unable to copy from SkyHD to DVD

jam2000jam2000 Posts: 3,361
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am trying to put some stuff from my Sky HD onto a DVD, but my DVD player keeps saying its copy right protected?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Some programmes that Sky broadcast are flagged as copy protected. The programme is flagged as copy protected, not by Sky themselves, but by the channel provider e.g. BBC, ITV, Channel 4 etc.

When a programme is flagged as copy protected, the Sky digibozes will insert a macrovision copy protection signal into the output.

Macrovision has been used since the late 80's to protect pre-recorded VHS tapes, DVD's, and now TV broadcasts. Rather than being a form of digital protection i.e. DRM, Macrovision is a form of analogue protection, designed to thwart making analogue copies of video material.

DVD recorders pick up on the macrovision signal and refuse to record, displaying the message "Copy Prot" or similar. My DVD recorder does the same.

There are devices you can buy for a small price, that remove the macrovision signal from the video signal, but of couse I can't tell you where to get those... I'm sure a search engine will help you out.
  • michael37michael37 Posts: 2,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try copying something from the BBC. The BBC never copy protects things, so this should work OK.

If it does not work, then there is some kind of technical problem. It could be either with the Sky box or the DVD. The only way figure that out is to try a different DVD recorder or to try the DVD with a friends Sky box.
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    In my experience, copy protection is quite rare at the moment.
    I've only found it on Sky Box Office stuff.
    :)
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,498
    Forum Member
    michael37 wrote: »
    Try copying something from the BBC. The BBC never copy protects things, so this should work OK.

BBC HD is permanently protected, at the heaviest setting - you can't even watch it via RGB SCART on a Freesat box.
    Forum Member
    BBC HD is permanently protected, at the heaviest setting - you can't even watch it via RGB SCART on a Freesat box.
    I must say I'm surprised to hear this. Never noticed a problem with BBC HD, and just to check I just tried recording a bit of "Jam and Jerusalem" which is on at the moment, down an RGB SCART lead to my DVD recorder, and it worked perfectly.
    It may well be protected sometimes, but definitely isn't protected "permanently"!
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just managed to copy Doctor Who Easter special onto DVD from BBCHD with no problems.
  • jam2000jam2000 Posts: 3,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still not working on most the channels including BBC HD which I tried. I do have the new EPG, would this be what is causing the problem?
  • michael37michael37 Posts: 2,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jam2000 wrote: »
    Still not working on most the channels including BBC HD which I tried. I do have the new EPG, would this be what is causing the problem?

It is most likely some kind of incompatibility between the HD box and your DVD recorder. I'd bet that a different model of recorder would work Ok.

Sadly even though DVD has been around for about 10 years this sort of thing still happens.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,579
    Forum Member

No - I have copied many rugby matches onto dvd from HD channels - I have never (yet) had a protection problem.
  • Mr.BMr.B Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just put the cottage from anytime on to DVD
    in the past I've put a number of HD films (through SCART) onto a HDD recorder then to DVD
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    I use a cheap Sony exclusively to record onto a DVD as i assume you do without any problem.

Previously had an old JVC with all sorts of features etc which was temperamental regarding its willingness to copy certain broadcasts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use a 5 year old Sony HDD DVD recorder to copy stuff from Sky HD box to DVD. Never had a problem with copy protection on BBC HD or FXHD or Sky 1 HD on the Sony. I bought a Samsung HDD DVD recorder last year and that kept giving copy record problems all the time. It's now in the back bedroom hooked up to a Freeview PVR. So from my experience it all depends on the make and age of your DVD recorder.
  • draig gochdraig goch Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a cheapo Liteon DVD recorder which I bought about 7 years ago. It's never failed me until now. I keep getting the same message as the OP, but for the previous 12 months I've had my HD box it's worked every time.
    Forum Member
    My DVD recorder is a Sony too.
    As I said earlier, never had a problem recording anything from the HD box, except for Box Office stuff, which is to be expected.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    draig goch wrote: »
    I have a cheapo Liteon DVD recorder which I bought about 7 years ago. It's never failed me until now. I keep getting the same message as the OP, but for the previous 12 months I've had my HD box it's worked every time.

Seems they may be experimenting with protecting the Scart output of certain programs ? Not had this problem yet but if its happening its happening.

As a previous poster has said, there are existing ways round analogue protection if it becomes a feature of Sky's or the channel providers transmissions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The copy protection they are using is not the full blown Macrovision type that is used on DVDs and was on the old VHS tapes. It's a 'softer' type. Some DVD recorders are troubled by it.
    I know I have recorded boxing on my Sony from PPV channel (Hatton's fights for definite) when other people were complaining they couldn't do it. Box office movies however are protected by the full blown Macrovision and need a special Scart that has been altered internally with additional circuitry.
    People have complained before about this copy protection problem in previous months. I imagine a search of the various threads would pick up other posts on the subject.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every recording and channel on mine is now copy protected.
    It wasnt like this a couple of weeks ago. Looks like Sky have added this copy protection to the new EPG. Looks like everyone will be getting it soon.
    Forum Member
    It wasnt like this a couple of weeks ago. Looks like Sky have added this copy protection to the new EPG. Looks like everyone will be getting it soon.
    Still fine here, and I've got the new EPG.
    Have you tried rebooting the box and trying again?
  • nickosbadnickosbad Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Have you recently had one of the new white viewing cards?

What is the make of the HD box?

Post back and I will do some digging for ya!

Nick
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nickosbad wrote: »
    Have you recently had one of the new white viewing cards?

What is the make of the HD box?

Post back and I will do some digging for ya!

Nick

Pace box and old blue viewing card.

Just done a reboot and its now ok! Thanks Dave H!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm on the new EPG on a Thomson HD box. My old Sony records OK it's my newish Samsung HDR-755 that has problems.