Cats who won't suffer too much when owners are out long hours around four days a week

Comments

• aikiaiki Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    queenshaks wrote: »
    I think dad was tortoiseshell cos the siblings had the colouring. Mum is ginger and so is Simba, in fact he looks very similar to her.

I posted this a while back....Simba's mum and siblings

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=55199744&postcount=447

Simba

Gorgeous cats!

I don't think it's possible to tell what colour Simba's dad was by the colour of the kittens but we can be sure he was not ginger, and almost certainly not tortoiseshell.

Male tortoiseshell cats are extremely rare.

This is because the gene that gives ginger fur is carried on the X chromosome. Normal males, with one X and one Y chromosome, can only have one copy of the gene, inherited from either parent. If they have the ginger version of the gene they're ginger, if they don't they're not. A genetically normal male can't be tortoiseshell, so the few male tortoiseshells that exist are genetically abnormal in one way or another (either XXY or mosaic) and often infertile.

Normal females have two X chromosomes so can have one or two copies of the ginger gene, but need two copies of it to be ginger. One copy and they are tortoiseshell.

Because female gingers have two ginger genes, they have to have inherited a ginger gene from BOTH parents. So you can only get female gingers from a) a ginger mum and ginger dad, or b) a tortoiseshell mum and a ginger dad. But you can get male gingers from any pairing with either a ginger dad or a ginger or tortoiseshell mum. This is why ginger females are rarer than ginger males (25% versus 75%).

As Simba's mum is ginger, she has the ginger gene on both copies of her X chromosomes, so every kitten she has would inherit one ginger gene from her. Therefore all her boy kittens would be ginger, and all her girl kittens would be tortoiseshell - UNLESS the dad was also ginger in which case all kittens, both males and females, would be ginger. Hope that makes some kind of sense...!
  • queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aiki wrote: »
    Gorgeous cats!

I don't think it's possible to tell what colour Simba's dad was by the colour of the kittens but we can be sure he was not ginger, and almost certainly not tortoiseshell.

Male tortoiseshell cats are extremely rare.

This is because the gene that gives ginger fur is carried on the X chromosome. Normal males, with one X and one Y chromosome, can only have one copy of the gene, inherited from either parent. If they have the ginger version of the gene they're ginger, if they don't they're not. A genetically normal male can't be tortoiseshell, so the few male tortoiseshells that exist are genetically abnormal in one way or another (either XXY or mosaic) and often infertile.

Normal females have two X chromosomes so can have one or two copies of the ginger gene, but need two copies of it to be ginger. One copy and they are tortoiseshell.

Because female gingers have two ginger genes, they have to have inherited a ginger gene from BOTH parents. So you can only get female gingers from a) a ginger mum and ginger dad, or b) a tortoiseshell mum and a ginger dad. But you can get male gingers from any pairing with either a ginger dad or a ginger or tortoiseshell mum. This is why ginger females are rarer than ginger males (25% versus 75%).

As Simba's mum is ginger, she has the ginger gene on both copies of her X chromosomes, so every kitten she has would inherit one ginger gene from her. Therefore all her boy kittens would be ginger, and all her girl kittens would be tortoiseshell - UNLESS the dad was also ginger in which case all kittens, both males and females, would be ginger. Hope that makes some kind of sense...!

Fab info, thanks :)
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because a penthouse in Manhattan (our main home) only allows for indoor cats. Little choice really.
    Well then don't get a cat for heavens sake. Personally I detest cats but it's plain wrong to keep one in an apartment. There IS a choice and it's not to have one. :rolleyes:
  • queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well then don't get a cat for heavens sake. Personally I detest cats but it's plain wrong to keep one in an apartment. There IS a choice and it's not to have one. :rolleyes:

How do you know how big the apartment is? And if you detest cats, keep your opinions yourself.

Grumpy by name and nature.
  • statenislandstatenisland Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You detest cats? How horrid, you sound like some evil character from a fairy tale.

Our apartment is spacious. If you have read the rest of this thread you will see that the cat's (or cats') welfare is my priority and I would never ever get one (although I think after reading this thread two is most definitely the way to go) if it would not be comfortable, happy, and healthy in the environment I can offer at present.

Now go away, Cruella! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    queenshaks wrote: »
    How do you know how big the apartment is? And if you detest cats, keep your opinions yourself.

Grumpy by name and nature.

