Options

Atomic Season - BBC4

StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Not off to a particularly good start with Cousins' film currently airing now. Nothing Adam Curtis hasn't done earlier and better. Music's good though and at least the man who sounds like he's chewing on the words as he speaks them isn't ruining it with a voiceover like he did on his film series for C4.

Other films following through the week.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Disappointed by this, i saw a better documentary last week about the bomb
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    BBC Four Goes Nuclear

A season of programmes contemplating the history and future of the nuclear age, from the destructive powers of the atomic bomb to the promise and dread of nuclear power.

Usual level of advertising on the BBC of their own product.
    Trailers for Jim Al-Kalili's Sellafield program and nothing else, Doc about Los Alamos tomorrow after Jim at Sellafield anyway.
    Gawd knows what else is in the 'season'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cousins even using some of the same archive footage Adam Curtis utilised in his 1992 series, Pandora's Box. Too much overfamiliar film and too much irrelevant film makes this seems weak and scattershot.

You'd think they'd be repeating Threads and The War Game in this season but apparently not.
  • Options
    redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was poor wasn't it?
  • Options
    QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this is rubbish. I would have thought there would have been more good documentaries for the 70th anniversary. The BBC last showed War Game 30 years ago and it would have been good seeing that repeated.
    I have a great DVD Trinity and Beyond all about history of nuclear testing up to when China tested their first bomb
  • Options
    mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It did nothing for me this Atomic show on BBC4 Sunday night. A mutated progamme was my only thought and I had to turn off it was that poor. :(
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a great DVD Trinity and Beyond all about history of nuclear testing up to when China tested their first bomb

Is that the one sparsely narrated by William Shatner?
  • Options
    Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »

You'd think they'd be repeating Threads and The War Game in this season but apparently not.

They were the first two that came to mind when I read the thread title.
    How very odd not to include these creative productions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Utterly bizarre choice of voiceover on this doco currently airing. Missed the Sellafield one but will catch it Thursday.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b065ylyy
    War Book tomorrow at 22:00

Drama in which civil servants take part in a regular role-playing game to practise their response to a nuclear explosion leading to all-out nuclear war.
    Ben Chaplin and Sophie Okonedo in the cast list.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    Is that the one sparsely narrated by William Shatner?

It is
  • Options
    Parker45Parker45 Posts: 5,854
    Forum Member
    The Sellafield documentary was excellent - absolutely fascinating. I was a child in the 1950s and remember some of the events.
  • Options
    ATNottsATNotts Posts: 1,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Utterly bizarre choice of voiceover on this doco currently airing. Missed the Sellafield one but will catch it Thursday.

The Sellafield documentary was excellent, it explained the science at a level that enabled me, as someone who never really "got on" with physics, could understand without turning it into the sort of dumbed down science that we so see much of these days.

This was the sort of programme that BBC2 was set up to make, and that BBC4 has now taken on since BBC2 itself was comprehensively dumbed down.
  • Options
    I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parker45 wrote: »
    The Sellafield documentary was excellent - absolutely fascinating. I was a child in the 1950s and remember some of the events.

Great programme. I really like Jim Al-Kallili as a presenter.
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is

Its an astonishing film isn't it?
    I found it a mix of wonder, awe and horror. Some of the images look like the birth of a star or the end of the world.
  • Options
    HDCriticalFanHDCriticalFan Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Utterly bizarre choice of voiceover on this doco currently airing.

Agreed. It made me realise just how good an actor's (or VO artist's) voice really is. I often used to wonder why Stephen Mangan, Olivia Coleman, et al were used for non-acting and non-comedy jobs. Now I know.

The young lady doing this VO sounded like she was doing a student project. She even used the same rhythm and intonation pattern for sentence after sentence. It just sounded amateurish. I expect (much) better of the Beeb.

Apart from that ...

Great programme !

But as has been said, it isn't a patch on the (two hour ?) Bill Shatner programme.
  • Options
    pward1965pward1965 Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    Agreed. It made me realise just how good an actor's (or VO artist's) voice really is. I often used to wonder why Stephen Mangan, Olivia Coleman, et al were used for non-acting and non-comedy jobs. Now I know.

