Find My Past - Free 14 day trial ??

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just wondered if anyone has experience of this website and the 14 day trial ?

I have always fancied digging into my past for a family tree and such but there are so many to choose from and they ALL seem to want money !!!

Surely 14 days is plenty of time to raid their archives and build up a picture of my family , especially if I put the hours in ?

Any thoughts ?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like you have to give them your credit card details - even for the 14 day trial - that's not happening !
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    avail yourself of all the free trials, i find ancestry miles better than find my past and you can find out loads on the free sites. also a lot of site do payg credits.

re card, you just have to cancel renewal before the time is up.

edit: i`m happy to do lookups for you.
  • Doctor_DonnaDoctor_Donna Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always been tempted by the ancestry free trial, but not going to give them my credit card number as guaranteed they will end up taking money out after the free trial! You may think 2 weeks is a long time but once you get going family trees are addictive.

There are a lot of good free sites for family tree research the best being the IGI one https://familysearch.org/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The entering of your credit, debit or direct debit details on these sites are *usually* safe.

They ask this of you, in the hope you will forget to cancel before the free trial is over and they can start charging you.

Be warned though, entering your debit card details (the long number across the front of your card) means it cannot be stopped using your online current account, in the same way you can with direct debits and standing orders.
    Forum Member
    i did the free trials with no card problems at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avail yourself of all the free trials, i find ancestry miles better than find my past and you can find out loads on the free sites. also a lot of site do payg credits.

re card, you just have to cancel renewal before the time is up.

edit: i`m happy to do lookups for you.

That's so kind of you !

I'll see how I go with the free ones before I think of bothering you . ;)
    Forum Member
    my pleasure, and it`s no bother. corpse hunting is addictive, whoever the body belongs to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just tried FamilySearch with both parents names , place of birth , marriage details etc. NOTHING !

Tad dissapointing to say the least as everything else past them gets a bit vague .
    Forum Member
    you need to be further back unless you`re using the pay sites, they go to about 2006, family search doesn`t go much further than 1900 mostly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you need to be further back unless you`re using the pay sites, they go to about 2006, family search doesn`t go much further than 1900 mostly.

My search wasnt going that far back though and still nothing .
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Free trials" of most things online want payment details first. Just google to see if anyone had problems cancelling. If they're at it you usually see plenty of evidence.
    Forum Member
    Alexis07 wrote: »
    My search wasnt going that far back though and still nothing .

yes, that`s what i said, family search records aren`t as up to date as the pay sites, they`re about a century behind.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes, that`s what i said, family search records aren`t as up to date as the pay sites, they`re about a century behind.

Ah , I presumed the free sites would be up to date and the paid ones would go back further into the last .
  • topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP let us know if you do the trial and cancel successfully.

I had a problem like this with another site where you tried to cancel and it just said error
  • hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go to you local Library, you can access Ancestry free.
    Forum Member
    Ah , I presumed the free sites would be up to date and the paid ones would go back further into the last .
    often the free sites have stuff you can`t find elsewhere, it`s just a case of utilising all sites and google.
    Forum Member
    topcat3 wrote: »
    OP let us know if you do the trial and cancel successfully.

I had a problem like this with another site where you tried to cancel and it just said error

it worked fine for me.
  • sunnymegsunnymeg Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ancestry.com are fine, you can also, on this site, enter your card details on a monthly subscription and cancel the subscription immediately afterwards thereby only paying for one month. I do this as I now only use the website from time to time as most of my family research has gone back further than Ancestry records. One thing I would say is if you are planning to try a site for 14 days is to try and have a plan of what you want to search, and also try and find out from family as much info as possible. Even such things as knowing occupations can really help to narrow a search.
  • LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member

I have always fancied digging into my past for a family tree and such but there are so many to choose from and they ALL seem to want money !!!

Surely 14 days is plenty of time to raid their archives and build up a picture of my family , especially if I put the hours in ?

Any thoughts ?

DONT DO IT:D

10 years ago I thought Id try and do the family tree it totally takes over your life.You end up knee deep in bits of paper...to many ball point pens to be healty....husbands whos eyes glace over when you mention another long dead relative....BDM certificates......brickwalls.....relatives lieing on the different census...:D

But if you have got a few years to spare do it its worth it in the end lol.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Any thoughts ?
    You have nothing to lose, so long as you remember to cancel on Day 14?

I have had FMP and used it for a couple of years. It is handy to search by address, for example. But Ancestry is better, IMHO and seems to have more on it...

I cancelled my FMP eventually and now just use Ancestry but if it has enough to get you started, might as well have a look?
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LaineyT wrote: »
    DONT DO IT:D

10 years ago I thought Id try and do the family tree it totally takes over your life.You end up knee deep in bits of paper...to many ball point pens to be healty....husbands whos eyes glace over when you mention another long dead relative....BDM certificates......brickwalls.....relatives lieing on the different census...:D

But if you have got a few years to spare do it its worth it in the end lol.

:D

That "Who Do You Think You Are?" makes it look so easy. Of course it probably is with a team of researchers and a BBC budget to play with!
  • LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    Voynich wrote: »

That "Who Do You Think You Are?" makes it look so easy. Of course it probably is with a team of researchers and a BBC budget to play with!

And airplanes and taxis on 24/7 standby :D
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Voynich wrote: »

Yes, that always does make me smile! They say something like "We'll just look in this book here!" Lo and behold, absolutely everything that's wanted is in that book!

Full time professional researchers spending months and months to get the investigations to the stages they are at when shown on TV. I wish I could get them to do my family tree.
  • humanracerhumanracer Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few points
    1.findmypast,ancestry and other sites just list statutory birth,death and marriage records. You can actually search these records for free www.freebmd.org.uk/

2.the familysearch fee site is run by LDS (Mormons) and is only useful for Parish records going back further than the late 18th Century when statutory records did not exist. They won't list much modern records so go to freebdm for that.

3.the birth, marriage and death records only have indexes online. That means it will only give you the basic details such as names. To get the full details you will have to order certificates from the registry office by post. These cost money.

4.the one unique thing these sites have is census data. These are hard to come by for free online.

5.the pay sites are fine and safe but remember to cancel. The sites operate something called auto renewal which means they charge you once the free period ends. This catches many people out.

6.all the above only applied to England and Wales. Scotland has its own website called Scotlands People and you can actually view certificates online. If most of your family is Scottish then researching your family tree is very very easy. The site operates as a pay as you go system via credits.

Any more questions please ask.