Options

The Big Holby City Thread (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    Maria747 wrote: »
    I thought Harry had great potential but the writers made a major mistake by pairing him with Gemme. He was alright on his own and plus the writers did not give him strong enough patient storylines and a personal story for us to have an interest in his background.

It's interesting that you say that, because I would have said exactly the same about Gemma. As she was there a few months before Harry, I thought that she was all right before he turned up. In fact, she was briefly one of my favourite characters. I thought that she was naturally quite fiery, but was able to tone that down when she realised it wasn't doing her any favours. She was caring, compassionate, a good doctor and had an interesting enough background with her former 'Dr Honey' career, as well as having been presumably a teenage mum as her son looked about nine or ten. I felt that as soon as Harry joined, the charisma that Gemma had on her own went out of the window, and she really ceased to be enjoyable to watch at all.
  • Options
    StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for the long essay folks !:blush:

Pretty much "yes" to everything :D
    It's interesting that you say that, because I would have said exactly the same about Gemma. As she was there a few months before Harry, I thought that she was all right before he turned up. In fact, she was briefly one of my favourite characters. I thought that she was naturally quite fiery, but was able to tone that down when she realised it wasn't doing her any favours. She was caring, compassionate, a good doctor and had an interesting enough background with her former 'Dr Honey' career, as well as having been presumably a teenage mum as her son looked about nine or ten. I felt that as soon as Harry joined, the charisma that Gemma had on her own went out of the window, and she really ceased to be enjoyable to watch at all.

All the Harry/Dr Honey stuff was a bit meh but the no:1 reason I disliked her was when she brought her bloody son into the hospital who then proceeded to steal and/or break patients things and run away and hide/be a general pain in the jacksie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Studmuffin wrote: »
    All the Harry/Dr Honey stuff was a bit meh but the no:1 reason I disliked her was when she brought her bloody son into the hospital who then proceeded to steal and/or break patients things and run away and hide/be a general pain in the jacksie.

Wasn't it after Harry joined that she started doing that though?
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    I think she had done it before he arrived - certainly there was one episode when she press ganged Digby into looking after him and then Spence ended up with him - Harry wasn't involved. Also, I'd say that single mothers do have issues with childcare (especialliy when they can't afford Nannys) so fine to address it once, but it became their standby plot for her and it was annoying that he wouldn't stay put. My Mother used to have to take me ro work from time to time but I just stayed in the Staff Room (Mum was a teacher) where I was told to - I didn't wander the building as I wished.

I agree both were better apart - Harry was okay in the UID episode where they only briefly interacted.
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Sacha works best on AAU. Ric belongs on Keller. Serena probably on Keller too.

They have got it all mixed up lately, and it's just not working well, for me, anyway.

And I really miss Michael!! (please come back, Hari!!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oddly, I think of Sacha as being Kellar person but maybe it is because he started there and worked so well with Ric, Jac, Donna and FLNT.
  • Options
    Maria747Maria747 Posts: 2,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I liked Gemma's individual character too and agree with your views on Gemma and I thought she worked very well in concert with Digby as with Michael and Sacha, its a shame really that the writers wasted her character as she was a fine actress.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Sacha works best on AAU. Ric belongs on Keller. Serena probably on Keller too.

They have got it all mixed up lately, and it's just not working well, for me, anyway.

And I really miss Michael!! (please come back, Hari!!)

I hear you Collins and agree with you, mind you Serena does liven things up when she is on AAU. I definitely miss Michael's swagger, charm and rebelliousness and his compassion for patients plus him going out of the way to help/protect his staff when they need help. Also, some of his memorable quips were hilarious.

@kitkat, I kind of remember Sacha on Keller but my terrible memory seems to think that Sacha has always been on AAU.

I think the only character now who has the ability to fit in any ward is Digby. He works well with most characters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think the only character now who has the ability to fit in any ward is Digby. He works well with most characters.

He doesn't work well with Dominic. He didn't with Chantelle either, as he let his infatuation with her affect the work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He doesn't work well with Dominic. He didn't with Chantelle either, as he let his infatuation with her affect the work.

