Options

Congratulations Beth Tweddle!

felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
Forum Member
I would have loved for Beth to have gone out on the biggest high possible and get Gold; but I'm so happy she finally got that elusive Olympic medal, whatever the colour, during her final competitive Gymnastics event! Well done Beth!

Comments

• Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beth Tweddle is a complete legend for what she has done for British gymnastics. This will sound crazy - but I think she is our greatest Olympian at these games.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Congrats to Beth!! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :) So pleased for her, yet gutted that there was that wobble on her dismount. Still, at least it's a medal which she SO deserved.
  • Options
    pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    Beth Tweddle is a complete legend for what she has done for British gymnastics. This will sound crazy - but I think she is our greatest Olympian at these games.

I have to agree with you here.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did she get bronze?
  • Options
    mrhahawiffymrhahawiffy Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    Did she get bronze?

Yes she did :)
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,023
    Forum Member
    Yes she did...first medal in the Olympics after a successful career in the other major competitions.
  • Options
    Madonna38Madonna38 Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Done Beth!!!! I was willing her on to get a medal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Yeah congrats to her, a bronze is not to be sniffed at. Her routine looked so much better and more complex than everyone else's so thoroughly deserved.

BTW, does anyone actually know why the judges seem to score what seem like perfect routines as only a 9 something for execution? Is it impossible to actually get a 10 or high 9? Watching the vault now the Ukrainian and Russian vaults were AMAZING, the commentators pretty much peed themselves and yet they scored a 9 something.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I missed it! Well done Beth. Who won gold and silver?
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to agree with you here.

Why do you both say that?

I'm not being inflammatory by asking by the way, just interested! I don't really know much about her.
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    congrats beth
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Strange comment.
  • Options
    TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Contrats, well deserved
  • Options
    End-Em-AllEnd-Em-All Posts: 23,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done Beth! I'm so so pleased for her :)
  • Options
    FiercelyHipFiercelyHip Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mtj wrote: »
    Strange comment.

Well not really it's all about opinions isn't it. I can understand why they said that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not being inflammatory by asking by the way, just interested! I don't really know much about her.

Wikipaedia is your friend:) I'm not a gymnastics expert but this is how it seems to me.

This is her third Olympics - she started at a time when it just wasn't possible for GB to have any success at Gymnastics. So, almost singlehandedly she started to achieve success, inspiring everyone around her to believe it was possible.

Now, as she retires, we have a gymnastics team that can compete with the best - both men and women. Had she been starting out now - who knows what kind of a career she might have had.

She has been a trailblazer and an inspiration in a Sport where, arguably, we have made as much if not more improvement than any other. And all through that time Beth has been a star. I think it's difficult to overestimate her contribution - and, as she retires - we should celebrate her career and recognize her status.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So glad she has her medal.....

Well done BT......
  • Options
    TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wikipaedia is your friend:) I'm not a gymnastics expert but this is how it seems to me.

This is her third Olympics - she started at a time when it just wasn't possible for GB to have any success at Gymnastics. So, almost singlehandedly she started to achieve success, inspiring everyone around her to believe it was possible.

Now, as she retires, we have a gymnastics team that can compete with the best - both men and women. Had she been starting out now - who knows what kind of a career she might have had.

She has been a trailblazer and an inspiration in a Sport where, arguably, we have made as much if not more improvement than any other. And all through that time Beth has been a star. I think it's difficult to overestimate her contribution - and, as she retires - we should celebrate her career and recognize her status.

Great Post +1
  • Options
    felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member

I was saying all of this to a friend earlier today. If Beth had began her career at a time when gymnastics was as popular as she has made it over here, she would have been unstoppable. As it is; she was in her prime when there wasn't much interest or investment in the sport; but she stuck to it and she put herself out there and represented the country practically single-handed.

She's a real trailblazer and has led to a big renaissance in British gymnastics; which we now see paying off for us - especially with the boys.

Louis Smith was talking today about how 'gymnasts bodies age in dog years'; which is so true. Considering Beth is about 10 years older and about a foot taller than most of her competition; her achievement today was absolutely fantastic. I thoroughly believe that the United Kingdom will become as big a presence in the sport in the next decade or so as China, the USA and Russia - and I'd say a hell of a lot of that is thanks to Beth and her absolute determination. She may not have a Gold Medal in her trophy room; but her legacy will go far beyond that. She will be owed a small part of every gymnastic Gold we win in the coming generations; won by kids who only ever had Beth as an inspiration.
  • Options
    telly fantelly fan Posts: 2,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so pleased for her well done !!!!
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Lewis Smith called her a grandma or similar :D He was being respectful :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Lewis Smith called her a grandma or similar :D He was being respectful :)

She has worked so hard for so long. I really really hope she doesn't suffer from arthritis later on. She is going to be a physio I think - so she can go on to make sure gymnasts don't damage their bodies any more than absolutely necessary.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Totally agree, she's been very inspirational but I can't help feeling a BIT disappointed for her because if she'd landed that dismount she definitely would've got the gold she deserves.
  • Options
    pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member

Well there are many reasons I say this, but probably the most important is what she has done for her sport.

She conducts herself in a very positive and professional manner.

Of course other athletes do this, and have these attributes but I feel she stands out as an inspiration to younger gymnasts. To compare sports is unfair, but for me her field has to be the hardest of the lot.

Well done Beth