Options

Goodnight Sweetheart - last episode

Comments

• Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    I think it seemed odd because the last episode rushed through so much. Everything from Gary saving Attlee (I didn't like this - in fact, I disliked all the sci-fi, quasi-Quantum Leap stuff about Gary having 'fulfilled' his destiny in the time loop) to him being trapped to Yvonne finally finding out after all those years was covered in thirty minutes. I do think Yvonne needed to find out, but her disbelief, shock, anger and then desire for Gary to return really warranted longer than just one scene. Still, I did find her being abandoned rather sad.

So did I. Poor Yvonne, it really was a very unhappy ending for her.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    To be fair, he wasn't really rich. In fact, he specifically said that the song hadn't made much money, but had given him a bit of a start in life. If you accept the basic time travel premise, I didn't see that as far fetched.
    But when he tried to make Ron and himself rich, 'time' wouldn't allow it, so why it allowed him to give his son a better start in life is the real question.
  • Options
    steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    I think it seemed odd because the last episode rushed through so much. Everything from Gary saving Attlee (I didn't like this - in fact, I disliked all the sci-fi, quasi-Quantum Leap stuff about Gary having 'fulfilled' his destiny in the time loop) to him being trapped to Yvonne finally finding out after all those years was covered in thirty minutes. I do think Yvonne needed to find out, but her disbelief, shock, anger and then desire for Gary to return really warranted longer than just one scene. Still, I did find her being abandoned rather sad.

The final episode did seem rushed. Whether Gary should of been stuck in the past is a good idea or not I dont know.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steven1977 wrote: »
    Whether Gary should of been stuck in the past is a good idea or not I dont know.

It was the natural way to end it, in my view. Gary was so indecisive, he would have just tried to live two lives indefinitely, otherwise, and so the saga could never have ended. It was morally satisfying as an ending, as Phoebe and his son's were the ones who needed him most, plus it showed you cannot have your cake and eat it indefinitely, and that there is a price to be paid for such subterfuge as Gary's, ultimately.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What struck me about the last episode is that Gary looked fed up to be trapped in the past. He undoubtedly loved Phoebe more than Yvonne but I got the impression being stuck in the 1940s was far from his preferred option.

There may well have been an element of Gary being punished for all his years of lying and cheating.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The time portal closed after Gary saved Clement Atlee's life. Gary has a realisation that he was transported back for that purpose and with the future prime minister saved the portal was locked, Gary had done his job. So for all his cheating and lying he actually ended up by saving the life of a man who changed post war Britain.

They could bring back set in 1958. Pheobe could run a swanky London night club, Gary could be making money writing songs (well stealing songs), they would have a teenage son too. Yvonne could have made millions and is about to be conned by a charming con man (say David Jason) and the time portal opens so Gary can stop this happening. As it would be a one off it could be left that we dont know if Gary stays in 2012 or goes back to 1958.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yvonne could have made millions and is about to be conned by a charming con man (say David Jason).

Now if you said 'conned by a charming con man (say Del Boy)' it would been an interesting proposition of a possible sitcom crossover-as opposed to the piece of libel it is now!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would of made a most interesting storyline if both his wives had ended up giving birth.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now if you said 'conned by a charming con man (say Del Boy)' it would been an interesting proposition of a possible sitcom crossover-as opposed to the piece of libel it is now!:D
    lol oh yes i of course should point out "played" by David Jason
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol oh yes i of course should point out "played" by David Jason

Have they ever done cross over sitcoms before?

Red Dwarf doesnt count because the crossover was a soap not a sitcom.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt_1979 wrote: »
    I have often wondered why they quit as well. I don't know if it was ever said why.

Dervla said she felt her character wasn't developing, and although she was very tactful about it I think she was frustrated. She said this in an interview that was included on one of the GS DVDs which must have been a few years after the programme ended, and she said she didn't have the confidence to speak up for herself when it was being filmed. It seems a shame that she left when she did because Phoebe got some much more interesting storylines in the latter half of the series.

I don't know about Yvonne's first actress (can't remember her name - too lazy to google).
  • Options
    Brian ReynoldsBrian Reynolds Posts: 1,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The two actresses who played Yvonne were Michelle Holmes and Emma Amos, both of whom are still frequently seen on our screens. Actresses and actors are often reluctant to stay in a particular role for too long lest they are typecast or are compelled to turn down roles that could develop their careers. Dervla Kirwan, for example, was offered 'Ballykissangel' and being Irish, probably thought that this was a particularly suitable role for her. Despite this, she left half way through its run.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The two actresses who played Yvonne were Michelle Holmes and Emma Amos, both of whom are still frequently seen on our screens. Actresses and actors are often reluctant to stay in a particular role for too long lest they are typecast or are compelled to turn down roles that could develop their careers. Dervla Kirwan, for example, was offered 'Ballykissangel' and being Irish, probably thought that this was a particularly suitable role for her. Despite this, she left half way through its run.

Emma said on the DVD she was disapointed it ended and if asked would be very interested in returning.

