Top Of The Pops 1980 - BBC4

Comments

• ramraider1ramraider1 Posts: 14,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Well I tipped you off well in advance in the very first post of the thread Torch! ;-)

I also adore two of New Musik's 1980 tracks, This World Of Water and also Living By Numbers. :cool:

What about Sanctuary and its abrupt ending? My favourite of New Musik tracks. On the B-side of Sanctuary there are 3 short tracks one of which is called Chic Musik, an absolute gem! Probably the best £1.29 I spent in 1980.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc6Lo5Xg8qQ
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello all and this is my first post on digitalspy.

Im lookin forward to the totp 1980 episodes and will watch 'the story of 1980 and big hits' with pleasure this friday night on BBC4.

My favourite singles of 1980 were

The jam - Going underground
    Motorhead - Ace of spades
    OMD - Enola gay
    Madness - Baggy Trousers
    The specials - Too much too young
    Dexys midnight runners - Geno
    Thin lizzy - Killer on the loose
    Blondie - Call me
    The undertones - My perfect cousin
    Queen - Another one bites the dust
    David Bowie - Ashes to ashes
    Boomtown rats - Banana republic
    The clash - Bankrobber
    The skids - Circus games
    The beat - Mirror in the bathroom
    Ultravox - Sleepwalk
    Phil lynott - Kings call
    Welcome Ryan, you chose a good place (and time) to put your debut post on the site, the same as me two and a half years ago. It will be interesting to hear a slightly younger perspective about 1980 during the year ahead, as I note you are mid 20's, and I'm not sure there are that many in that age who are regular posters. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ramraider1 wrote: »
    What about Sanctuary and its abrupt ending? My favourite of New Musik tracks. On the B-side of Sanctuary there are 3 short tracks one of which is called Chic Musik, an absolute gem! Probably the best £1.29 I spent in 1980.

I'm not as familiar with Sanctuary so will check it out Ramraider.

Like the sound of that Chic Musik mash up! Bet I can't get hold of it on the usual paid for download sources.

I've been listening to the 2 fabulous disco/dance hits that Change had in 1980 this morning, The Glow Of Love and A Lover's Holiday, a top twenty summertime double A side that year. I only discovered them in the past 5 years.
  • ramraider1ramraider1 Posts: 14,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I'm not as familiar with Sanctuary so will check it out Ramraider.

Like the sound of that Chic Musik mash up! Bet I can't get hold of it on the usual paid for download sources.

I've been listening to the 2 fabulous disco/dance hits that Change had in 1980 this morning, The Glow Of Love and A Lover's Holiday, a top twenty summertime double A side that year. I only discovered them in the past 5 years.

Both quality tracks from Change ( with a bit of help from der Luther ). Also check out the follow-up single Searchin / Angel in my pocket ( another double A ). Searchin is sublime. :)
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ones I'm looking forward to in 1980, in no particular order :)

Abba - Super Trouper
    Liquid Gold - Dance Yourself Dizzy
    Ottawan - DISCO
    Sheena Easton - 9 to 5
    Kelly Marie - Feels like I'm in love
    The Nolans - Who's gonna rock you
    Average White Band - Let's go round again
    Detroit Spinners - Working my way back to you
    Barbra Streisand - Woman in love
    Eddie Grant - Do you feel my love
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would've been nice if they'd done 1980 and 1990 as a double bill so we catch up quicker.
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,823
    Forum Member
    Jensen left in 1980 to be an anchor on CNN - not sure when he came back, but his R1 show was given to Powell. When the Kid did return, (as David) he did the pre Peel slot and thus beginning a legendary TOTP double act with Peel, before he left for the fortunes of commercial radio, and the throne of Aspel
  • Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone, not posted for a while but glad to see a 1980 thread started. Looking forward to the show on Friday night. Any chance we could cease and desist with the "why won't they show the Yewtreed episodes" on this one? As others have said, it's been done to death and has almost had the thread deleted once or twice. Happy New Year to you all when it comes.
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Ones I'm looking forward to in 1980, in no particular order :)

