Options

Words/phases that should be banned.

Comments

• Options
    bbnutnutbbnutnut Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whenever there is an article about an older, extremely rich, usually unattractive man (we'll call him J Bloggs) taking up with a younger woman, someone always has to add the Mrs Merton comment:

What attracted you to the millionaire J Bloggs?

It's so overused, it does my head in.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'The elephant in the room' - This phrase has just really started to annoy me. I keep hearing it now that GE campaign in under way.

'PC gone mad' - It's been said to death now; it's time to come up with a new one.
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iqoniq wrote: »
    Pretty much any IT buzzword, that one of the beancounters likes to apply his own unique meaning to (peer-to-peer, point of presence, bandwidth are recent examples). I'm sure he sits there and reads IT jargon of a night and tries to figure out how he can fit them into a meeting to impress the techies who are worshipped by him as gods (probably because they can access his e-mail). In fact pretty much anything that has given a name to made it sound more grandiose than it is. A brainstorming session has now become an ideas workshop. What?!?

I'm with Alexei Sayle: "Anyone who says they're in a workshop who isn't involved in light engineering is a tw*t"
  • Options
    mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Push-bike.

No, no, no - it's a bicycle. You don't push your bicycle anyway - you pedal on it.,

When did this word come into regular use. Bicycles were always known by the name or as bikes when I was growing up......
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,574
    Forum Member
    mattlamb wrote: »
    Push-bike.

No, no, no - it's a bicycle. You don't push your bicycle anyway - you pedal on it.,

When did this word come into regular use. Bicycles were always known by the name or as bikes when I was growing up......

Same here. But then motorbikes are also referred to as "bikes" sometimes, so I suppose there was a need to make a distinction.
  • Options
    darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Babes' - when used (mainly by Essex types) as the singular female equivalent of 'mate', as in:-

'Alwight babes' ?
  • Options
    VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Push-bike.

Sometimes you do have to push it, so it's not a completely illogical phrase. But, yes, I do think 'bike' is more than sufficient.
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vulpes wrote: »
    Sometimes you do have to push it, so it's not a completely illogical phrase. But, yes, I do think 'bike' is more than sufficient.
    Plus, the need to push is not restricted to either type of bike - if the engine is out of fuel (be it petrol or burgers) or you have a puncture then 'push' is the operative word :p

Are we adding 'pedal cycle' to this list too?
  • Options
    NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darkisland wrote: »
    'Babes' - when used (mainly by Essex types) as the singular female equivalent of 'mate', as in:-

'Alwight babes' ?
    We'd need an entire thread to list infuriating Essexisms.

The modern TV obsession with Essex frankly boggles the mind.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    People on here pleading for 'source?' - it makes me see red mist, so that word should be put into Room 101.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,574
    Forum Member
    People on here pleading for 'source?' - it makes me see red mist, so that word should be put into Room 101.

Would 'link?' be OK? :)
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Push-bike.

It's been a push-bike as far back as Mungo Jerry.
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    Would 'link?' be OK? :)
    As long as you avoid doing 'citation needed'.
  • Options
    bluefbbluefb Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    victor mel wrote: »
    Man flu, especially when used ironically. It doesn't help it still should be banned.
    Man flu, man cave, man bag, man hug ('bromance')... they need to be consigned to the dustbin along with those over-preened pirate beards so many are now sporting.
  • Options
    wordfromthewisewordfromthewise Posts: 2,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about just about every other word of this: (recent thread from the Advice forum)

This bloke I don't know very well popped up to me on snapchat while he was in the bath and we were snappin for a little bit like i'd do wiv anyone

Then he started to get really flirty like sending topless pics and complimentin my looks and I legit only just realised when he was doing this that he was gay and flirtin with me. I asked him just to like confirm it and he said that he was gay

I'm not a homophobe so I wasn't goin to like stop talkin to him cos of the fact he was gay but then he asked to play truth or dare wiv me and I said yea. And one of the dares was I had to send him a topless pic so I did as banta but I think he's got the wrong idea now and thinks I was flirtin with him cos he was sendin me shitloads of. Snaps while I was asleep and popped up to me this Mornin aswell...

It legit feels so weird like my mates have sent topless pics all the time as banter and It's a bit like WTF that some bloke thinks there's more goin on between us???

I really don't kno what to say/do to him now tbh...
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Push-bike.

Became popular around 1914 though the first use was around 1910.

Push bike - i.e. one propelled by pushing pedals rather than a motor.

Really popular in the early 1970's with The Pushbike Song. (ooh ooh aaah)
  • Options
    rickberickbe Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »
    I sometimes say, "by the end of business," which is even worse. :D

"After you've done your business" would be more appropriate for such people.

Some forumisms are especially irritating. Examples:

Just my two cents.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Game over.

I claim my 5 pounds.

I'll get me coat.

I'm also tired of hearlng about "tin foil" hats and "pitchforks".

Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Sweetums wrote: »
    Banter.

Seems used to excuse all sorts of unpleasant behaviour.

It's also often misunderstood by the socially awkward.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ash_M1 wrote: »
    "Long term economic plan". Seriously...please stop saying it.

"Coming up..." "After the break..."

I hate "next up". i think it was a CNN-ism originally and then spread to Sky and beyond. There also used to be "market wrap" for financial news, dont know if that is still used.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fall or fell pregnant.

Double whammy.

Boots on the ground.

Hipster.

Gets popcorn.

Uni.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pope_tart wrote: »
    I also hate the word "tad"....we have plenty of words to mean a small amount, why import another stupid Americanism?>:(
    Sorry to disappoint you, but that is a very old English dialect word – in my experience used mainly by the older generation of people from the North West.
    Random is in the 'clueless application' category; along with 'obviously' and 'basically'.
    And to that you can add "totally".
  • Options
    deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    'The elephant in the room' - This phrase has just really started to annoy me. I keep hearing it now that GE campaign in under way.

'PC gone mad' - It's been said to death now; it's time to come up with a new one.

...I've never got this phrase, if I'm honest?! :blush::blush:

Can someone explain...........!!!! Does it mean 'being the odd one out'?!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Devastated". Applies to practically everything now, important or not.

And "issues".

Now it's election time we will probably be hearing a lot about "hard working families" (which by the way conjures up an image of a family of mother, father and three little kids all sitting crosslegged toiling away in some dingy dungeon workshop performing some menial piecework task from dawn to dusk - but then maybe that's what Cameron actually has in mind)
  • Options
    deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    When people say, " .......to be fair" or "....if I'm honest". If you're gonna be fair - BE FAIR!! Don't say something and then end it with ".....to be fair"!!!! >:( Same goes for the "...to be honest"!!!!!

STOP IT.................
  • Options
    Forum Member
    deans6571 wrote: »
    ...I've never got this phrase, if I'm honest?! :blush::blush:

Can someone explain...........!!!! Does it mean 'being the odd one out'?!!

It means something outstandingly obvious, that you can't fail to notice.