Do you have a microwave?

Comments

• Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes a nice 900 watt Sharp one with twin grill, rear view mirrors and airbag. Sister-in-law got it for us 20 years ago when she worked at Sharp in Manchester. It's been a cracker and still is.
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    yes , but don't use it much , in fact the only thing I use it for now is boiling potatoes 'cos its a lot quicker than on the hob .

How do you boil potatoes? Do you use water?
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Are you sure you are using microwaves for that? Sounds like you have a combi-microwave with a conventional grill.

its a Panasonic combi..yes
  • chloedancerchloedancer Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    I don't think i could function day to day without one and i have never had a ready meal(unless you count frozen bulk cooked from scratch foods as ready made). use it for reheating,for defrosting.Sometimes you can go to work,go to a friends or to the gym after and be in no mind to cook when you get home.so the previously frozen leftovers can be really handy.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member
    :confused: What's next? Do you have shoes?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    :confused: What's next? Do you have shoes?

yes

no

dont know
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes

no

dont know
    "Do you participate in polls? Yes, or No" :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    "Do you participate in polls? Yes, or No" :D

yes

no

maybe

to some extent

dont know
  • trayhop123trayhop123 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anybody who wears shoes is clearly mental

i wear trainers ,,,,,,,

,,,, and sarcastic trousers
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You sound lazy,
    who wants to waste time unnecessarily?
    Baked potato in the oven is easily 10 times better than cooked in the microwave.
    Much quicker and just as good in a combi

Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know. What I'm saying is you must lead a pretty sorry existence if you can't spare half an hour to prepare food. I'd be looking at my lifestyle.

Or maybe leads an existence such that there are other things the person prefers to use 30 mins for.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neelia wrote: »
    who wants to waste time unnecessarily?
    Much quicker and just as good in a combi

I tend to do most of the cooking of a baked potato in the microwave then finish it off in the oven alongside other things. The oven adds a crispness to the skin that you can't get unless you have a grill in the oven (which mine doesn't). Reheating previously cooked meals is a good use for a microwave. I have a slow cooker (hopefully well into its stride as I type this from 60 miles away) and that tends to make three meals. I typically eat one when I get home then reheat the others over the next two days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who cook know that there's a lot more to a microwave than crappy ready meals.

Including the not crappy ready meals - those you made previously and have put in the freezer for handiness later.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to do most of the cooking of a baked potato in the microwave then finish it off in the oven alongside other things. The oven adds a crispness to the skin that you can't get unless you have a grill in the oven (which mine doesn't). Reheating previously cooked meals is a good use for a microwave. I have a slow cooker (hopefully well into its stride as I type this from 60 miles away) and that tends to make three meals. I typically eat one when I get home then reheat the others over the next two days.
    I have a new kitchen with a lovely new double oven and induction hob and was toying with the idea of getting a new small microwave but the smallest ones don't have the oven combi feature and I am realising just how useful the combi is. As I said before most things that I would use the ordinary oven I prefer to do in the combi with a very low microwave setting to help it on its way.

Just the other day I did myself baked potatoes and butternut squash both with oven and microwave setting and then put them on a gammon steak on a plate and back in with combi setting with microwave 50% for about five mins. It was beautiful and minimal washing up. I could have made a **** sauce in a measuring jug really quickly and again much easier to wash up than a saucepan.

The ideal solution for my kitchen would have been if my double oven had the microwave function in it but they don't seem to do these conventional oven size.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    scotch eggs are best cooked in the microwave [from scratch].
  • 2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be without my microwave, mainly use it for warming-up or defrosting.

Strange attitude some people have towards them. It's like telling people you have a Kindle, who then think that's an either/or situation and you're not allowed to buy paper books! :confused::D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    how can you not know if you have a microwave or not Lol
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    No, we have no real use for one, we don't eat enough stuff that requires a microwave really. That and we haven't really got space. Can't say i miss one.
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trayhop123 wrote: »
    ,,,, and sarcastic trousers
    I prefer ironic tweed.

I have two microwave ovens, stacked on top of each other. Why don't I get a poll option? Also, one of them has a top and bottom grill, so is very good for pizzas and baked potatoes (but not at the same time). I also have two conventional ovens / grills, a gas hob, a contact grill thingy and a blowtorch. They all get used for cooking.

Don't really understand why anyone would want to deride such a useful piece of equipment.
  • scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    Yes and use it most days
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    I've never needed one.

So how do you cope with rock hard butter on soft bread?
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »

Same way my mother did - leave the butter out.
    neelia wrote: »
    I[...]

Just the other day I did myself baked potatoes and butternut squash both with oven and microwave setting and then put them on a gammon steak on a plate and back in with combi setting with microwave 50% for about five mins. It was beautiful and minimal washing up. I could have made a **** sauce in a measuring jug really quickly and again much easier to wash up than a saucepan.

[...]

I don't usually jump on typos, but that one is marvellous.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    DianaFire wrote: »
    Same way my mother did - leave the butter out.

I don't usually jump on typos, but that one is marvellous.

:cool: **** sauce is a real thing. :cool:

http://www.thepauperedchef.com/2006/06/spaghetti_alla_.html
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The stuff you learn on the internet.
  • bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »

...wifes hair-dryer.