Options

Top Of The Pops 1976 every week on BBC Four

Comments

• Options
    merrim01merrim01 Posts: 2,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So which episode are we getting on Monday, could it be the 3rd June - I'm doubting it?
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    david1956 wrote: »
    The Teletubbies managed it.

true....but novelty one off's generally dont do it over and over again and fill arenas with a live show...
  • Options
    BundymanBundyman Posts: 7,199
    Forum Member
    Defend that to who? If he was in the charts and on TOTP, he was. To pretend otherwise is to lie to people. The idiots will be watching EastEnders, or the crap on BBC3, ITV etc. They either choose to watch an old tv programme and accept someone who, 25 years later, was found to be a pervert was a pop star along with a bunch of lower-profile perverts or they can watch some mind-rotting crap on any of the other channels. BBC4 isn't for these people.

Lol... So now you want to tell people what channel to watch...hilarious.

Anyway, it's not just about what is on other channels at 7.30pm on a Thursday. TOTP gets a couple of repeats & is on the i-player...which i guese you'd say also "isn't for these people" either

His first 6 singles have aged as well as anything of that time if not more so, which is why they were still being played 20+ years later in the 90s. Anything after that, maybe not. Anything after 1980 - well, you might like to ask Kelvin MacKenzie & co who still deemed him worthy of high level coverage.

No way. Most stations had stopped playing his 70s songs by the early 80's. He had a brief revival in the 1984, when Another Rock & Roll Christmas came out. That was probably his best song.Mobile discos & R1 in the Golden Hour & Jimmy Saville were probably the exceptions.

In an ideal world history wouldn't be changed. But this isn't an ideal world, it's full of double standards & in this case i fully support removing Glitter.

If i was BBC4 controller, i certainly wouldn''t want to waste days defending showing him to the press & complaining. His songs just weren't that good & we loose nothing by not hearing them viewers.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    merrim01 wrote: »
    So which episode are we getting on Monday, could it be the 3rd June - I'm doubting it?

According to the Radio Times, it is.
  • Options
    mllfapmllfap Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    According to the Radio Times, it is.

They said the same 2 weeks ago.
    This time I think I believe them
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3rd of June confirmed off tvguide.co.uk as well - but only a 30 minute cut, not an uneditied version.. unless they decide to whack one up on iPlayer anyway.
  • Options
    BundymanBundyman Posts: 7,199
    Forum Member
    alcockell wrote: »
    3rd of June confirmed off tvguide.co.uk as well - but only a 30 minute cut, not an uneditied version.. unless they decide to whack one up on iPlayer anyway.

The unedited version is on the Saturday night/Sunday morning....i think i saw it in the listings
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Paul M C wrote: »
    How are we all getting on with these repeats?

We've had them for around 2 months now, and just wondered if any of you are "tiring" of them or still think they're great to see?

Certainly not tiring of the TOTP repeats. One of the things I've been looking forward to watching each week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    mllfap wrote: »
    After years of fans complaining about them doing that on TOTP2 we finally get original uncut broadcasts and you want to ruin them?:rolleyes:

Pay no attention BBC4

I don't mind at all seeing the uncut versions of these TOTP repeats. Seeing Gladys Knight and the Pips these past few weeks has reminded me of the funniest thing I heard Steve Wright say on TOTP2. It was the bit he said before the footage of Gladys Knight and the Pips performing Midnight Train to Georgia, saying watch out for an over-enthusiastic backing singer (one of the Pips).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bundyman wrote: »

Anyway, it's not just about what is on other channels at 7.30pm on a Thursday. TOTP gets a couple of repeats & is on the i-player...which i guese you'd say also "isn't for these people" either

No way. Most stations had stopped playing his 70s songs by the early 80's. He had a brief revival in the 1984, when Another Rock & Roll Christmas came out. That was probably his best song.Mobile discos & R1 in the Golden Hour & Jimmy Saville were probably the exceptions.

In an ideal world history wouldn't be changed. But this isn't an ideal world, it's full of double standards & in this case i fully support removing Glitter.