My thoughts exactY! I don't like indoor cats, but if the op is willing to look after them well it's her choice!
  • Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have 3 indoor cats, they don't seem to miss the outside because they've never been there, they have plenty of toys and things to climb and scratch and they quite honestly seem happy. I'm not against letting cats out it's just that with the busy roads near me i won't risk it.
    I decided to keep mine indoors the first night i moved into my new flat and that night a neighbours cat was run over just outside, its a choice i'm very happy i made, if i thought my cats were suffering because of it i wouldn't have them.

And as for kitten proofing you might need to cover or hide wires, 1 of mine have had a thing for chewing cables luckily everything they managed to get hasn't been dangerous but she did manage to chew through 2 wii sensor bar wires, multiple head phone leads, a keyboard cable, a mouse cable and a tv aerial cable....also block up small gaps, i thought my ragdoll cross looked too big to get himself into small gaps, i was wrong and having to pull out my washing machine and freezer wasn't fun!
  • dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha you just reminded me of when I "lost" one of mine in the kitchen, could hear her, but was nowhere to be seen.

Eventually, after opening all the cupboards, moving the washing machine etc, found her inside one of my deeper drawers, I'd had the thing open for maybe 20 seconds, and she'd climbed in! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the great replies.

What about things at ground level? Plants (ones that are not poisonous/dangerous to the cats), ornaments, vases etc? Are these to be moved higher?

If I put one of my (expensive) bags or shoes down on the floor when I return from work will they have scratched them?

How do you all stay on top of the moulting? Regular brushing is a given but anything else?

And anyone with a more definite solution to cat-proofing balconies and windows?

Does putting a throw over sofas and chairs protect them from clawing?

I want them to be as happy and safe as can be.
    Forum Member

What about things at ground level? Plants (ones that are not poisonous/dangerous to the cats), ornaments, vases etc? Are these to be moved higher?

If I put one of my (expensive) bags or shoes down on the floor when I return from work will they have scratched them?

How do you all stay on top of the moulting? Regular brushing is a given but anything else?

They should scratch on a post if trained early to do so - never tell them off for scritting elsewhere as they don't understand, they're just doing what comes naturally! Just move them to thier post, over & over until they get the message, the younger they are the better! (A selection of posts is good too - plus a used one is even better, they love over scenting other cats)

They shouldn't scratch your bags etc, but they are great play things, so it may happen accidentally. No idea about the balcony im afraid, but a good google might be helpful?
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,781
    Forum Member

I've never known a cat scratch a bag or damage shoes. Last year I brought a lovely handbag to my brother's house and left it on the floor while we had dinner. One of his rabbits chew completely through the strap! Cats don't bother with bags.

Scratching posts can help but they don't completely eliminate the problem of scratched carpets and furniture I'm afraid (not in my case anyway)

Most cats don't knock ornaments, I've only had one or two things broken over the past 17 years of cat ownership. My Tabitha did like to push over anything 'light' that was at the edge of a table such as a pen or coaster - she liked to see it fall to the ground, a bit like a child does. She also liked to chew at house plants and would sometimes pull them over so I got rid of them. I have 3 cats now who sometimes engage in mad chasing games around the house but, even then, I don't get any breakages. However, you would need to be sensible and place any really valuable objects out of 'easy' reach (some cats are such Houdinis that they can reach anywhere).

Moulting can be a problem. I have to vacuum frequently but I still find hairs on my clothing all the time. I think cat owners just accept that their cats shed hair. Regular brushing can help and is a must if you have a long haired cat (their coats can knot and tangle). I am very house proud but I made a decision, years ago when my first cat was small, that I'd rather have a happy cat than an immaculate house. I still try though, as best I can.

I have a throw on my leather armchair but it doesn't really protect from claw marks (but it does hide the current marks :)) I believe there are products on the market that you can spray on furniture to keep cats away but I've never bothered, I like my cats to make themselves comfortable wherever they want.

You definitely need to restrict access to your balcony if you are high up. I know some cat owners in flats have installed stair-like contraptions from their balconies to the ground so their cats can access the communal gardens but I don't believe, from what I have read, that this would be possible in your case?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my two only use their scratchboards or their chaise they never scratch anywhere else and they actually sleep on my waterbed
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MarellaK wrote: »
    I've never known a cat scratch a bag or damage shoes. Last year I brought a lovely handbag to my brother's house and left it on the floor while we had dinner. One of his rabbits chew completely through the strap! Cats don't bother with bags.

