Options

Harry Potter: Are The Dursley's Really That Bad??

XOXoAbbieoXOXXOXoAbbieoXOX Posts: 1,150
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know that for the first 11 years, Harry Potter was underneath the stairs and barely seen as part of the family. It was all about dear ol' dudders, but...do you think that seeing as they took Harry in when he was left on their doorstep rather than shipping him off to an orphanage means there is some goodness in their hearts after all?

I know it was never clear what was said in the letter that was written to them when Harry was left with them, given that Petunia seemed to strongly dislike Lily and was full of jealousy because she was the watch and herself, not, maybe the letter contained something which forced them to take care of Harry.

In my opinion, I do think there was some kindness there, after all, despite the fall out's they had over the years, Harry was always let back there. Although some could argue that they had an obligation, to be honest, if they'd really wanted Harry to go somewhere else, they could have sent him away.

I know it seems rather deep to think about this, but to be honest, it's something I've always wondered.

I know that Dudley redeems himself, so at least one of them turned out to be nice.

What do you all think?

Comments

• Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know that for the first 11 years, Harry Potter was underneath the stairs and barely seen as part of the family. It was all about dear ol' dudders, but...do you think that seeing as they took Harry in when he was left on their doorstep rather than shipping him off to an orphanage means there is some goodness in their hearts after all?

I know it was never clear what was said in the letter that was written to them when Harry was left with them, given that Petunia seemed to strongly dislike Lily and was full of jealousy because she was the watch and herself, not, maybe the letter contained something which forced them to take care of Harry.

In my opinion, I do think there was some kindness there, after all, despite the fall out's they had over the years, Harry was always let back there. Although some could argue that they had an obligation, to be honest, if they'd really wanted Harry to go somewhere else, they could have sent him away.

I know it seems rather deep to think about this, but to be honest, it's something I've always wondered.

I know that Dudley redeems himself, so at least one of them turned out to be nice.

What do you all think?

yeah , I remember that , but which book is it in ? is it in the films as well ?

btw - are they in the last movie ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member

Depending what they mean by redeems himself I would guess it happened in the last book.

They are not in the last film, but they are in Part 1
  • Options
    stick_of_rockstick_of_rock Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's in the last book, should have been in Deathly Hallows part 1 but wasn't.
  • Options
    thedarklordthedarklord Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's in the last book, should have been in Deathly Hallows part 1 but wasn't.

They did film those scenes for Deathly Hallows Part 1 but didn't include them for the final cut. You can catch those scenes on the DVD/Blu-ray.
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that people need to keep in mind that these are children's books. Bad characters are bad, good characters are good, there's not that much room for subtleties.

The set up for the books needed the Dursley's to be awful to emphasise the "rescue" of Harry. And like most children's books, the adults are disposed of as quickly as possible.

Let's face it, had the Dursley's been very nice and had treated Harry as one of their own, there would have to be some explaination and exploration as to why a nice family interested in the wellbeing of their children would be at all happy to see one of their children shipped off to boarding school to learn about magic.
    Bit career narrowing or what?
    What if Harry pre eleven had showed an interest in becoming a doctor, lawyer, scientist, fireman, policeman or a soldier in the armed forces and the family was supportive of those choices?
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite how social services never took over the care of Dudley never mind Harry is beyond me. ;):D
  • Options
    asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    It is clear to see that they was vile. We even see Petunia try and wrack Harry with a frying pan in one book so physical abuse also went on it seems. Plus the staving of him and letting there son bully him and beat him up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    asyousay wrote: »
    It is clear to see that they was vile. We even see Petunia try and wrack Harry with a frying pan in one book so physical abuse also went on it seems. Plus the staving of him and letting there son bully him and beat him up.

Makes it all sound so serious which it obviously was. But the way JK writes the Dursley material makes me laugh every time. Harry is a strong lad and stands up the Dursley's all the time. :)
  • Options
    VashettiVashetti Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I believe the Harry/Petunia scene was pivotal to the Deathly Hallows movie (especially considering Petunia's brief appearance in "The Prince's Tale") but sadly it was cut, however it was in the Special Features and can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14uzbvzkQHo

However, taking it off topic a bit here, but the biggest crime was that this scene was cut from the film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrPM87KvK1Q&feature=related

It explained so much (especially for movie-only fans).
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The scene where Ron and Hermione are throwing stones is just about the only scene in the entire film series where we get even the slightest impression that Hermione might fancy Ron. Well, we see her get upset over him being with Lavender, but that's more played that she's just jealous, not that she actually likes Ron...

