Options

The Great British Bake Off - Series 5 - Starts 6th August 2014

Comments

• Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starpuss wrote: »
    No, it was Sue Perkins who first tweeted that last night.

Diana's interview was later.
    Beard claimed Watters' ice cream had been out of the freezer for no more than "40 seconds" and that her "conscience was intact".
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28965207

So who said it first? Sue to Diana (or Sue to Diana via tweet), or Diana to Sue? The radio interview, the news report and the likelihood of Sue being there viewing for 40 seconds might suggest the latter.

We will never know will we. Just assumption and "he said, she said"..
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28965207

So who said it first? Sue to Diana (or Sue to Diana via tweet), or Diana to Sue? The radio interview and the news report might suggest the latter.

We will never know will we. Just assumption and "he said, she said"..

Sue's tweet was at about 10.30 last night. I don't know much about twitter but my son was amazed GBBO was being tweeted about/trending (I'm saying these things as if I have a clue...I don't :D) but he was reading the messages out and that one from Sue was a little after the show ended.

So it wasn't specifically to Diana as far as I understand, but in response to the negatice comments.

Diana's radio interview was this morning. So Sue's tweet was definately first.

EDIT: Sue's tweet was at 9.16pm last night
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was the "edit" done by the "BBC" or "Love Productions"?

K
  • Options
    gary217gary217 Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    So Diane herself said the 40 seconds bit, not someone from the BBC supposedly "covering up".

Talk about a mountain out of a molehill folks. It's a TV programme about baking.

Yes and no...it is just a programme about baking but there can be a bit more at stake as some of the near finalists and finalists have gone on to make money out of their appearances. Mind you Iain might be able to forge guest appearances on the back of this event.

I like the earlier suggestion, and it's one that would win the Beeb some goodwill, and that's to give Iain an invite into the next series as his desert had definitely been tampered with - out of the freezer on a very hot day.

As an aside, there's something about Diane that I can't warm to and I like her even less now - if she needed space in the freezer she should have asked Iain himself to move it which may have been problematic if space was short but a lot more decent than shifting his ice cream out on a sweltering hot day...even if only for 40 seconds (do we really believe that :confused:). Lots of comments about the editing...good/bad editing can't make the faces Diane did and I doubt the Beeb used 'computer generated face pulling', only she made the faces - there was not a lot of looking sorry, just worried that she'd been found out.
  • Options
    ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What she actually said was ‘It didn’t happen like that, I found Iain’s ice-cream in my freezer I asked whose it was and Iain took it away,'. But it definitely seems to be Nancy actually taking the ice cream out of the freezer.

She was being a bit disingenuous there ... it was taken out, put on a table, and some time later he said 'where's my ice cream' and she said 'oh sorry ian' and then he took it away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something that has been bothering me too is Iain telephoning Diana 3 days before the show to warn her the 'knives are out'. That is extremely odd. How would he know? What knives? Who is wielding them? The mystery deepens :o
  • Options
    innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    Something that has been bothering me too is Iain telephoning Diana 3 days before the show to warn her the 'knives are out'. That is extremely odd. How would he know? What knives? Who is wielding them? The mystery deepens :o

I found this extremely alarming and very disturbing too. There is no explanation for it, I find it a staggering revelation and yet it's all being brushed under the carpet by BBC authorities.
  • Options
    daisysnowlanddaisysnowland Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit puzzled. Hasn't the whole series already been filmed? How can Diana"quit"?
  • Options
    PlantPlant Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems clear to me - she pissed the producers off
    by leaving and mucking up their schedule
    so they decide to edit her badly to teach her a lesson. Bunch of Hitlers.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue's tweet was at about 10.30 last night. I don't know much about twitter but my son was amazed GBBO was being tweeted about/trending (I'm saying these things as if I have a clue...I don't :D) but he was reading the messages out and that one from Sue was a little after the show ended.

So it wasn't specifically to Diana as far as I understand, but in response to the negatice comments.

Diana's radio interview was this morning. So Sue's tweet was definately first.

EDIT: Sue's tweet was at 9.16pm last night
    I'm not referring to who claimed it first.

The timeline of when "who said what" was made public is not the point - it's more a case of how sue knew of the 40 seconds claim. Logic and reason might suggest that Diane herself imparted that info to Sue or the production team sometime between the show being recorded some months back and last night (as Diane would have been more likely to have been closer to the events, and more likely to have been aware of the timings)..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plant wrote: »
    Seems clear to me - she pissed the producers off
    by leaving and mucking up their schedule
    so they decide to edit her badly to teach her a lesson. Bunch of Hitlers.

