Dermot O'Leary - "The Soundtrack To My Life" For Big Brother Is...

RabidWolverine1RabidWolverine1 Posts: 8,137
Forum Member
Somewhere Only We Know By Keane

Was reading his book and this was the point where he spoke to most candidly about Big Brother. He says hes a huge fan of Keane and part of the reason he chose this was that Keane is often unfairly labeled as "3 posh lads", he also feels Big Brother is often unfairly labeled (though not labelled posh :D) and that both are way under rated.

He goes further in describing his experience on the show as "career wise the most important job I have ever had" describing it as the reason he was able to elevate himself.

Said when he joined in series 2 most people even behind the scenes thought there was a very short shelf life to the show (Inspite of a well received first series) and most people thought 3 or 4 years maximum before Channel 4 moved onto something else.

Described Davina as very warm and like a big sister to him. Also stated she really did love her job and was more involved with the production of the show than people realise because she loved it and really wanted it to succeed.

Said doing Little Brother was a lot of fun because live TV 6 days a week is always a fun challenge and he enjoyed everything that was thrown at him.

In regards to Russell Brand, Dermot admits he initially thought they were crazy for hiring him. Said before Big Brother the only things hed heard of from Russell Brand before was him setting his own arm on fire when a gig was going bad and dressing up in public as Bin Laden the day after 9/11. Said Russell was very determined to be a part of the team and seemed to love the creativity they gave him on Big Mouth and that they grew to be good friends along with Davina.

I have't read the full thing yet but he seems to basically state that he likes Big Brother because it is "Reality TV at both its best and worst" using his two most memorable moments to describe it...along the lines of "Nikki Graheme creating the most accidental catchphrase in Reality TV History...Who is she" all the way to "A grown woman named Kinga shoving a bottle of wine up her *****"

Basically did say though that when he was on the show you could sympathise with people, you could support people and sometimes makes yourself feel better about your own life just by seeing someone elses unfold in front of your eyes.

Seemed to speak very highly of his whole experience but felt that he moved on at the right time.

All in all a very good interesting read and thought id pass it on for anyone interested :):)

Comments

• BarracuteBarracute Posts: 243,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks RW, most interesting, glad to hear him speaking positively about BB
  • RabidWolverine1RabidWolverine1 Posts: 8,137
    Forum Member
    Barracute wrote: »
    Thanks RW, most interesting, glad to hear him speaking positively about BB

Anytime, I was quite glad to hear it too :)
  • Scots roolScots rool Posts: 276,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for this Rabid, really interesting. :)
    Forum Member
    Scots rool wrote: »
    Thanks for this Rabid, really interesting. :)

Your welcome :)
  • Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    I liked Dermot on BBLB he always seemed to enjoy BB but didn’t take it too seriously and he never failed to make me laugh. I can still picture him dancing to 'Life Is A rollercoaster' when it kept being randomly played during one show :D

I wouldn’t mind reading his book and I love his choice of song by Keane.

Thanks for posting RW I might have a look for his book myself I would ask Santa but its getting a bit late to add it to my list :D
    Forum Member
    Lucy Lou wrote: »
    I liked Dermot on BBLB he always seemed to enjoy BB but didn’t take it too seriously and he never failed to make me laugh. I can still picture him dancing to 'Life Is A rollercoaster' when it kept being randomly played during one show :D

I wouldn’t mind reading his book and I love his choice of song by Keane.

Thanks for posting RW I might have a look for his book myself I would ask Santa but its getting a bit late to add it to my list :D

That Life Is A Rollercoaster bit was hillarious :D...Im glad he enjoyed the show and still has a strong career going.

Yeah great song choice, Keane are awesome in general. Shame their taking a few years off but I suppose 5 Albums (All of which got to Number 1), Couple of World Tours in the space of a Decade isn't bad going at all. They have earned the rest.

Oh and they supposedly had the biggest selling Greatest Hits album of 2013 (Which they were unaware of until Graham Norton told them on his show...the producers researched it)...Yeah you can tell im a fan :D

Anytime :). Im not sure if it still is but when I bought it, it was reduced from £22 to £10 at WH Smith and thought it was worth a shot. A good read so far and he seems quite witty, good at tongue in cheek :)
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I remember "Somewhere Only We Know" played to accompany the BBLB best bits for BB5. And so many best bits that year.

Keane were 4 posh lads when they took a break.
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    I remember "Somewhere Only We Know" played to accompany the BBLB best bits for BB5. And so many best bits that year.

Keane were 4 posh lads when they took a break.

I think in fairness they were just tired. All of them always seem quite reserved, they never seem to be the act who like being on TV for the sake of being on TV or anything...just when they need to for work. Maybe that didn't help the posh image.

Then the song writer Tim is still writing songs for other people, hes written songs for people like Kylie Minogue. They just all admitted they were tired from recording and touring.

But yeah Series 5 was in 2004 which was their breakout year. Won a couple of Brit Awards and stuff in Feb the following year so their music was used a lot at that time in general. Very much the "Indie Rock" dominating the charts days rather than the "Urban" these days.

I think its a decent enough song to represent it.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    He and Russell have both been very respectful towards the show and their time on it since leaving, unlike Davina who seems desperate to disassociate herself with it.
  • Robbo19Robbo19 Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    He and Russell have both been very respectful towards the show and their time on it since leaving, unlike Davina who seems desperate to disassociate herself with it.

