Options

Anti-Romanian propoganda in Britain

124»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Pity Kriss Donald isn't alive to give his point of view.

The south side of Glasgow is a dump. Where are these interesting shops and businesses you speak of?

It isn't a great mix of ethnic minorities either. Pakistani Muslims dominate, hence the shabby, litter-strewn and downmarket feel of an area that was once wealthy and vibrant.

OMFG!!! You being serious?:eek:
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    mrcynical wrote: »
    What have the Romanians ever done for us?

Romanes eunt domus.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The south side of Glasgow is a dump. Where are these interesting shops and businesses you speak of?

It isn't a great mix of ethnic minorities either. Pakistani Muslims dominate, hence the shabby, litter-strewn and downmarket feel of an area that was once wealthy and vibrant.

Kriss Donald's parents are though, and they have spoken out against those who try to exploit their son's death to fuel racism and promote hatred & division:

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/4846078/-Family-of-Kriss-Donald-blasts-fascist-tribute-to-murdered-lad.html

I'd like to think people would respect their wishes.
  • Options
    mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jaceylacey wrote: »
    Very true and it will only get much worse when the Romanian gypsies arrive in their droves.
    There are already 500,000 in Britain already
  • Options
    IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    Caldari wrote: »
    Romanes eunt domus.

Brilliant ! :D

People called the Romanians, they go the house!
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mackara wrote: »
    There are already 500,000 in Britain already

They aren't romanian btw, they are mainly British.

I think we all know its the Roma that people don't want to come over. No wonder, they are Europe's most maligned minority and pretty poor in wealth and education.
    I wouldn't blame them for wanting to come either, I wouldn't want to live as they do there. Not with the rise of the right wing now, things like 'sterilisation' and 'ghetto' are getting kicked around.

All this 'debate' has created further animosity towards the Roma in their own county; other Romanians are blaming them for tarnishing their country's image and stopping them from being allowed to come here themselves.
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    probs why they are turfing us out of our homes we have lived in all our lives to give more space for all them to come over. I think they government is to blame all the time.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Romulans are well known for their cunning.
    Kirk never trusted them.
  • Options
    asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    there's quite an unpleasant warning i've been sent on facebook about a romanian gypsy in the local park trying to talk to children. it's inciting racial hatred and people should not forward such nonsense cos that's all it is nonsense, scaremongering and it's out of order.
  • Options
    rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrcynical wrote: »
    What have the Romanians ever done for us?

They liven our streets up with their accordion playing
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seaborn wrote: »
    Tell me more, Detective Inspector. Preferably with sources and evidence relating to every single Romanian immigrant.

The bit in bold is ridiculous, but I remember a BBC documentary on organised Romanian crime bosses, (shown last year I think,) who employed gangs of women with children to go begging in all weathers on the streets of London.

They were filmed doing this, harassing passers by, pub-goers, and Muslims leaving their local mosque - the women and children all wore headscarves, but when they had finished their day's begging, they would meet up with other groups of women and remove them before returning to their homes in the suburbs. The poor children looked dead on their feet.

The documentary then went on to show where the crime lords lived in Romania, in some of the largest, richest and tasteless houses you could ever wish to see.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seaborn wrote: »
    What you mean to say is, it followed SOME Romanians around London. Not all, because that would be silly and not all Romanians live in London.

What you're pointing to is a case of an organised crime gang made up primarily of a particular nationality. I assure you, this phenomenon is not exclusive to Romanians. Unless you think there are no crime gangs made up of only British people?

Probably SO obvious he (and indeed I) didn't feel the need to labour the point.

Re. your last point - Are we discussing British crime gangs?
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rick182 wrote: »
    Theres's ones with babies in our city...
    Some scumbag came up with the idea of sterilisation to put an end to this business of 'the wrong type' of people having children. Now let's see......what was his name?

Oh yes......Hitler.
  • Options
    mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    They aren't romanian btw, they are mainly British.

I think we all know its the Roma that people don't want to come over. No wonder, they are Europe's most maligned minority and pretty poor in wealth and education.
    I wouldn't blame them for wanting to come either, I wouldn't want to live as they do there. Not with the rise of the right wing now, things like 'sterilisation' and 'ghetto' are getting kicked around.

All this 'debate' has created further animosity towards the Roma in their own county; other Romanians are blaming them for tarnishing their country's image and stopping them from being allowed to come here themselves.
    I am not disagreeing with you but am pointing out the fact that the Roma have been here since the 17th century as they have been in all parts of Europe, The Pavee have also been around for a slightly shorter time but are more hated than the Chavi ( Roma), people do not like change and who can blame them, they prefer their own home grown criminals to commit the crimes.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Some scumbag came up with the idea of sterilisation to put an end to this business of 'the wrong type' of people having children. Now let's see......what was his name?

Oh yes......Hitler.

If in doubt bring Hitler out, pathetic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think another poster dealt with your Kriss Donald exploitation quite well. Pointing to a murder committed by an ethnic minority to back up negative opinions of that minority group doesn't hold water. An older white male who lived not far from me killed his wife, but I wouldn't use this as an indicator of older white males in general.
    sutie wrote: »
    The bit in bold is ridiculous, but I remember a BBC documentary on organised Romanian crime bosses, (shown last year I think,) who employed gangs of women with children to go begging in all weathers on the streets of London.