That's my thinking too. It's too much of a coincidence that one week she is portrayed as the bad one and the next week, well..what happens happens. (Not sure how to do spoiler thing)

But how would Iain know :confused:
  • Options
    vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trigger64 wrote: »
    Who is Toad?
    John Torode - chef and a Masterchef judge.
  • Options
    memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Diana has quit by next week, due to illness
    It's not a spoiler anymore - it's on the DS homepage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not referring to who claimed it first.

The timeline of when "who said what" was made public is not the point - it's more a case of how sue knew of the 40 seconds claim. logic and reason would suggest that Diane herself imparted that info to Sue or the production tean sometime between the show being recorded and last night.

That's not a mystery. They video the whole thing so the video tape of the incident would have the time on it I would imagine. It would be extremely odd if they didn't. It would be more likely the production team providing the information when the cake batter hit the fan after the show. Diana didn't sound to me as if she knew how long it had been (which is understandable in the pressure of the day) and was just repeating a time which was, by then, already out there.
  • Options
    ageappropriateageappropriate Posts: 9,895
    Forum Member
    Hm, curiouser and curiouser.

/strokes chin
  • Options
    greengrangreengran Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    Nothing like a bit of abuse of an old lady to make people feel good about themselves :)

Standing up for an old lady now? Goodness.

if Ian hadn't put his icecream in the wrong freezer there would have been no problem. Then throwing a hissy fit and chucking it in the bin, very mature. For all we know he could have been trying to scupper Diana's chances by using her freezer . If so it backfired spectacularly. He should only blame himself.
  • Options
    innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    memmh wrote: »
    It's not a spoiler anymore - it's on the DS homepage.

Okay this has gone from a bit of a controversy to a full blown crisis now. There are so many unanswered questions that the BBC needs to start addressing IMMEDIATELY. The entire bake off franchise is now at risk with the inept way this is being managed.

Public confidence needs to be restored ASAP and that can only come with answers.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    aurichie wrote: »
    Okay this has gone from a bit of a controversy to a full blown crisis now. There are so many unanswered questions that the BBC needs to start addressing IMMEDIATELY. The entire bake off franchise is now at risk with the inept way this is being managed.

Public confidence needs to be restored ASAP and that can only come with answers.

Dramatic much.
  • Options
    SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    Who'd have thought people could get so het up over baking. If Iain hadn't stormed out in strop he wouldn't have been sent home, most likely Norman would.

I do wonder if the whole thing was a set up though - people did wonder if there'd be any stunts when it moved to BBC1.
    aurichie wrote: »

That's funny :D It was meant to be funny?
  • Options
    Alex_B1Alex_B1 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    Iain did not believe that the ice-cream was left out for only 40 seconds -
    Neither do it. I think Sue told a fib to cover up.
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't waded through this afternoon's post, but this is on the BBC News website
    Diana leaves show

There is no doubt in my mind this whole fuss was deliberately created by irresponsible editing.

Hope Ian is a surprise reinstatement next week, but I suspect it will be a week with no elimination instead.

I really feel sorry for Diana now.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Haven't waded through this afternoon's post, but this is on the BBC News website
    Diana leaves show

There is no doubt in my mind this whole fuss was deliberately created by irresponsible editing.

Hope Ian is a surprise reinstatement next week, but I suspect it will be a week with no elimination instead.

She will get the sympathy vote now.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's important to understand how these shows are made.

When a person reacts to what someone else has said; almost always that was not their actual reaction at the time. It would have been a reaction to something else entirely.

The reason is simply about limited camera resources, they can't follow each person around with their own camera trained upon them.
  • Options
    greengrangreengran Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diana leaves show

I hope they don't reinstate Ian, he made the decision to bin his bake when he could have still shown them what he'd done so far.
    If Diana has been hounded out by all this nastiness towards her, that is a shame. I used to really enjoy this show, if it's going to be silly and sensational then I for one won't watch anymore. I enjoyed watching a baking show, not a silly personality competition. Shame on you BBC!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    greengran wrote: »
    I hope they don't reinstate Ian, he made the decision to bin his bake when he could have still shown them what he'd done so far.
    If Diana has been hounded out by all this nastiness towards her, that is a shame. I used to really enjoy this show, if it's going to be silly and sensational then I for one won't watch anymore. I enjoyed watching a baking show, not a silly personality competition. Shame on you BBC!

She wasn't hounded out at all. The show was recorded months ago. She left becuase she was ill.

I think the BBC decided to squeeze some drama out of the situation though which is nasty. If this is the way the transition to BBC1 is going to go I'm noy sure I'll be such an avid viewer either.

It's not necessary BBC1. Not necessary at all.