I'm sorry but do you blame Davina for not wanting anything to do with Big Brother anymore or be associated with it? If I was her I certainly wouldn't, infact if I had to mention it i'd have to always add "when the show was on Channel 4" or "the Channel 4 era".
    Forum Member
    Robbo19 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but do you blame Davina for not wanting anything to do with Big Brother anymore or be associated with it? If I was her I certainly wouldn't, infact if I had to mention it i'd have to always add "when the show was on Channel 4" or "the Channel 4 era".

The show's worst years were on Channel 4.
    Forum Member

I think its maybe the fact that Dermot & Russell moved on before everyone essentially just looked down on the show. They seemed to have worked a natural cycle on the show before moving onto other projects where as Davina had the show for a decade and only decided to stop when Channel 4 cancelled the show.

Even people who didn't know much about Davina probably knew her as "The Big Brother Woman". So when she got her other shows following BB she probably wanted to leave that tag line behind her so she could continue to have a "legit career".

Dermot and Russell left the show at the right to so they would have really only gained from the show :)

She only really mentioned it to throw support behind the host like when Brian & Emma was given the job, she pretty much admits to not watching it anymore because she would "find it too hard".
  • Arthur_BArthur_B Posts: 3,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As were it's best years.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting read .... thank you RabidWolverine. :):cool:
    Forum Member
    Interesting read .... thank you RabidWolverine. :):cool:

Anytime :)
  • Robbo19Robbo19 Posts: 296
    Forum Member

Really?! You've definitely been watching a different show then, the love and support that Channel 5 get for their freakshow circus TOWIE-esque lite BB is sickening.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

i think this is a perfect example of when to leave at the right time. Brand and O Leary knew when the time was right to move on whereas Davina McCall hung on when the show really started to wilt from 2008 onwards. It is unfortunate when a long experience like that ends in such a manner but you can't blame her trying to move on. Although like the show, her style of presenting became very lazy, she probably still looks back at it in positive way.
    Forum Member
    Really?! You've definitely been watching a different show then, the love and support that Channel 5 get for their freakshow circus TOWIE-esque lite BB is sickening.

Series 8-11 were far more of a freak show than BB since. Channel 5 BB has it's fair share of faults but it's in a far better state than it was at the end of it's time on C4.
  • cobaye22cobaye22 Posts: 1,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Series 8-11 were far more of a freak show than BB since. Channel 5 BB has it's fair share of faults but it's in a far better state than it was at the end of it's time on C4.

About time someone said this - C5 have reinvigorated the franchise and taken it to a new level for connoisseurs of reality TV.
  • bb2011fanbb2011fan Posts: 2,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She only really mentioned it to throw support behind the host like when Brian & Emma was given the job, she pretty much admits to not watching it anymore because she would "find it too hard".

To be fair she watches the celebrity series and comments on twitter about the show but admitted the civillain series is too much of a commitment nowadays. I also remember she commented on twitter during BB12 about the lack of live feed. I think she still values the show seeing as it made her who she is today but like with most things in life people move on and she's done just that
  • SG-1SG-1 Posts: 16,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arthur_B wrote: »
    As were it's best years.
    Given you had 11 years to choose from its inevitable some of the best was on 4..it had more bad series than good though.
    C5 so far have had IMO 2 good normal BBs and 2 bad.
    C4 First 4 years was about the same..the difference is ch4 had a continual run of 4 years of bad series in its last years..on ch4 it never really recovered after CBB5.
  • bigbro24bigbro24 Posts: 11,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't know he had a book out, I'm getting this to read over Christmas, about time i read a new book
    Forum Member
    bigbro24 wrote: »
    I didn't know he had a book out, I'm getting this to read over Christmas, about time i read a new book

You should its quite a good read...its more of a fun stories kind of book rather than a straight forward autobiography.
    bb2011fan wrote: »
    To be fair she watches the celebrity series and comments on twitter about the show but admitted the civillain series is too much of a commitment nowadays. I also remember she commented on twitter during BB12 about the lack of live feed. I think she still values the show seeing as it made her who she is today but like with most things in life people move on and she's done just that

Ahhhh I didn't know that. To be fair im pretty much along the same lines now...I always maintained that Civillian BB was better than Celebrity but after viewing this years summer series it genuinely drained away my faith in the show. With the celebrity version being shorter the chance for manipulation is less. Celeb BB is more along the lines of redemption rather than feeding the ego's of wannabes who (most of them" have the combined charisma of a constipated flapjack.
    SG-1 wrote: »
    Given you had 11 years to choose from its inevitable some of the best was on 4..it had more bad series than good though.
    C5 so far have had IMO 2 good normal BBs and 2 bad.
    C4 First 4 years was about the same..the difference is ch4 had a continual run of 4 years of bad series in its last years..on ch4 it never really recovered after CBB5.

I kinda disagree. The previous two summer series on Channel 5 have been beyond awful for me...to the point where I deserve a slap for watching it myself. Series 8 of Channel 4 series gets way too much criticism...its far from being the best but its just because of the whole Charley, Chiggy & Evicting a girl in the middle of the night for a mistake so they can cover their own backsides from January that brought it down.

There were a couple of redeeming features that puts it miles ahead the previous two civillian series.
  • Scots roolScots rool Posts: 276,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bb2011fan wrote: »

That's a bit rich coming from her! When CH4 stopped the LF she kept telling fans to stop moaning about the lack of it. >:(
    Forum Member
    I know this is a weird bump but I finally got round to finishing this book. (I stopped reading it at Christmas time and just picked it up again)

There was more light hearted praise for Big Brother throughout including Samanda for "Being some of the most unintentionally memorable television he has ever seen".

Also described Brian Dowling as an "Unbelievably nice and humble guy" :)