cannot be said about manufactured (X Factor) pop.