Without wishing to speak for her, I think Maria meant Diigby works well as a character with most other people rather than whether he is professional with them. Some characters can 'fit' with lost of different characters as they have a spark and others don't. In that respect I think it is a little early to say with Digby as there are characters we haven't seen him with - anyone remember him appearing on Darwin or sharing a scene with any of the crew up there for instance? Which is Jac, Jonny, Elliot, Mo, Oliver and Tara when they were still here. That is over a third of the cast.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ah, have to disagree with you on Chantelle, I thought Chantelle and him worked quite well together as a couple. He did have the odd relapse but I wouldn't say he was totally disastrous at work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sacha spent his first 18 months on Kellar (with brief stints in Holby Care) from November 2009 to June 2011 so I found it very strange when he shifted to AAU and whilst I enjoyed his friendship with Eddi and Luc, Ii hated the Josh (surfboarder) plot and then when they moved Chrissie down there and his storylines seemed to revolve around her and pined for the days it was him, Jac and Domma on Kellar.
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that lumping Sacha with Chrissie really dragged him down as a character. I loved his friendship with Jac when they were both on Keller. something along those lines again would be nice.

His friendship with Mo seems to be non-existent now, since the kiss - obviously it served it's purpose (the kiss) in being part of the breaking up with Chrissie storyline.

I agree that Digby works well with most characters but I see George's point about him with both Chantelle and Dominic. They both brought out an unprofessional petty vindictiveness in him that was/is not very endearing, but overall I still like him a lot.
  • Options
    wiggles247wiggles247 Posts: 48,088
    Forum Member
    I like Digby too but do think that his relationship with Dominic could get very boring (and annoying) very quickly!!! And I do think that's partly to do with the fact that I don't really like Dom as a character (he seems to be all surface no depth to me at the moment - but that will hopefully change) yet and, if I'm honest, have yet to be convinced by the actor really, but also is to do with how I can see the storyline progressing.

I did think Gemma could have been a very interesting character (didn't like her entrance but think there was enough there for her to really develop) and agree that she (and the actress) were really ill-served by the choices made for her by the PtB. It is, as some people have said earlier like they put all their eggs in the Harry-Gemma relationship basket, and then, when that didn't work out, didn't have a plan B for her.

Not really sure about Sacha on Keller - did love him there before but am not feeling it so far on his return. Think that might be because he seems to have undergone a minor character transformation as well - I really thought he'd make a better clinical skills tutor than he is at the moment. I understand that he can't always be the cuddly Sacha I know and love but actually think he handled that situation where the patient complained about Digby really badly and as for his 'if one of you fails, you'll all fail' line last week it's just ridiculous (and i'm fairly sure unenforceable actually).
  • Options
    sohvimussohvimus Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    Regarding Lexi's warfarin... it's all so simplified on tv. In reality of course the hospital doesn't just give a dose, discharge the patient and hope for the best. Warfarin treatment gets monitored, no matter what. Lexi's too high INR would've been noticed at an out-patient's clinic and the dose adjusted there. There is no "standard" warfarin dose which works for everyone, because people react to it differently, plus so many other things (diet, other medication, any infections, flu jabs, etc.) can affect it. And not all patients have the same target INR in their treatment.
  • Options
    leopard_printleopard_print Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not enjoying Holby so much now. The Arthur and Dominic thing is ridiculous. Also Sacha is unbearable. The ridiculous faces he pulls and the way he goes on and on is awful! :(
  • Options
    sohvimussohvimus Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I am finding several characters rather annoying in this episode, Digby, Dominic, Adele, Jonny and even Sacha.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was really interesting to see Harry's dad and very interesting and refreshing that someone actually isn't proud of his son being a doctor because he felt that he never had to work for everything he has. Not quite sure I get that but I suppose he wanted him to work in a business and achieve with his merit? However, as a doctor you also achieve???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am abit confused about Guy and Serena scene at the end. Was it's Harry's influenne which made her back down ? I thought Serena wouldn't have backed down so easily
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    sohvimus wrote: »
    Regarding Lexi's warfarin... it's all so simplified on tv. In reality of course the hospital doesn't just give a dose, discharge the patient and hope for the best. Warfarin treatment gets monitored, no matter what. Lexi's too high INR would've been noticed at an out-patient's clinic and the dose adjusted there. There is no "standard" warfarin dose which works for everyone, because people react to it differently, plus so many other things (diet, other medication, any infections, flu jabs, etc.) can affect it. And not all patients have the same target INR in their treatment.