If i was BBC4 controller, i certainly wouldn''t want to waste days defending showing him to the press & complaining. His songs just weren't that good & we loose nothing by not hearing them viewers.

and the KLF's Doctor in the Tardis was what? lol
  • Options
    essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,217
    Forum Member
    mickmars wrote: »
    and the KLF's Doctor in the Tardis was what? lol

actually it was the KLF under the name The Timelords:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 377
    Forum Member

Anyone dim-witted enough to complain about such wouldn't be watching. You know this and I know this. Such people are not interested, and view BBC4 as a highbrow bore. They also wouldn't bother with sitting through the show on an iPlayer. I might be generalising a tad here, but a lot less so than your belief that viewers have to be all be treated as lowest-common-denominator Sun readers, and thus protected from Gary Glitter "abusing" their kids through a tv or computer screen, from a TOTP studio 35 years ago.

So, Gary Glitter was presenting TOTP annually, in the Spice Girls movie etc etc etc throughout the 90s on the basis of what? Nobody playing his "outdated" music?
    Blimey, in that case your media friends have more to answer to then I first thought!
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Just comparing todays top 40 with that of 1976.
    20 british stars out of the top 40 in 76.
    6 british stars out of the top 40 in todays chart.
    Clogged up with american rubbish nowadays. Where are all the brit bands and singers. The lyrics are rubbish too. All about bumping abd grinding!
    Music was more varied back then for sure. I even liked some of the comedy songs.
  • Options
    Mr MertonMr Merton Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    Anyone dim-witted enough to complain about such wouldn't be watching. You know this and I know this. Such people are not interested, and view BBC4 as a highbrow bore. They also wouldn't bother with sitting through the show on an iPlayer. I might be generalising a tad here, but a lot less so than your belief that viewers have to be all be treated as lowest-common-denominator Sun readers, and thus protected from Gary Glitter "abusing" their kids through a tv or computer screen, from a TOTP studio 35 years ago.!

The BBC aren't worried about complaints from a handful of viewers - they're used to ignoring complaints from a 'minority' - but current BBC management are hypersensitive to criticism from the tabloid press, notably the reactionary (and anti-BBC) Mail and Express newspapers, who would scream "BBC PAYS PAEDO SHOCK" on their front pages at a drop of a hat, regardless of whether or not such an accusation has any basis in reality.

(And if they're completely wrong, they'll print a retraction two weeks later in very small writing at the bottom of Page 35 or similar.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    essexpete wrote: »
    actually it was the KLF under the name The Timelords:)

I knew that,,thats why i called the Timelords..the KLF ;)
  • Options
    Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member

Glitter was huge in 74, after his success in 73 in which he spent a total of 40 weeks in charts in all , and in Pop awards in 1973 (now brit awards ) he & mike leander recived an ivor Novello award for sales of i love you love , which is still the 57th best selling record of all time with sales of 1.2 million, which when you consider what he was up against Slades merry xmas, which (and even i find this hard to belive Didnt sell a million ) isnt a bad acheivement , as for his records , not played on R1, well thats not true , either, was Always played on Simon bates Golden hour, and other stations as well, his tv appearences in 80s was still high and , his Rock n roll xmas would have got higher in 84, were it not for Band aid, Fgth (power of love) & Whams last xmas,, all at the peak of their powers , in the 70s he had the record of having all his first 10 hits hit the top 10, not even Slade Bolan & Abba could acheive this , and lets remember getting a no.1 in 70s was so much harder then than it is now
    you had to sell 1 million singles, which is why so few artists did then, and as for getting stright to NO.1 Only 3 records did this , in Cum feel noize , Skweeze me pleeze me & merry xmas by slade , plus Ilove you love , the next band to acheive this was Jam, in Going underground in 1980

