Options

ED - does anyone remember this family?

emilybemilyb Posts: 855
Forum Member
✭✭
Around the late 90s Emmerdale brought in a new middle class family (the mum was certainly posh anyway). They had 2 teenage daughters, the youngest of which had a baby girl at the age of 13 & left her on someone's doorstep. After a few days she collapsed & had to confess the baby was hers & she'd given birth alone in secret. This must have been before Sarah Lou in corrie had Bethany as I remember my mum was horrified because I was the same age at the time (must have been about 96/97) Also she originally called the baby Geri after ginger spice(!) before someone sensibly advised her to change it & she named her April. It later turned out that the father was her older sisters boyfriend who was in his early 20s. Its just been annoying me cos I can't remember the names of any of them or what happened to them?
Stories like this were why I used to love ED back in the day. They weren't afraid to be more controversial than CS & EE and often did things before they did but didn't get the same recognition which was annoying. I haven't watched ED for about 7 years but when I do see a bit now it seems to be about a lot of well dressed attractive people who are impeccably groomed going about having affairs & shouting at each other. It used to be a show that had a great blend of comedy, drama, day-to-day life & shocking moments before it became very same old same old. Anyway, sorry for the ramble I hope someone has some more info on that family.

Comments

• Options
    rollockingbatrollockingbat Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Cairns family - Emma (Geri's mother), daughter of Becky and Tony and had two siblings Charlie and Will. :)

It was before Corrie did the story with Sarah as well. Emma arrived in February 1997 and gave birth in March.
  • Options
    ArthurJBearArthurJBear Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    You are talking about the Cains Family they were in for 18 months in 1997. The father was played by Edward Peel who played Tom Merrick (Pat's first husband Tom in the early 80's)
  • Options
    abbottababbottab Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They appeared at a time when Emmerdale was worth the watch!
  • Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good grief, they weren't in it long, were they?:o
  • Options
    kaiserbeekaiserbee Posts: 4,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't remember any of them and they weren't in it for long, so they obviously didn't make much impact.
  • Options
    From_the_NorthFrom_the_North Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    If I'm thinking about the right family I'm sure the son was played by same actor who played Mike Baldwin's son Mark in CS
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Left on the doorstep of Zoe's surgery. Fitting. :D
    Emma took her home but eventually gave her up and followed her parents to Germany.
    They were there (Emmerdale) for about a year and a half.
  • Options
    Soapfan678Soapfan678 Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I remember them. It is a shame they didn't stay longer than the did. Were they written out of the soap and if so, why? I thought they were a good family for the village. A lot better than that family, who had won a competition to be on the show.
  • Options
    emilybemilyb Posts: 855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thankyou for all the replies :-)

They weren't in it long were they?!
  • Options
    Wong_BillabongWong_Billabong Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of the best family's and characters are in it for a short time - alas the Wylie family. Loved them
  • Options
    wavlovrwavlovr Posts: 3,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to like the Duggards. I think that`s their name. There was Cynthia the Mother who worked at Pollards factory. Then there was the daughter whose name I forgot but she ended up as nurse Mandy in Doctors.
    Then there was the son whose name I also forgot, but he worked in the antiques business with Rodney.
  • Options
    samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wavlovr wrote: »
    I used to like the Duggards. I think that`s their name. There was Cynthia the Mother who worked at Pollards factory. Then there was the daughter whose name I forgot but she ended up as nurse Mandy in Doctors.
    Then there was the son whose name I also forgot, but he worked in the antiques business with Rodney.

You mean the Daggerts :)

I had a real thing for Danny (the son) while he was there, that's how I remember! :D
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samcains90 wrote: »

I had a real thing for Danny (the son) while he was there, that's how I remember! :D

Oh yes, Danny Daggert was very nice to look at.;-)

Back to the Cairns family, I remember the mum fancied Zoe Tate at one point!
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I'm thinking about the right family I'm sure the son was played by same actor who played Mike Baldwin's son Mark in CS

Yes, he did.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wavlovr wrote: »
    Latisha, and her son Kirk who she named after Paddy's cousin Jason who delivered him
  • Options
    abbottababbottab Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I remember rightfully, I think Becky Cairns had a fling with Zoe Tate.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I vaguely remember them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samcains90 wrote: »

Yes sam, I meant the Daggerts, Thank you.

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wyezed wrote: »
    Latisha, and her son Kirk who she named after Paddy's cousin Jason who delivered him

Latisha,,that`s it. Thanks Wyezed,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The actor who played the father in the Cairns family also was one of the actors who played a version of Tom Merrick back in the day. Mr Cairns iirc was some high up army man involved in secret operations previously & I'm sure that the daughter was kidnapped at one point because of this.
    As for the Daggarts I wasnt a fan but I remember the son going out with the police woman's daughter - that actress became Tyrone's missus Mollie in Corrie.
  • Options
    srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    I really can't remember them. The name rings a bell but nothing else.
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    You are talking about the Cains Family they were in for 18 months in 1997. The father was played by Edward Peel who played Tom Merrick (Pat's first husband Tom in the early 80's)

I only remember one thing about the Cairns family. The children came into the house while mum and dad were arguing about his secret service work or summat like that. They didnt want the children hearing so dad handed one of the kids a £20 note and said "go to the chippy and get our tea" " I just sat there wondering where the hell was the chippy? One had never ever been mentioned before
  • Options
    cromerladcromerlad Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember them as it was the time when the outdoor set moved form Esholt to the purpose built set... I remember 'Dad' running outward bound run/walks etc and featuring the new set... Didn't the lad who played 'Son' go on to play Mike Baldwin's lad in Corrie?
  • Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only remember the young daughter collapsing after having the baby. That is my sum total memory of them. It's amazing how you can watch people several times a week in soaps sometimes for months or even years and barely recall them at all years later!.
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    cromerlad wrote: »
    I remember them as it was the time when the outdoor set moved form Esholt to the purpose built set... I remember 'Dad' running outward bound run/walks etc and featuring the new set... Didn't the lad who played 'Son' go on to play Mike Baldwin's lad in Corrie?

Yes he did, played the part of Mark Redman