The young lady doing this VO sounded like she was doing a student project. She even used the same rhythm and intonation pattern for sentence after sentence. It just sounded amateurish. I expect (much) better of the Beeb.

Apart from that ...

Great programme !

But as has been said, it isn't a patch on the (two hour ?) Bill Shatner programme.

Agreed about the voiceover - it needed someone with some gravitas.
  • Options
    pward1965pward1965 Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    I, Candy wrote: »
    Great programme. I really like Jim Al-Kallili as a presenter.

I too like Al-Kallili as a presenter - he explains things well.

However the programme was a bit of a disappointment to me. Having taken a passing interest in things nuclear over the years, and despite being called 'Britain's Nuclear Secrets', it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know.

Seeing some of the interiors was interesting; perhaps I wasn't part of the target audience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Michael Praed, Paul McGann, Juliet Stephenson and Barbara Flynn are the go-to quartet for quality voiceover work IMO. I imagine they command good money for a days talking.

I reckon this was a US production with an American voiceover and the Beeb wanted to refashion it for this season and imply it was a homegrown film instead by way of a British narration. Unfortunately getting a passing receptionist to chirpily read out the script, including the on-screen captions (FGS, why?!?) was a catastrophic error of judgement and rendered the whole thing bizarre with the juxtaposition of a light female tone overlaid onto some of the most serious subject matter imaginable. Why stop there? Why not get Joe Pasquale or Sarah Millican to do it instead?!?

Such a shame as it was a very slick piece of filmmaking but the narration constantly undercut the grave subject matter to the point where I was distracted throughout. Who could have possibly signed off on that and thought it passed muster?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    Its an astonishing film isn't it?
    I found it a mix of wonder, awe and horror. Some of the images look like the birth of a star or the end of the world.

I came across this documentary some years ago on one of the documentary channels then saw the DVD on Amazon. Totally agree with the footage. Some of it is astonishing. There is another documentary by same team about the camera crews who filmed the tests. I haven't got that one yet.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parker45 wrote: »
    Same here. My parents had friends who lived near Sellafield and i can still remember being taken to gaze on this place but at six years old it didn't mean very much to me!

It found it an interesting well made documentary.
    Michael Praed, Paul McGann, Juliet Stephenson and Barbara Flynn are the go-to quartet for quality voiceover work IMO. I imagine they command good money for a days talking.
    McGann seems to do loads of VO work and undoubtedly earns more now than he did from acting.
  • Options
    MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I missed the programme about Sellafield, so I tried to watch it on Catch-Up. Unfortunately they reduced the screen size for the addition of a man providing sign language, but it's repeated tomorrow night, so I'll catch it then.
    I spend quite a bit of time on Sellafield (I can see it from my office window), so I'm really looking forward to it.
  • Options
    ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    War Book was terrific.

Especially the bit where Phoebe Fox hitched up her skirt! She has to be the sexiest woman on the planet at the moment.
  • Options
    gwynnegwynne Posts: 721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrMarple wrote: »
    I missed the programme about Sellafield, so I tried to watch it on Catch-Up. Unfortunately they reduced the screen size for the addition of a man providing sign language, but it's repeated tomorrow night, so I'll catch it then.
    I spend quite a bit of time on Sellafield (I can see it from my office window), so I'm really looking forward to it.
    I started watching but that bloke 'signing' in the bottom rh of screen totally spoilt it for me!
    The size of the signer image was huge-completely spoilt what looked like a good programme.
    Why the hell do the BBC do it like this-why not use selectable sub titles so it does not annoy the vast majority of viewers?
    I switched the programme off I'm afraid as any 'signing' on programmes I find intensely annoying and think is completely unnecessary when sub titling should be available for those hard of hearing etc.
  • Options
    The_BonoboThe_Bonobo Posts: 5,649
    Forum Member
    War Book was a very well crafted film but it did freak me out a bit.
    After it had finished I kept hearing the guy from Dad's Army shouting "we're all doomed!".