So to say he was a nothing in 80s is just not true, and right up to his downfall in 97 he was selling out Wembley area, Birmingham nec & Manchester NEM, Every year (although it was called gmex then) ,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bundyman's just doing as he's told and repeating media protocol - they have all been instructed to sweep "all that glitters" (pardon the pun) under the proverbial carpet in order to appease an increasingly "dumbed-down" audience. Of course he was popular in the 80s and 90s, and for that we have the tabloid press and popular media to thank - the self-same organisations now desperate to distance themselves from their part in his success. He was either a bad musical joke or he wasn't - if he was, then why did he have such huge latter-day success? If his 1972/73 singles are so bad, then you experts best let Adam Ant, Phil Oakey, Captain Sensible, Jimmy Cauty, Joan Jett (etc etc etc) know as they don't seem to agree. I would never try to make out he was a "major artiste" like a Bowie or Elton (and there is plenty of evidence to suggest he always was a tosser) but, along with Mike Leander, he made half a dozen or so great rock songs that were, despite protestations to the contrary, still being played in the 90s (and even into this century). Or did the Spice Girls at their height of success invite any old hasbeen to make a cameo in their movie? In actual fact, Alan Freeman was still playing GG AFTER HE HAD BEEN CONVICTED!!!
  • Options
    Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Bundyman's just doing as he's told and repeating media protocol - they have all been instructed to sweep "all that glitters" (pardon the pun) under the proverbial carpet in order to appease an increasingly "dumbed-down" audience. Of course he was popular in the 80s and 90s, and for that we have the tabloid press and popular media to thank - the self-same organisations now desperate to distance themselves from their part in his success. He was either a bad musical joke or he wasn't - if he was, then why did he have such huge latter-day success? If his 1972/73 singles are so bad, then you experts best let Adam Ant, Phil Oakey, Captain Sensible, Jimmy Cauty, Joan Jett (etc etc etc) know as they don't seem to agree. I would never try to make out he was a "major artiste" like a Bowie or Elton (and there is plenty of evidence to suggest he always was a tosser) but, along with Mike Leander, he made half a dozen or so great rock songs that were, despite protestations to the contrary, still being played in the 90s (and even into this century). Or did the Spice Girls at their height of success invite any old hasbeen to make a cameo in their movie? In actual fact, Alan Freeman was still playing GG AFTER HE HAD BEEN CONVICTED!!!

Would love to see the leader of gang clip that was dropped from spiceworld, a version which was on you tube was so awful it wasnt woth viewing , ever seen it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYRHoQP75-g

I've only seen it from the above clip... I do wish he'd left his computer repairs a few more months, it would have been a real egg-on-face scenario. Nevertheless, have Simon Fuller and The Spice Girls ever been accused of "funding paedophilia" by not deleting the whole thing?
  • Options
    jaspergutbucketjaspergutbucket Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    alcockell wrote: »
    The unedited version is on the Saturday night/Sunday morning....i think i saw it in the listings

The unedited version appears on Thursday late night as usual - about 1.15am IIRC
  • Options
    emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is thursday nights adition getting another repeat from today? was mean't get it recorded but failed to show up in my planner
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    merrim01 wrote: »

The bigger question is: why move the show to Mondays at all?

I thought the whole point of the Thursday repeats was to put the show back in the slot in which it was first broadcast. :rolleyes:

The Monday move rather implies that the TOTP repeats are not priority for BBC Four and may be shoved around the schedules at random ... with, of course, the prospect of the axe then being wielded because the ratings weren't high enough (despite the fact that moving the show around would have helped kill the show ...).

The only silver lining to this potential cloud are reports that BBC Four's budget is being cut with original drama being the main casualty, as the channel's focus being shifted to the arts - which TOTP may qualify as. Certainly repeats are a damn sight cheaper than new programming ...
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Mr Merton wrote: »
    The BBC aren't worried about complaints from a handful of viewers - they're used to ignoring complaints from a 'minority' - but current BBC management are hypersensitive to criticism from the tabloid press, notably the reactionary (and anti-BBC) Mail and Express newspapers, who would scream "BBC PAYS PAEDO SHOCK" on their front pages at a drop of a hat, regardless of whether or not such an accusation has any basis in reality.

/QUOTE]
    I hope they do the same the next time the BBC runs an Oscar Wilde play.
  • Options
    dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 17,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm enjoying the re-runs. Makes you realise how starved of music on telly we were in those days.

Slightly off topic, which channel showed the re-runs of Ready Steady Go. (IIRC< Dave Clarke had the rights)
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Wish they would show an episode every day...i might be dead by they catch up to the nineties...:)