Scratching posts can help but they don't completely eliminate the problem of scratched carpets and furniture I'm afraid (not in my case anyway)

Most cats don't knock ornaments, I've only had one or two things broken over the past 17 years of cat ownership. My Tabitha did like to push over anything 'light' that was at the edge of a table such as a pen or coaster - she liked to see it fall to the ground, a bit like a child does. She also liked to chew at house plants and would sometimes pull them over so I got rid of them. I have 3 cats now who sometimes engage in mad chasing games around the house but, even then, I don't get any breakages. However, you would need to be sensible and place any really valuable objects out of 'easy' reach (some cats are such Houdinis that they can reach anywhere).

Moulting can be a problem. I have to vacuum frequently but I still find hairs on my clothing all the time. I think cat owners just accept that their cats shed hair. Regular brushing can help and is a must if you have a long haired cat (their coats can knot and tangle). I am very house proud but I made a decision, years ago when my first cat was small, that I'd rather have a happy cat than an immaculate house. I still try though, as best I can.

I have a throw on my leather armchair but it doesn't really protect from claw marks (but it does hide the current marks :)) I believe there are products on the market that you can spray on furniture to keep cats away but I've never bothered, I like my cats to make themselves comfortable wherever they want.

You definitely need to restrict access to your balcony if you are high up. I know some cat owners in flats have installed stair-like contraptions from their balconies to the ground so their cats can access the communal gardens but I don't believe, from what I have read, that this would be possible in your case?

wonderful response!

No, we are way high up and the stair contraption would be a long one (and ultimately lead down to very many busy roads).

What about taking indoor cats on walks? I know it's not really a cat thing but has anyone tried this?
    Forum Member
    wonderful response!

No, we are way high up and the stair contraption would be a long one (and ultimately lead down to very many busy roads).

What about taking indoor cats on walks? I know it's not really a cat thing but has anyone tried this?

you can get cat leads etc- but I would imagine living in manhattan it'll be busy on the foot paths, I'd be terrified they got stood on! (we've all seen the movies where everyones pushing to get through the ny streets to work, so its OBVIOUSLY just like that :o)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    you can get cat leads etc- but I would imagine living in manhattan it'll be busy on the foot paths, I'd be terrified they got stood on! (we've all seen the movies where everyones pushing to get through the ny streets to work, so its OBVIOUSLY just like that :o)

we have green spaces too. Central park has some really quiet spots and by the edge of the water also has some lovely quiet areas. But apart from that yes we are just like the movies! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,333
    Forum Member
    Agree with all above. As soon as I got my own place and didn't have my Dad's help (or likelihood of being there when I wasnt), I got my second cat. I work 8 - 6 and rehearse most nights until 10pm so I'm out a lot. As long as they have each other's company, food and are clean and warm they'll look after themselves :) x
  • Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never had any bags or shoes chewed or scratched but i have had ornaments broken, vases knocked down, sofa's scratched , plants have to be high up but even then usually one of mine will take a flying leap to reach it.
    There are lists online of plants and food items which are poisonous to cats, i do know poinsettias and lilies are highly toxic and so are onions, garlic and grapes.

my cousins cat was hit by a car this morning and just left in the road, luckily he will be ok...eventually, he needs an operation and a lengthy vet stay,
    just one more reason for cats to be kept indoors, in my opinion,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lost_Soul wrote: »
    I've never had any bags or shoes chewed or scratched but i have had ornaments broken, vases knocked down, sofa's scratched , plants have to be high up but even then usually one of mine will take a flying leap to reach it.
    There are lists online of plants and food items which are poisonous to cats, i do know poinsettias and lilies are highly toxic and so are onions, garlic and grapes.

my cousins cat was hit by a car this morning and just left in the road, luckily he will be ok...eventually, he needs an operation and a lengthy vet stay,
    just one more reason for cats to be kept indoors, in my opinion,

thanks for letting me know test extra bits. I have been doing research online but tbh people on here provide much better anecdotes.

Fingers crossed for your cousin's cat!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emzie21 wrote: »
    Agree with all above. As soon as I got my own place and didn't have my Dad's help (or likelihood of being there when I wasnt), I got my second cat. I work 8 - 6 and rehearse most nights until 10pm so I'm out a lot. As long as they have each other's company, food and are clean and warm they'll look after themselves :) x

This makes me feel better. Can I ask which breed(s)?

