Options

Doctor Who Vs Star Wars - Itv Gets More Bizarre!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 888
Forum Member
✭✭
As announced, ITV have scheduled The Phantom Menace against Doctor Who on May 21st.

But they're cutting off 35 mins before the film's finished for the news at ten past 7!

Are people really going to put up with that kind of schedule splicing in a world of DVDs and movie channels?

The breaks for the news are understandable mid-week for news at 10/10.30, etc - but is it really necessary early eve at a weekend?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That company is heading down the sh*tter as far as I am concerned.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think they are hoping, possibly in vain, to capitalise on the upcoming release of Ep 3. Dreadful mistake hacking off 35 mins in my opinion as viewers do notice. Be interesting to see what happens....if anything.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,309
    Forum Member
    Think they are hoping, possibly in vain, to capitalise on the upcoming release of Ep 3. Dreadful mistake hacking off 35 mins in my opinion as viewers do notice. Be interesting to see what happens....if anything.

Surely they should be providing an alternative to Sci-Fi instead of more? Like you say, it'll be interesting to see how it performs, though I suspect it may do quite badly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    beee wrote:
    Surely they should be providing an alternative to Sci-Fi instead of more? Like you say, it'll be interesting to see how it performs, though I suspect it may do quite badly.

Especially as they were shown quite recently. Perhaps they are hoping as the Star Wars frenzy for Ep 3 steps up a gear people will tune in.....we shall see.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like a very petty move by ITV.

Like beee above says, they should simply be providing a good alternative.

It always comes across as childish when ITV reveal a programme to oppose something on BBC1 as "ITV's answer to...". :rolleyes:

Very unimaginative cynical move, that looks more like they are throwing their toys out of the pram and sulking because Celeb Wrestling got trounced.

It just looks like a spoiling tactic done out of spite, and not so much like they're actually putting their heads together to come up with an original idea.

I wouldn't be surprised to see ITV try to prove that they can do science fiction better than the BBC by simply showing a popular science fiction movie (somebody elses imagination)every week until the run of Doctor Who is finished. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Dr QuincyDr Quincy Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know Doctor Who is not everyone's cup of tea. And I know that there are plenty of obsessed Star Wars fans (my mate watched Phantom Menace 15 times in the cinema) but if you haven't got it on tape from the last time it was shown, surely you will have the FULL version on DVD or something. I just see this as a pointless excercise. But then as a big fan of Doctor Who, it can only help keep the ratings high, and for the series thats good! In other words I don't want ITV to show anything decent. So far they've lived up to that expectation. :p
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's gonna be a bad night for ITV with Doctor Who followed by Eurovision which I believe last year averaged 8 million and peaked at around 10.5 million!
  • Options
    Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To show The Phantom Mence really smacks of desperation and to have a break in it early on Saturday evening is just plain stupid.

To quote the mighty Andrew on Buffy..."I'm bored..Episode I bored" I'll be sticking with Doctor Who.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Doctor Who has put the fear of god into ITV

Fear leads to......

...suffering.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    ITV just gets worse and worse and worse. Seriously who the hell is in charge over there and what are they thinking. Why is ITV even still on our screens? Isn't it about time they just went bust and made room for a company that behaves like it has at least a modicum of common sense and self awareness.
  • Options
    aidiousaidious Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    LOL Apart from Doctor Who, what has the BBC got that is any good?

The best show on TV at the moment is Coronation Street - that's why it is the most watched show on Telly. Eastenders is abysmal, yet it is still the best thing (bar Dr Who) the corporation has to offer us.

I watch ITV far more than the BBC at the moment and even Dr Who is not un-touchable. When up against the last in the series of Ant and Decs Saturday Takeaway, DR Who was THRASHED - a fact conspicuous by its absence from the Digital Spy ratings round-up archive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jimboc wrote:
    As announced, ITV have scheduled The Phantom Menace against Doctor Who on May 21st.

But they're cutting off 35 mins before the film's finished for the news at ten past 7!

Are people really going to put up with that kind of schedule splicing in a world of DVDs and movie channels?

The breaks for the news are understandable mid-week for news at 10/10.30, etc - but is it really necessary early eve at a weekend?

This reeks of desperation on ITV's part to me. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aidious wrote:

The best show on TV at the moment is Coronation Street - that's why it is the most watched show on Telly. Eastenders is abysmal, yet it is still the best thing (bar Dr Who) the corporation has to offer us.

I watch ITV far more than the BBC at the moment and even Dr Who is not un-touchable. When up against the last in the series of Ant and Decs Saturday Takeaway, DR Who was THRASHED - a fact conspicuous by its absence from the Digital Spy ratings round-up archive.

Are you sure? :confused:
    I thought Doctor Who got more ratings than the final episode of Ant and Dec.
    And even if it didn't, I don't think it was thrashed by any stretch of the imagination.

The BBC produces lots of good stuff. Documentaries, drama, news, sitcoms, sports coverage. And if BBC 1 can't give you what you want, BBC 2 has loads of good stuff as an alternative.

