Facebook make equality changes

Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
Forum Member
✭✭
New Facebook designer Caitlin Winner has tackled the Facebook 'equality' issues

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/07/08/facebook-updates-its-friend-request-logo-to-make-men-and-women-equal_n_7752816.html

The friend request icon has now been changed to put the female silhouette at the same height and in front of the male silhouette, also, the group icon now has the female silhouette at the front and the biggest with another smaller female and male behind.

Why stop there, I think all women should be the same height or taller than men and I have lobbied my MP! :D

Seriously, I'm a big supporter of equal rights but is this equality? Did anyone look at these icons and see male supremacy? I didn't even notice it nor would I have done with the new icon if it hadn't been highlighted in this way.

Playing devils advocate and to open the debate, Is equality in gender now shifting to female dominance?

Comments

• MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meanwhile women on facebook are still getting their nipples censored. :'(
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member
    Oh FFS...
  • Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh God :D

I just checked my Facebook there and can't say I noticed what it was like before but the friend request is indeed as described in OP. When I go into the menu the icon for my friends list has the male in front and taller. Uh oh..........

http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/rhbg1/media/Mobile Uploads/2015-07-09 11.14.03_zpsyq48ywvy.png.html
  • shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The old logo made visual sense because women are generally shorter than men. This is utterly pointless.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shaddler wrote: »
    The old logo made visual sense because women are generally shorter than men. This is utterly pointless.

Yep, but I've lobbied my MP to tackle that unfair advantage men have and I urge you to do the same.
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    i'm going to complain it's blatant heightist propaganda.....bah >:(>:(>:(

i am now oppressed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Oh! I am so excited. Finally I can be as tall as my husband 5'8". No more of him resting his arm on my head when we are out and about. :D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meanwhile women on facebook are still getting their nipples censored. :'(

Isn't it progressive to not have nipples out?

Page 3 had been axed after all.

What's the point in getting rid of page 3 if kids can just go on facebook to see erotic nudity?
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    This is about perspective, in every meaning of the word.
  • AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    Where does the lunacy end?
  • silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Yep, but I've lobbied my MP to tackle that unfair advantage men have and I urge you to do the same.

I do hope this is a wind-up. If not, then I feel sorry for the OP! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    silversox wrote: »
    I do hope this is a wind-up. If not, then I feel sorry for the OP! :D

Do you not think that all women should be the same height or taller than all men, then :o
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've instructed OH to reduce his height by 7 inches, otherwise I'll report him for sexism. >:(
  • Plucky_OctopusPlucky_Octopus Posts: 736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All these years of Facebook, and I never noticed. Surely this means I have been subconsciously repressed for years not noticing the glaring difference! :D
  • silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    Do you not think that all women should be the same height or taller than all men, then :o

I really couldn't care less! Surely there are more important issues around, other than the portrayal of the height of men and women on Facebook? I just can't take the OP seriously.

There's an old saying - 'Get a Life'
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All these years of Facebook, and I never noticed. Surely this means I have been subconsciously repressed for years not noticing the glaring difference! :D
    We deserve compensation :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    silversox wrote: »
    I really couldn't care less! Surely there are more important issues around, other than the portrayal of the height of men and women on Facebook? I just can't take the OP seriously.

There's an old saying - 'Get a Life'

and who is that saying aimed at?
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the friend request icon is actually a male and a female. I never knew this until now. Thank christ someone's tackled this obviously heinous gender inequality crime.
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think they should be, I demand they should be. I've also written to my MP, and the lead singer of Echo and the Bunnymen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think they should be, I demand they should be. I've also written to my MP, and the lead singer of Echo and the Bunnymen.

Good call!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    I think Ian McCulloch's hair adds a couple of inches to his height. I do hope you've asked him to have a trim TrollHunter.
  • DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People really do have too much time on their hands :o

But why is the woman now looking fatter than the man?
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ruthus wrote: »
    Isn't it progressive to not have nipples out?

That depends on who you ask, apparently Mary Whitehouse was very anti-nipple, was she progressive? or was she just a demented old prude?

Warning - Link may contain nips
    Ruthus wrote: »
    Page 3 had been axed after all.

What's the point in getting rid of page 3 if kids can just go on facebook to see erotic nudity?

Page 3 wasn't axed because the Sun suddenly became "progressive" it was axed because they couldn't be arsed anymore.
  • scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are many subtle, unintended and subliminal ways in which women can be put in a subordinate position and I do think it's appropriate to notice this and also address it in the appropriate way.

Things have come on a long way since things like this

http://neatdesigns.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/1108.jpg

or maybe not

https://a2medialois.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/screen-shot-2014-06-16-at-14-18-39.png

https://ruthsdesignblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/lynx-ad-001.jpg
  • donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it has to be the opposite,in fact there should be a ban on any woman dating a man shorter than herself.It just doesn't look good in the photos.
    Perhaps the EU can look into this once they solve the Greece thing.