Options

BBC just told where else we can watch football, why?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The BBC has just put up annoying pop-ups while showing the world cup, telling us where else we can watch the match ie: phone, web, radio etc. Why, would I think That's a good idea, I turn the tv off and watch on my phone, don't think so. Can all stations stop these pop-ups.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from the HD, it is a bit pointless to advertise other outputs on the main channel I agree.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's promotion disguised as information. An IPP in fact.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    It's promotion disguised as information. An IPP in fact.
    But it a negative promotion, no-one would turn tv off to watch on a phone etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And what if you have to go somewhere in 10 minutes time and want to know where else you can continue to listen to/watch the game?

Maybe you're not by a TV for some of the other games and didn't know the other places to can catch the games and was thinking ah shucks can't watch the game... well, now you know how to.

Find some better things to complain about...
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    more IPPs at the BBC? this is getting out of hand, they didnt learn from Doctor Who
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »
    And what if you have to go somewhere in 10 minutes time and want to know where else you can continue to listen to/watch the game?

Maybe you're not by a TV for some of the other games and didn't know the other places to can catch the games and was thinking ah shucks can't watch the game... well, now you know how to.

I recon everyone knows how else u can see a watch these days anyway!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »

Forgot to say your very rude, I have as much right as anyone to start a forum, not for you to tell me ehat i can and can't complain about.
  • Options
    Object ZObject Z Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myscimitar wrote: »
    Forgot to say your very rude, I have as much right as anyone to start a forum, not for you to tell me ehat i can and can't complain about.

Yes, I agree, some posters like to be rude. In most cases they would'nt dare speak directly to people like that.
    Just ignore him/her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    I don't mind them mentioning it, it's useful to know the services available but why did they force Guy Mowbary to run through the whole "advert script" whilst Uraguay were attacking meaning that instead of commentating on the game he was commentating on what the BBC can do.

That made it over intrusive for me.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

What if you are going out before the game finishes?
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have thought that as a PSB they have an obligation to let the public who pay for it via their licence know which other platforms they can view on , not everyone knows..

But I would agree that it should be done at the right time, in this case not when it distracts from a game being played.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why, would I think That's a good idea, I turn the tv off and watch on my phone, don't think so.
    this guy might

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/830443-apple-fans-conduct-ipad-wedding
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    dbgm123 wrote: »
    I don't mind them mentioning it, it's useful to know the services available but why did they force Guy Mowbary to run through the whole "advert script" whilst Uraguay were attacking meaning that instead of commentating on the game he was commentating on what the BBC can do.

That made it over intrusive for me.

Yep i agree with that. he had to read the whole script and sped it up as uraguay were attacking. That was wrong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    People may not turn off and watch this match elsewhere, but they now know they can watch future matches elsewhere.
  • Options
    Pink_PounderPink_Pounder Posts: 13,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Presumably people don't think "Wow, they're offering this service exclusively for this match. What a shame because I'll miss the game tomorrow because I'll be out. If only there was a way I could keep up to date. If only the service they're providing during this match would be extended for the rest of the tournament. Oh well..."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People may not turn off and watch this match elsewhere, but they now know they can watch future matches elsewhere.

It should then have been done just before match started or at half-time
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC has just put up annoying pop-ups while showing the world cup, telling us where else we can watch the match ie: phone, web, radio etc. Why, would I think That's a good idea, I turn the tv off and watch on my phone, don't think so. Can all stations stop these pop-ups.

The trouble is broadcasters assume that their audiences are all morons. Those who techno-minded will know full well where to tune in, how to watch online etc.

However, the majority will just want to watch the match in their armchair, with a beer or two and so in this case advertising other outlets of broadcast is meaningless.

The bit at the end where they give you details of upcoming matches will be the best place to suggest other ways to watch, but that would be too respectful to the audience. We mustn't have that must we? I agree with your post.
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    more IPPs at the BBC? this is getting out of hand, they didnt learn from Doctor Who

Did you really think they would?? They've done all that kind of thing before. When the BBC says that they listen to viewers' complaints about something, it means the complete opposite. They don't have a care.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What if you are going out before the game finishes?

Then just check the score later. If you're staring at your phone while out and about you'll probably fall into the road.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Did you really think they would?? They've done all that kind of thing before. When the BBC says that they listen to viewers' complaints about something, it means the complete opposite. They don't have a care.

Oh yes they do!

Anyway, the IPP lasted for all of 5-10 seconds.

You know, just like ALL other broadcasters have IPP'S during football, usually to tell you what live games they've got coming up.

All this did was tell the viewer the platforms they could watch the World Cup on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    Oh yes they do!

No, the broadcasters do not care.
    Anyway, the IPP lasted for all of 5-10 seconds.

That's irrelevant. The fact is it was there.
    You know, just like ALL other broadcasters have IPP'S during football, usually to tell you what live games they've got coming up.

All this did was tell the viewer the platforms they could watch the World Cup on.

All of those can wait until halftime or be done before/after the game.
  • Options
    steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member

its info, come monday pm, because youve seen the ad on sundays game, youll know to go online to watch it.
  • Options
    RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's handy. I can't always be at home to watch the matches, but it's good to know I can catch up online or on my phone. As long as it doesn't interfere with matches who minds?
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    DVDfever wrote: »
    No, the broadcasters do not care.

I can assure you the BBC do at least, and i have forwarded your complaints to a former colleague of mind.

That's irrelevant. The fact is it was there.

It's hardly irrelavant, as you paint it to be a solely BBC issue, and it ISN'T - as IPP'S are rife across all broadcasters.

All of those can wait until halftime or be done before/after the game.

And that's probably what will happen, if they get enough complaints.
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC have a duty to promote other content they provide.