The deleted scenes prove once and for all that David Yates can't direct for shit. I've never seen a director add absolutely nothing to a moment like that. He could have made so much more out of every single emotional beat in the story. The Dudley scene is pathetically staged. No wonder it was cut, it's awful even by Yates's standards.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,697
    Forum Member
    I often wondered if the Dursleys were really that horrible, why he was sent to stay with them too. In the books they are appalling to Harry, starving him and letting him get beaten up, but it also felt like they were Roald Dahl type villains especially in the early books. I only read as far as the 5th one :o
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I often wondered if the Dursleys were really that horrible, why he was sent to stay with them too. In the books they are appalling to Harry, starving him and letting him get beaten up, but it also felt like they were Roald Dahl type villains especially in the early books. I only read as far as the 5th one :o

there is something in the books about it , dumbledore says something about harry being safe with them because they're muggles or related to harry's parents ... I forget now , someone will know .

I hope .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    there is something in the books about it , dumbledore says something about harry being safe with them because they're muggles or related to harry's parents ... I forget now , someone will know .

I hope .

The reason he has to live with them is the charm left from Lilys death means that while Harry can call a place were his mothers blood still lives home, Harry can not be hurt there (by Voldy or his wrong dooers anyway) Hope that helps :)

Also, on Topic, Its like a prev poster says, The Dursleys need to be bad people for the story to work. However If we took them as real people then I'd say they was pretty vile people looking after Harry through fear of harm from people they fear, and cannot understand (Perhaps a drop of guilt on Petunias side too), but choosing to subject to him an less then happy upbrining.
  • Options
    EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Petunia is, in my opinion, bitter and jealous of Lily's magic. This clouds not only her relationship with Harry but her whole life.

Vernon isn't really a bad person, just none too bright. I think he actually believes he is doing the right thing. A few lines of his are very telling.

Dudley, in his final scene (book) is brilliant. Another one who is easily led and not very bright rather than being downright evil.
  • Options
    Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like others have said, the story required them to sound awful to make the whole rescue and change of life as dramatic as possible. Keep in mind that the early books in particular were targeted at children. The characters didn't need to be overly complex, because in children's books, the good guys and good, and the bad guys are bad. There are obviously some positives when you think about it - they took in their orphan nephew even though the sisters didn't get along - but a child reading the book isn't really going to care about things like that anyway! :p
  • Options
    Chocolate MonkeChocolate Monke Posts: 1,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that people need to keep in mind that these are children's books. Bad characters are bad, good characters are good, there's not that much room for subtleties.

The set up for the books needed the Dursley's to be awful to emphasise the "rescue" of Harry. And like most children's books, the adults are disposed of as quickly as possible.

Let's face it, had the Dursley's been very nice and had treated Harry as one of their own, there would have to be some explaination and exploration as to why a nice family interested in the wellbeing of their children would be at all happy to see one of their children shipped off to boarding school to learn about magic.
    Bit career narrowing or what?
    What if Harry pre eleven had showed an interest in becoming a doctor, lawyer, scientist, fireman, policeman or a soldier in the armed forces and the family was supportive of those choices?

Children's books they may be and, while there are some characters who are black or white, so to speak, there are quite a few subtleties there too. Take, for example, two of the most important supporting characters - Snape (well, he's a main character really) and Draco. One of the reasons Half-Blood Prince is my favourite of the series is because it begins to show that Draco is conscience-stricken. Not one of the goodies by any means, but not totally bad either. The same goes for his mother, who might be a bit of a bitch, but who is willing to go against Voldemort for the sake of her son. Then there's Slughorn, who is obviously one of the good guys, but is also a very self-serving character who is only interested in people who can boost his reputation.

As for Snape, well he's the standout character of the whole series for me. Let's not forget that he was once a real Death Eater, long before he pretended to be one. And yet he is the ultimate hero of the books, happy to be seen as the bad guy and hated by those around him so he could do good.