I can work from home one (maybe two) days Monday-Friday and as I have to communicate a couple of days with London offices during morning business hours (i.e. middle of night for me) it means I can probably try to negotiate more time working from home to make up for this.

I'll do my best to be around as much as possible and at least one or two members of the family is around at the weekend and on evenings.

What about hot things e.g. radiators? Heaters? How do they act with them?

And do they tend to jump onto lots of desks and work surfaces? This will be much worse than baby proofing! :eek::D
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dollymarie wrote: »
    Ha you just reminded me of when I "lost" one of mine in the kitchen, could hear her, but was nowhere to be seen.

Eventually, after opening all the cupboards, moving the washing machine etc, found her inside one of my deeper drawers, I'd had the thing open for maybe 20 seconds, and she'd climbed in! :D

Ours got lost in the wardrobe! OH and I were going away for the night, and OH had opened his wardrobe to get his suit out (fairly unusual occurrence). When it came time to leave, cat was nowhere to be seen. I was pretty sure he hadn't got out, but there's always the fear. Son was home, so volunteered to do cat duty as we had to go. About 5 hours later, son suddenly had a brainwave, after thinking about all the places the cat could be, and opened the wardrobe. Cat was sleeping happily inside, and strolled out with his usual air of disdain. Boy, was I relieved!

Regarding cats left at home, I've often left our indoor cat for around 8 hours, and once or twice overnight, and he's been absolutely fine. Not sure if I'd let him roam the house, as I have had a cat who ripped up carpets, so I usually lock him in the kitchen, which is quite a large room and he's used to it. My daughter and my niece both have indoor cats and work, and their cats seem to be fine about it too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a pet pushchair for my two as koppa won't walk on a lead cats really need a harness not a lead and collar if you google houndabout that's my pet pushchair hot things are fine yes they probably will jump on desks and worksurfaces I only really know ragdolls don't suffer being apart from human contact as they are known for being more dog like than cats wherever we are the cats are they are very reliant on human company whereas my first cat was a pet shop moggy and quite happily stayed home whilst I worked long shifts
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    Ours got lost in the wardrobe! OH and I were going away for the night, and OH had opened his wardrobe to get his suit out (fairly unusual occurrence). When it came time to leave, cat was nowhere to be seen. I was pretty sure he hadn't got out, but there's always the fear. Son was home, so volunteered to do cat duty as we had to go. About 5 hours later, son suddenly had a brainwave, after thinking about all the places the cat could be, and opened the wardrobe. Cat was sleeping happily inside, and strolled out with his usual air of disdain. Boy, was I relieved!

Regarding cats left at home, I've often left our indoor cat for around 8 hours, and once or twice overnight, and he's been absolutely fine. Not sure if I'd let him roam the house, as I have had a cat who ripped up carpets, so I usually lock him in the kitchen, which is quite a large room and he's used to it. My daughter and my niece both have indoor cats and work, and their cats seem to be fine about it too.

so would you (and others) recommend that I confine the cats to a certain area of the apartment when we're not around? It's a duplex and very open plan downstairs. I don't suppose a stair guard would be any use as it would just jump over!

I'll have a think about this as I wouldn't want to just confine it/them to one bedroom or something while we're out. Hmmm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a pet pushchair for my two as koppa won't walk on a lead cats really need a harness not a lead and collar if you google houndabout that's my pet pushchair hot things are fine yes they probably will jump on desks and worksurfaces I only really know ragdolls don't suffer being apart from human contact as they are known for being more dog like than cats wherever we are the cats are they are very reliant on human company whereas my first cat was a pet shop moggy and quite happily stayed home whilst I worked long shifts

sorry sally, this post is unclear. Ragdolls Do or DO NOT suffer being away from humans?

I thought they were a breed that struggled without attention?

Can you use your cat pushchair on e.g. the subway and other trains?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry no they do need human company more than most i dont know about subway or trains as we use it in the car
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sorry no they do need human company more than most i dont know about subway or trains as we use it in the car

does it transport one cat or two? I would need a twin one as I have decided if I go ahead it would be cruel to leave one alone.

Can indoor cats get illnesses more easily if taken outside in a pushchair or similar if they aren't used to it?

If anyone else can give me tips about transporting cats on public transport in a pram/pushchair contraption that would be great as we don't have a car here and vet trips and trips out of town sometimes are inevitable.