They were filmed doing this, harassing passers by, pub-goers, and Muslims leaving their local mosque - the women and children all wore headscarves, but when they had finished their day's begging, they would meet up with other groups of women and remove them before returning to their homes in the suburbs. The poor children looked dead on their feet.

The documentary then went on to show where the crime lords lived in Romania, in some of the largest, richest and tasteless houses you could ever wish to see.

The bit in bold points out the utter ridiculousness of racial stereotypes. Just saying "Romanians are criminals" is, well, blatantly racist. The devil is in the details, and one documentary following one gang in one city doesn't reflect the entire community.

sutie wrote: »
    Probably SO obvious he (and indeed I) didn't feel the need to labour the point.

Re. your last point - Are we discussing British crime gangs?

You both did, actually. Like I said above, specificity is key, otherwise you're just being racist. The " Well obviously I didn't mean all Romanians/black people/gay people/women, just the bad ones" line is a pretty feeble back peddle.

And my point about British crime gangs was that you can no more point to a British crime gang as being reflective of greater British society than you can point to Romanian crime gangs as being accurately reflective of all Romanians, which the previous poster and yourself seem hell bent on doing.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    mal2pool wrote: »
    probs why they are turfing us out of our homes we have lived in all our lives to give more space for all them to come over. I think they government is to blame all the time.
    Who has been turfed out?

Have you been turfed out?

Were these evictions legal?

How many were turfed out?

Where are they now?
  • Options
    geosgeos Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I live in the Southside too, and sadly I have to agree with this quote. Ive had nothing but trouble from them unfortunately. Ive been trying to sell my house for years, but the value has plummeted, nobody wants to buy or rent a house in the south side.

The place is now dominated by Eastern Europeans, and its a complete dump, the area is now rife with thieving amongst other things, and more often than not single bedroom flats are packed with 6 or more people living in them.

Im all for people who genuinely wanting to come here and better their lives, input to the community, but the majority of immigrants in the Southside are nothing but scum who are more than happy to scrounge off benefits and make life a complete misery for people.

There is litter and trash everywhere, beggers are common place, pick pocketing is rife and sadly they just ruin the flats and tenement buildings they live in with constant noise, bin bags lying everywhere etc

The council dont care, they just send more this way and the place continues to get worse and worse. Its a very sensitive and heated topic in the community.

Yes immigrants in any country can be a great thing, but when it goes wrong like it has done in the Southside of Glasgow, it can turn a place upside down.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    It's gross I've seen it too. They have pretty much been forced into that life, not that it excuses criminality, but they are segregated, starting with schools and then they are locked into a cycle of marginalization and poverty.
    I'm biased, obviously. I'm not saying "throw open the doors" but a little bit of understanding wouldn't go amiss. Segregation shouldn't happen in the 21st century and by drawing a line ourselves around Roma we contribute to it.
    France have done it too by the way, banning and segregating because of ethnicity.

The case is exactly the same in the Czech Republic too. Roma people are essentially ghettoised, being kept as separate from other people as possible. In fact, when I visited the Czech Republic last year, some of the people who I stayed with took a trip up to one of the little villages where the segregated Roma people live. It was an absolute hell-hole, there was litter and human waste everywhere and the people were essentially living in makeshift huts. Some of the group who went there were reduced to tears just seeing it.

There's also an interesting thing about how the education system there treats Roma children. If a Roma family (somehow) manage to integrate into Czech society, it will usually be the case that their children will be automatically be deemed to be of an inferior intelligence. Therefore they'll be put in the lowest sets in classes and will lack the educational opportunities of their Czech counterparts. It's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy I suppose. Indeed, if you ask pretty much any Czech person what they think of Roma people, words like 'hate', 'lazy' and 'scum' will come up very frequently. Someone made an interesting point earlier about how the right-wing tend to blame minorities for all of society's ills. I'm not sure if that's always the case, but it certainly is in the Czech Republic. It really had a profound effect on me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    geos wrote: »
    I live in the Southside too, and sadly I have to agree with this quote. Ive had nothing but trouble from them unfortunately. Ive been trying to sell my house for years, but the value has plummeted, nobody wants to buy or rent a house in the south side.

The place is now dominated by Eastern Europeans, and its a complete dump, the area is now rife with thieving amongst other things, and more often than not single bedroom flats are packed with 6 or more people living in them.

Im all for people who genuinely wanting to come here and better their lives, input to the community, but the majority of immigrants in the Southside are nothing but scum who are more than happy to scrounge off benefits and make life a complete misery for people.

There is litter and trash everywhere, beggers are common place, pick pocketing is rife and sadly they just ruin the flats and tenement buildings they live in with constant noise, bin bags lying everywhere etc

The council dont care, they just send more this way and the place continues to get worse and worse. Its a very sensitive and heated topic in the community.

Yes immigrants in any country can be a great thing, but when it goes wrong like it has done in the Southside of Glasgow, it can turn a place upside down.

Interesting that our experiences of the Southside are so different. I really like the area I live in, and was more than happy to buy my house. A study a few months ago showed that Shawlands is actually the place were young professionals in Glasgow are settling down more. I think your trouble selling your house is probably more to do with the general housing market being shoddy. Hope you have some success though. I see you're from Greenock, I'm from Port Glasgow myself. Inverclyde solidarity ;)