The good characters aren't always completely good, and the bad characters aren't always completely bad. The Harry Potter series has plenty of grey areas too.
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Children's books they may be and, while there are some characters who are black or white, so to speak, there are quite a few subtleties there too. Take, for example, two of the most important supporting characters - Snape (well, he's a main character really) and Draco. One of the reasons Half-Blood Prince is my favourite of the series is because it begins to show that Draco is conscience-stricken. Not one of the goodies by any means, but not totally bad either. The same goes for his mother, who might be a bit of a bitch, but who is willing to go against Voldemort for the sake of her son. Then there's Slughorn, who is obviously one of the good guys, but is also a very self-serving character who is only interested in people who can boost his reputation.

As for Snape, well he's the standout character of the whole series for me. Let's not forget that he was once a real Death Eater, long before he pretended to be one. And yet he is the ultimate hero of the books, happy to be seen as the bad guy and hated by those around him so he could do good.

The good characters aren't always completely good, and the bad characters aren't always completely bad. The Harry Potter series has plenty of grey areas too.

But that's much later in the series. The characters and the books grow up a lot over the whole series. But even then they rely on them being books for children and so the big questions don't really exist.

The first book is a straight up children's book. The only reason I read it at the time was because my oldest was 9/10 and reading it and I'd heard a lot of fuss about it.

It's a wonderful children's book, I remember getting a real sense of being at the start of something huge, something that would last for children long after all of us have gone. Much like the other children's classics.

But it is formulaic, no parents/adults to interfere with the adventures, adults are in supporting roles merely there to facilitate the main story of the children.

When (and if) you read any of the HP books without remembering they are written for children, great gaping holes start to appear and they fall apart.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »

Absolutely agree on the Roald Dahl front - when I picked up the first book, I was heavily reminded of the sort of antagonists he put in his children's books... they're very much comparable to Matilda's parents (in fact, I always pictured Mr and Mrs Dursley as looking like Danny DeVito and Rhea Perlman, who play Mr and Mrs Wormwood in the film version of Matilda). They're the sort of adults that children really despise - obsessed with appearances and gossiping about the neighbours, and on the whole quite dull... It's effective, because it makes you identify with the protagonist that is alienated by them, and the most important character that you should care about in the whole saga: Harry Potter.

On the whole, the Dursleys aren't that bad when it comes down to it - as much as anything, they provide an excellent source of comedy in the books, and for that, it’s difficult to hate them. :D
  • Options
    NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're weren't bad as such, not in the way Voldemort is bad. The Dursleys love each other so they can't be all bad, just like the Malfoys.

Like the Malfoys their worst actions are driven by fear and ignorance, neither of which are evil, they're just things without which we would all be much better people.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,262
    Forum Member
    J.K. Rowling has stated that nobody but Voldemort was wholly bad in the series.

She said that Dudley was the Muggle version of Draco, as in that they were both only children, both spoiled by their parents but in a way morally neglected, both raised to believe that certain types of people were inferior to them (with Draco it was muggle-borns and with Dudley wizards), and they were both typical bullies, yet cowards. Then Dudley eventually sided with Harry and began to respect him, as did Draco, whom without Harry, Hermione and Ron would have probably been killed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MJ_lives wrote: »
    J.K. Rowling has stated that nobody but Voldemort was wholly bad in the series.

She said that Dudley was the Muggle version of Draco, as in that they were both only children, both spoiled by their parents but in a way morally neglected, both raised to believe that certain types of people were inferior to them (with Draco it was muggle-borns and with Dudley wizards), and they were both typical bullies, yet cowards. Then Dudley eventually sided with Harry and began to respect him, as did Draco, whom without Harry, Hermione and Ron would have probably been killed.

I beg to differ.

Bellatrix?
    Wormtail?
    Barty Crouch Junior?
    Quirrel?
    Nagini :D

Don't worry, I'm nitpicking. :D Some good points there. It was nice to see the human side of the Malfoy clan come out there in the Hallows story. :)
  • Options
    NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wormtail was killed by his Voldemort-enchanted hand for feeling a short pang if mercy (that's not a spoiler is it seeing as it never happened in the films?), showing again his fear of Voldemort had more to do with his actions than any inherit evil.

Quirrel I think regreted his whole timeshare-turban arrangement but by that point it was too late.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bellatrix isn't strictly evil either. She's clearly insane.
  • Options
    VashettiVashetti Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She isn't entirely evil as she is in love with Voldemort.

Evil people are not capable of love.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vashetti wrote: »
    She isn't entirely evil as she is in love with Voldemort.

Evil people are not capable of love.

But she's also capable of murder. In cold blood. Cold blooded murder without any guilt whatsoever is just one of my personal criteria of evilness. :)