I think Michelle was the one one of the 4 who didnt give a interview then again nor did Lyndhurst.
  • Options
    InNoctemInNoctem Posts: 91
    Forum Member

I wouldn't say 'frequent' but they are fortunately still working.:)

I 've come across a couple interviews with Dervla Kirwan where she said she's not the type of actress who would want to stay in one show for too long. She said something across the line of 3 series of any show being the maximum that she would do before she gets the itch to do something new.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InNoctem wrote: »
    I wouldn't say 'frequent' but they are fortunately still working.:)

I 've come across a couple interviews with Dervla Kirwan where she said she's not the type of actress who would want to stay in one show for too long. She said something across the line of 3 series of any show being the maximum that she would do before she gets the itch to do something new.

She said on the boxset she would return.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any idea where it's possible to watch the final episode. No idea when it will be on Gold, and I'm not sure I cant wait any longer!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    Any idea where it's possible to watch the final episode. No idea when it will be on Gold, and I'm not sure I cant wait any longer!!!

It was on either itv4 or itv2 , early last year; I don't if they have the rights for the series for this year.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt_1979 wrote: »
    Although I liked the earlier series of Goodnight Sweetheart I found some of the later episodes a bit far-featched, like when Gary's son Michael was really poor and Gary went back in time to put song royalties in his name and Michael returned to the shop really rich.

I thought the last episode was really sad where the time passage closed and Gary was stuck in the 1940s but what I found really disappointing was how no-one ever knew what happened to Gary in later years - his son never even said and the elderly version of Reg the copper didn't remember Phoebe and Gary.

It would have been good to hear what had happened to Gary after he was stuck in the 1940s.

You mean the earlier ones were more true to life ? :D
  • Options
    Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are so many possibilities for a one off special. In the past, Gary would be in the sixties by now enjoying all the music. And some of the songs he claimed to write would have been made. It would be interesting to see how Gary gets out of that situation. And in the present, Gary could be a legend who's since gone down in history as the world's first time traveller. Then the time portal reopens and Gary returns to find the world he left behind has moved on and everything is different...mobiles, flat screen TV's, the internet...and Yvonne is now married to another man. It would be brilliant!
  • Options
    ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Try youtube. I watched it on there but that was a while ago now though. Still worth checking if you still can.
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he would've been screwed when all the songs he copied got released. surely phoebe would know something was weird.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd watch it.

Yeah so woud i, im enjoying the reruns on Drama now :)
  • Options
    The_BonoboThe_Bonobo Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    One issue with the ending is that he didn't actually choose. If possible, would he have continually cheated on both women his whole life? Or could he have potentially chosen Yvonne in the end? Having the choice forced meant the character had no conclusion to his story arc in a way. Having a kid with Phoebe also confuses the issue and forces that option so it may have been better to avoid that story thread.

I think a good ending may have been that he goes to the future for some reason only to get stuck there. He then checks and finds that Yvonne married Ron and they had a happy life together (both modern people were happy in the end). Then it would have been good if he had a similar younger male friend in the 40s so that the same could happen with Phoebe (again she/they find happiness). Obviously they would all be disturbed by his sudden disappearance but the friends who know about the time travel could either explain or protect the women from that bigamist knowledge. This way it is a bittersweet ending for Gary. The lying cheat who thought he could have it all is in the end alone, but also the people he loves were happy in the end. Obviously this is a comedy so the very last shot could be him walking into a futuristic shop and spotting a gorgeous lady with them sharing a flirty glance. Gary may find yet another woman "out of time" and the audience is left to wonder what adventures lie ahead for him now. This would wrap things up, would provide a moral and fair conclusion, but also leave with a wink.
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_Bonobo wrote: »
    One issue with the ending is that he didn't actually choose. If possible, would he have continually cheated on both women his whole life? Or could he have potentially chosen Yvonne in the end? Having the choice forced meant the character had no conclusion to his story arc in a way. Having a kid with Phoebe also confuses the issue and forces that option so it may have been better to avoid that story thread.

I think a good ending may have been that he goes to the future for some reason only to get stuck there. He then checks and finds that Yvonne married Ron and they had a happy life together (both modern people were happy in the end). Then it would have been good if he had a similar younger male friend in the 40s so that the same could happen with Phoebe (again she/they find happiness). Obviously they would all be disturbed by his sudden disappearance but the friends who know about the time travel could either explain or protect the women from that bigamist knowledge. This way it is a bittersweet ending for Gary. The lying cheat who thought he could have it all is in the end alone, but also the people he loves were happy in the end. Obviously this is a comedy so the very last shot could be him walking into a futuristic shop and spotting a gorgeous lady with them sharing a flirty glance. Gary may find yet another woman "out of time" and the audience is left to wonder what adventures lie ahead for him now. This would wrap things up, would provide a moral and fair conclusion, but also leave with a wink.

he made the choice a few times to stay with phoebe. there was one on the other day where he thought the time portal was going to stop so he chose to stay in the past.
  • Options
    The_BonoboThe_Bonobo Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    hunter23 wrote: »
    he made the choice a few times to stay with phoebe. there was one on the other day where he thought the time portal was going to stop so he chose to stay in the past.

Fair enough, that compromises my idea somewhat. :D I always felt though that his marriage to Yvonne was quite strong in many ways. It wasn't like she was portrayed as a dragon apart from the forced changes later on so I felt that deep down he didn't know which he preferred. Also my feeling was that an appropriate ending would be that he loses out as he was a bit of a selfish sh*t really. :D