Exactly - I had to smile when she said she has 'one (warfarin) a day' - it's about how many mgs you need to take rather than just taking one tablet.
  • Options
    NosaerNosaer Posts: 3,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wiggles247 wrote: »
    I like Digby too but do think that his relationship with Dominic could get very boring (and annoying) very quickly!!! And I do think that's partly to do with the fact that I don't really like Dom as a character (he seems to be all surface no depth to me at the moment - but that will hopefully change) yet and, if I'm honest, have yet to be convinced by the actor really, but also is to do with how I can see the storyline progressing.

I just can't get over the fact that Dominic should never have worked again at Holby after he attempted to destroy Malick by lying in court, and I am not surprised Digby can't either. I cannot see Digby ever accepting him without undergoing a complete personality transplant(which I guess is always a possibility given what the writers have done with Johnny).
  • Options
    OcadoOcado Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like that Dom all that much either, but to be honest both him and Digby are at fault.

Digby for not keeping his personal and professional lives seperate from each other, Dom for continually trying to stir it for Digby by telling tales, Digby for having tunnel vision at times when dealing with patients, Dom for sucking up to Sacha at every chance. What makes me laugh though, is they can work perfectly well together when they can be civil and professional to each other.

Malick I am sure would have been able to be professional abot working with Dom again, but personally would have been harder on him than Digby or Zosia. Have to say I agreed with Sacha though about Digby winning Doc of the Year. He has zero bedside skills, although he seemed to be better at it when he was with the fake fireman.

Serena and Adele are both a bit meh for me atm. Ditto with this whole power struggle between Jac and Jonny. Wouldn't mind betting that at some point a reference to Jeremy Vile will be made. Something along the lines of 'My daughter's mum refuses to let me have a say in her upbringing'.
  • Options
    MsWilder11MsWilder11 Posts: 13,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Holby has become background viewing to me, it's official :( I kept glancing at it intermittently, but ended up leaaing the room about 20 mins before it ended.

From the bits I saw, I was just immensely irritated by everyone, even Jac (dare I say it :eek:). Digby/Dominic rivalry - same shiz, different episode. Jac/Jonny angsty battle over Emma is just boring now and for the first time Jac's "I'm doing this and you can't stop me" thing just made me roll my eyes. Harry = yawn...

Holby really isn't in a good way for me right now and if it keeps going like this then I can see myself switching off. I hate saying that too because it's been one of my favourite shows for ages :(
  • Options
    Louise-annLouise-ann Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am abit confused about Guy and Serena scene at the end. Was it's Harry's influenne which made her back down ? I thought Serena wouldn't have backed down so easily

In a way I think so, she'll be the team player, but find a way to get the ultimate control.

Loved having Serena back on our screens.

Sacha, I've never warmed to the guy and he is just getting more meh, Dom is meh. Digby is now annoying because of Sacha and Dom.... Zosia is now meh - get her back on Darwin or somewhere.

Adele made some funny quips but she too is annoying.

Today, I liked Harry - now that Gemma has gone he is working a lot better.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sohvimus wrote: »
    Yeah, I am finding several characters rather annoying in this episode, Digby, Dominic, Adele, Jonny and even Sacha.

Sacha has always seemed irritating IMO.

Nosaer wrote: »
    I just can't get over the fact that Dominic should never have worked again at Holby after he attempted to destroy Malick by lying in court, and I am not surprised Digby can't either. I cannot see Digby ever accepting him without undergoing a complete personality transplant(which I guess is always a possibility given what the writers have done with Johnny).

Quite agree.
This discussion has been closed.