10 Years of Girls Aloud

blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 2,997
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just want to say how so so proud i am of Girls Aloud for getting to this decade mark today. I have followed them for 10 years, and never have i known a group who blossomed so much individually and as a group year by year. For putting out consistently good pop music and been so outstanding along the way.

It is the perfect pop group. Every member deserves to be there and contributes.. I still remember Popstars the Rivals and noticing each and every one and i remember when they where announced into the group that something special was being formed. For putting out seven platinum records that are all so perfect and amazing. The group for going further and breaking boundaries more so then i ever thought they would and for keeping the same line up, getting on so well and have great chemistry. I've bought every record and i can only think of one word to describe everything - OUTSTANDING. *Gets Up* *Starts clapping*.

Comments

• wonderwall2012wonderwall2012 Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    I like them but I don't think they are coming across well in this reunion, the new songs imo aren't very good at all and it all seems half hearted and for the cash.

They were really good around the time of Call the Shots & The Promise though.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I like them and they were definitely one of the most successful reality TV acts ever. I initially expected them to have a couple of singles, maybe an album and then disappear or end up as a fad like Hear'Say and split up after a year, but it's great that they lasted so long. They released some great pop songs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    Girls Aloud WERE great. I this this comeback is anything but. They seem so bored/lazy all the time now. I mean come on, the new tracks weren't exactly great were they?

I think they just don't seem bothered anymore, like they have put no effort into this. This whole comeback seems so rushed and like a failed attempt. Not as bad as The Spice Girls mind.
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Something New, I'm surprised its falling down the charts so fast (number 14 or something this week).

But, I only really started liking Girls Aloud seriously as a band over their last two albums because I honestly prefer electronic-influenced music to pure pop music. I like their mature sound much better than their pop sound.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were quite good, with a few catchy songs, but individually (apart from 1 of course;) ) they flopped big time, and this reunion looks desperate.
    Most of their fans (except the op) have moved on and grown up.
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the success of the reunion I think the GH could well be a good constant seller over Christmas, especially with the primetime ITV documentary; and the tour's going to be a massive success but Something New is doing terribly. It's down to #23 on iTunes and it's not even been out two weeks yet. Still at least it peaked (really) high.

Personally I'm just glad the song didn't get to #1 after all now as a chart run of 1 - 14* looks even worse than 2 - 14.

*Wednesday's midweek position.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am very proud of them and I look back at their hits and do not cringe and think that there songs are cheesy, when in actual fact they have done some great pop tunes.

I hold Girls Aloud in much high regard than The Spice Girls.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 495
    Forum Member
    Dirge. Never had a quality song (ie.no "Whole Again", no "Never Ever"). Never sold a bean outside the UK where you dont have the advantage of the local factor and where the standard has to be much higher. Alone they were hopeless, Cole the worst singer of the five was thrown out of the US because shes a nobody, now desperate and back together they will once again rely on the cheap local factor.

Theres good pop (Britney, Pink, even One Direction) that have hugely popular catchy songs, and then theres bargain basement pop (Girls Aloud, Steps, Olly Murs).. who without relying on the home market (UK buyers) wouldn't exist.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im abit bemused by people being 'proud' of them, thought you could only be proud of someone, something, you were connected with...

their success has been a huge surprise really. i dont think many could have forseen their success. i like them, i like their songs, they have been one of the best pop acts over the last ten years but whether or not it can continue is anyones guess. but we thought that ten years ago!
  • Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im abit bemused by people being 'proud' of them, thought you could only be proud of someone, something, you were connected with...

their success has been a huge surprise really. i dont think many could have forseen their success. i like them, i like their songs, they have been one of the best pop acts over the last ten years but whether or not it can continue is anyones guess. but we thought that ten years ago!

When you support a person for a decade they begin to feel like family - especially if you have met them a few times too.

They personal feel like my sisters, i am extremely proud of them and the other fans.

GA are the greatest girl group that will EVER exist, the best thing is they have proved it with their music!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DC 17 wrote: »
    Dirge. Never had a quality song (ie.no "Whole Again", no "Never Ever"). Never sold a bean outside the UK where you dont have the advantage of the local factor and where the standard has to be much higher. Alone they were hopeless, Cole the worst singer of the five was thrown out of the US because shes a nobody, now desperate and back together they will once again rely on the cheap local factor.

Theres good pop (Britney, Pink, even One Direction) that have hugely popular catchy songs, and then theres bargain basement pop (Girls Aloud, Steps, Olly Murs).. who without relying on the home market (UK buyers) wouldn't exist.

They have had hits all over Europe and Australia...

and if One Direction is good pop?!!!!!!:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think its fair to say they havnt had a quality song. Biology and Call The Shots are 2 of the best pop songs in recent times, but i guess thats just my opinion. I have always liked them as a group, never a huge fan, but they are good at what they do, and they have been pretty consistent with their songs. I actually think something new is one of their better songs
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They personal feel like my sisters...

:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    :D:D:D

Ha ha your username describes that perfectly!:D
  • MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    Love them, I think they do care about the music just as much and especially their fans. I mean CD2 was a fan choice album, not many artists would allow that!

I just think their attitrudes have changed in life, they have other passions and hobbies as well BUT at the end of the day they are a group and love what they do in the music industry

Maybe you have to be a real fan to understand. They actually really care about their fans!

A good example of someone cashing in is Britney, you can definitely tell she has given up on music!
  • TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have had hits all over Europe and Australia...

and if One Direction is good pop?!!!!!!:eek:

Their success has been very, very modest at best in Australia and Europe. They've did incredibly well in Ireland, though, as you'd expect.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, the girls have most certainly done well, I'm surprised at people not liking the new songs tbh, I think they're pretty awesome!
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ten is down to #5 in today's midweek btw.

No news on where Something New is yet though.
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    ;)Ten years! Is there no end to our suffering...!!!;)
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A decade of mediocrity.
  • Lewis26Lewis26 Posts: 1,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like them but i wish they would stop banging on about it being ten years, they havent done anything for years!
    I like there new stuff as well so hopefully there will be a new album after there greatest hits
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    A decade of mediocrity.

What is mediocre about the tracks Sound Of The Underground, Biology or Call The Shots?...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they had some tunes... I don't mind them so much, but they are overhyped. With the amount of tedious media attention that Heatmag, Popjustice, The Sun, Daily Mail, Mirror etc. gave them... they would have shifted over 50 million records. From what I understand they've not even sold more than 15 million in a career span of 10 years.

The press will never grasp that Girls Aloud are not a "Big" group. This is my gripe with pop groups, so incredibly commercial that they end up being rammed down your throat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does everyone say it's been 10 years of Girls Aloud?

They split up in early 2009 and didn't re-unite until like, last month, so really they were only around for about six/seven years. :p Does that mean the Spice Girls were together for 12 years because they split up and then re-united?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    Why does everyone say it's been 10 years of Girls Aloud?

They split up in early 2009 and didn't re-unite until like, last month, so really they were only around for about six/seven years. :p Does that mean the Spice Girls were together for 12 years because they split up and then re-united?

Then why are they selling everything as "10 Years of GA"... don't ask us, it's them.