But I agree that Doctor Who isn't untouchable.
    But the trick is to find something that can touch it.
  • Options
    Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the final ratings were in Doctor Who beat every week of Ant and Dec.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aidious wrote:

Even going by the overnight figures, Doctor Who was never "thrashed". It got 7m to Ant & Dec's 7.1. The final figures showed Doctor Who with a comfortable lead over A & D.
  • Options
    megarespmegaresp Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jimboc wrote:
    ITV have scheduled The Phantom Menace against Doctor Who on May 21st.
    The Phantom Menace?

Would that be Sadam's Weapons of Mass Destruction? Tony Blair's terrorists that are both different and worse than all other terrorists in the history of Earth? David Blunkett (the man who wouldn't die)?

What is this 'Menace' you speak of, Earthman?
  • Options
    Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After reading all the exelent reasons and justifies criticism I have to ask myself will anyone watch Stars Wars or The Phantom Menace, makes me think ITV might have been better keeping Celeb Wrestling. lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does strike me as rather a feeble and clumsy attempt to try and split the viewers which does smack of desperation on the part of ITV.

I don't think ITV anticipated how successful DW was going to be or that it would consistently attract high viewing figures week on week but I suspect they will be scratching their rather worn and puzzled heads to come up with something for next year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely the way to compete with Doctor Who would be to show something completely different?, surely they have a couple of romantic comedies or something, which are more likely to appeal to different audiences.

Its like Bravo putting Alias up against 24 all over again!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A movie is an admission of defeat - no two ways about it. I can only assume they went with TPM because of the upcoming Ep III release - else it would have been Bond.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    aidious wrote:

At final ratings Ant And Dec's final episode was thrashed, this has been well reported all over DS. Originally it looked as though DW had been beaten in the estimates but when final figures arrived it scored around 1/4 a million more viewers. So still as yet nothing has beaten Doctor Who on a Saturday night!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    Lets face it ITV's schedule is a practical joke, how much reality TV can they knock out? The over dilute the nations TV with Soap, then give you a more than healthy dose of fat people trying to lose weight, z list celebs wrestling or trying to lose weight or as the future see's trying to sleep with one another, then there is the music I mean lets not forget the Awful Hit Me Baybe One more time and were only a few weeks away from X Factor 2 I suspect And we just narrowly survived Hells Kitchen. And if not to add insult to injury they back it up with Footballers wives and Bad Girls both so far fetched they could be Sci-Fi. ITV is starting to look like a channel on sky that keeps chucking up the same 8 programmes 7 nights a week.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    eminuu wrote:
    A movie is an admission of defeat - no two ways about it. I can only assume they went with TPM because of the upcoming Ep III release - else it would have been Bond.
    This only makes sense if they also plan to show Attack of the Clones before the EPIII hits the big screen.

But I don't care as we are having our own five movie Star Wars DVD party before heading off to the cinema.
  • Options
    Neily NNeily N Posts: 1,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets face it ITV's schedule is a practical joke, how much reality TV can they knock out? The over dilute the nations TV with Soap, then give you a more than healthy dose of fat people trying to lose weight, z list celebs wrestling or trying to lose weight or as the future see's trying to sleep with one another, then there is the music I mean lets not forget the Awful Hit Me Baybe One more time and were only a few weeks away from X Factor 2 I suspect And we just narrowly survived Hells Kitchen. And if not to add insult to injury they back it up with Footballers wives and Bad Girls both so far fetched they could be Sci-Fi. ITV is starting to look like a channel on sky that keeps chucking up the same 8 programmes 7 nights a week.

I agree. I mean who is interested in fat people's life and programmes about fat people such as "Fat Friends". That show desprately needs a Marjorie Daws type person, to make it more interesting.

"Hit Me Baby One More Time" isn't too bad, but whats ITV's obsession with witholding results in their talent shows? Are the figures so low, that only ITV staff and their families vote? It's only fair you have ALL placings announced on a show.

As for the other reality TV shows *shudder* - "Celebrity Love Island" is going to be the worst show ever. I mean who wants to see slags like Abi Titmuss and Rebbeca Loos cop off and have sex? It's wrong, and is just a cheap way of entertainment. "Big Brother" will trounce it in the ratings. "Celebrity Wrestling" - Enough said. Jeff Brazier is the only positive.

As for it's dramas well "Bad Girls" is a joke. Even fairy stories are more realisitic than this. Plus, there is too many tedious ones such as "Life Begins". As for soaps, well they show too much, and it's hard to keep track.

It's worse than a cable channel, in fact even those cash-cow channels on SKY Digital probably have more originally programming than ITV. It's just not on, and I for one can't see the channel lasting it's 51st birthday.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    aidious wrote:

Absolute rubbish - Dr Who has won its time slot every week since it started and on at least two occasions was the top rated Saturday show on any channel. Do get your facts right.