Abba - Super Trouper
    Liquid Gold - Dance Yourself Dizzy
    Ottawan - DISCO
    Sheena Easton - 9 to 5
    Kelly Marie - Feels like I'm in love
    The Nolans - Who's gonna rock you
    Average White Band - Let's go round again
    Detroit Spinners - Working my way back to you
    Barbra Streisand - Woman in love
    Eddie Grant - Do you feel my love

I loved the Detroit Spinners :)
  • Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »
    Jensen left in 1980 to be an anchor on CNN - not sure when he came back, but his R1 show was given to Powell. When the Kid did return, (as David) he did the pre Peel slot and thus beginning a legendary TOTP double act with Peel, before he left for the fortunes of commercial radio, and the throne of Aspel

Never knew this! Always assumed he was there throughout. But you're right, his last show is midway through the year, the last show before the revamp in fact, on the 29th May 1980 and doesn't return till the 15th October 1981! :o Maybe his decision to leave was made easy due to the 2 month strike. Still, at least he was replaced with some good presenters like Tommy Vance and Richard Skinner.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On paper Tommy Vance never looked like a great prospect, or a natural one as a presenter of not just TOTP but the Sunday evening radio chart show as well. But in reality he excelled at both in my opinion. One of the last things he did was Hell's Kitchen back in June 2004 and not long afterwards he passed away in March 2005. Remembered with fondness on my part.
  • keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »

It was Jenson who championed the Police on Radio 1 and because of this he did a link from the US to introduce the first play of their new single Don't Stand So Close To in September 1980 live on the Peter Powell show. Recall it well was poised with the record and play buttons on my Binatone ghetto blaster!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    http://everyhit.com/retros/index.php?page=rchart&y1=1980&m1=03&day1=1&y2=1980&m2=03&day2=1&sent=1

You know, its amazing looking at those music charts for the early part of 1980, the records just crept up the charts and waited in turn to get to number one.

I like Martha & The Muffins in at number 34 here
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://everyhit.com/retros/index.php?page=rchart&y1=1980&m1=03&day1=1&y2=1980&m2=03&day2=1&sent=1

You know, its amazing looking at those music charts for the early part of 1980, the records just crept up the charts and waited in turn to get to number one.

I like Martha & The Muffins in at number 34 here
    I shouldn't pay too much attention to those chart lists, they are not the real charts but some kind of hybrid set of run downs. Early / mid / late only makes 3 weeks per month when there are 4. It seems like some kind of amalgam. Much as I would have liked it, Randy Crawford did not reach No1 in September 1980 with One Day I'll Fly Away as it states but stalled for two weeks at No2.
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been looking at a list of (alleged) 1980 studio performances, some very good stuff coming up. If we get lucky with the episodes shown then I'm particularly looking forward to the following:-

Human League - Rock N' Roll
    AC/DC - Touch Too Much
    Undertones - Wednesday Week
    Split Enz - I Got You
    Saxon - Wheels Of Steel
    Buggles - Living In The Plastic Age
    John Foxx - Underpass
    Ramones - Baby I Love You
    Ultravox - Sleepwalk
    Stray Cats - Runaway Boys

Also, it just occurred to me that in the recent '79 year end special we saw Blondie's last ever, (well for 18/19 years anyway until "Maria"), studio performances. I'm pretty certain there wasn't one for any of the three cracking singles of theirs that we've got coming up in 1980, which is a shame.
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Never knew this! Always assumed he was there throughout. But you're right, his last show is midway through the year, the last show before the revamp in fact, on the 29th May 1980 and doesn't return till the 15th October 1981! :o Maybe his decision to leave was made easy due to the 2 month strike. Still, at least he was replaced with some good presenters like Tommy Vance and Richard Skinner.

His decision to leave wasn't influenced by the strike. CNN had approached him with an offer to join them in the US that required him to move asap. Radio One therefore released him from his contract so that he left at the end of that week (at the end of May 1980). Paul Gambaccini then filled in on the drivetime show for a few weeks, followed by Richard Skinner during the summer, before R1 settled on Peter Powell as the permanent drivetime presenter from the autumn.

Kid was back visiting the UK in the summer of 1981 and met Derek Chinnery (then controller of Radio One) at a party where he explained that CNN had not worked out for him. This resulted in him being offered the mid-evening rock show on R1 from Autumn 1981.
  • Ryan_Waide1Ryan_Waide1 Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    Yeah it was their last top 10 hit back in the autumn of 1980 i think.

Yeah rich tea i am 26 years old.

Sadly there will be some performances that we wont see due to yewtree.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Loved their singles so went to see them in concert. Worst concert ever 😁😁😁
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TUC wrote: »
    His decision to leave wasn't influenced by the strike. CNN had approached him with an offer to join them in the US that required him to move asap. Radio One therefore released him from his contract so that he left at the end of that week (at the end of May 1980). Paul Gambaccini then filled in on the drivetime show for a few weeks, followed by Richard Skinner during the summer, before R1 settled on Peter Powell as the permanent drivetime presenter from the autumn.

Kid was back visiting the UK in the summer of 1981 and met Derek Chinnery (then controller of Radio One) at a party where he explained that CNN had not worked out for him. This resulted in him being offered the mid-evening rock show on R1 from Autumn 1981.

How do you know this? Did you Google it or do you have a strange memory for facts? Just curious as I am rubbish at remembering stuff.
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »
    How do you know this? Did you Google it or do you have a strange memory for facts? Just curious as I am rubbish at remembering stuff.

Strange memory for facts! I still have a recording of Kid's final 1980 R1 show somewhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah it was their last top 10 hit back in the autumn of 1980 i think.

Yeah rich tea i am 26 years old.

Sadly there will be some performances that we wont see due to yewtree.

Have to confess I've been sat here wondering, whose? :confused:

But a bit of minor detective work suggests you mean The Boomtown Rats? In which case I think your right. IMO the singles that followed, "Never In A Million Years" and "House On Fire" were also great songs and worthy of being big hits, but it seems chart wise the Rats had peaked by then.

Welcome along btw! :)
  • Ryan_Waide1Ryan_Waide1 Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    Torch81 wrote: »
    Have to confess I've been sat here wondering, whose? :confused:

But a bit of minor detective work suggests you mean The Boomtown Rats? In which case I think your right. IMO the singles that followed, "Never In A Million Years" and "House On Fire" were also great songs and worthy of being big hits, but it seems chart wise the Rats had peaked by then.

Welcome along btw! :)

Thanks torch, yes The Boomtown Rats main big hits were from 1977 - 1980 in terms of chart Performance.

Also The Jam scored their first number 1 in march 80 with 'Going underground' i think was the first single to go straight in at no1 since Slade back in 1973. The follow-up 'Start' was also number 1 and was taken off the 'Setting Sons album.

The Clash also had 2 top 40 hits with 'Bankrobber' (no12) and 'The call up' (no40)

And The Skids scored their only top 40 hit of 1980 with 'Circus games' (no32) It seemed like 1979 was their best year for sales.
  • SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sanctuary has a slightly less abrubt ending on the From A To B album, but I think the way the single ended must have caught out many a DJ!

33 years overdue, I finally caught up with their ignored second album "Anywhere" this year - it's well worth a listen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks torch, yes The Boomtown Rats main big hits were from 1977 - 1980 in terms of chart Performance.

Also The Jam scored their first number 1 in march 80 with 'Going underground' i think was the first single to go straight in at no1 since Slade back in 1973. The follow-up 'Start' was also number 1 and was taken off the 'Setting Sons album.

The Clash also had 2 top 40 hits with 'Bankrobber' (no12) and 'The call up' (no40)

And The Skids scored their only top 40 hit of 1980 with 'Circus games' (no32) It seemed like 1979 was their best year for sales.

I believe that's correct and it was rightly considered a big deal at the time. I remember listening to the Sunday evening chart countdown when it happened. I was a big Jam fan at the time and was pretty excited about it, much to the bewilderment of those around me!

I don't recall The Jam actually performing that song on the show. I could well be wrong but I think only the video was ever shown? :confused:
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the Jam doing Going Underground on TOTP - and some banned DLT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9-LXbfFxvo

Another performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMGQC05_nSE
This discussion has been closed.