Doctor Who - Your first stories.

JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just wondered hat people's 1st stories were.

1) The first Doctor Who story you ever saw?
2) The first story you owned on video?
3) The first story you owned on DVD?
4) The oldest story you have owned in any format?

for me.

1) The first story I can remember watching is Genesis of the Daleks. Davros is the first distinctive character or image I can remember. The first distinctive scene I can remember is Sarah's leaving scene in The Hand of Fear but I probably didn't become a regular viewer, (where I made sure I never missed an episode) until Castrovalva or the Five Faces of Doctor Who a couple of months earlier.

2) The first videos I bought were Death to the Daleks and The Seeds of Death. Bought together, I watched Death to the Daleks first but preferred Seeds of Death. I had hired some others, Revenge of the Cybermen, Brain of Morbius, Pyramids of Mars from the video shop.

3) The first DVD was the Five Doctors, the first story released.

4) I have owned (well in a recorded from the tv fashion) The Keeper of Traken the longest. Recorded on the repeat showing a year after original transmission. Would have been Full Circle which was on the the week before but I missed episode 3 and could also have been Destiny of the Daleks that I recorded a year earlier but with blank tapes being a premium I ended up recording over it.

I can certainly recall my first twelve stories. 1) The Keeper of Traken, 2) An Unearthly Child, 3) The Krotons, 4) Carnival of Monsters, 5) The Three Doctors, 6) Logopolis, 7) K9 and Comoany, 8) Castorvalva, 9) The Visitation 10) Earthsock, 11) Curse of Peladon, 12) Genesis of the Daleks (edited version)

With blank tapes costing so much I didn't get to keep everything in the early days.

Sorry if this bores everyone but I'd be interested in everyone else's first stories. It appeals to the anorak in me. :)

Comments

• CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

1) Terror of the Autons

Though I'm not sure if I saw all of it. My viewing of Season 8 seems to be a bit spotty. I recall watching at least some of Autons and Claws of Axos plus all of The Daemons but the other two stories not so much. I don't think I saw much if any of The Mind of Evil and I still haven't got round to doing so (the only Pertwee story I've never seen in full) and while I may have caught a bit of Colony in Space it wasn't till I read the Target novelization that I got the full story.

2) Planet of the Daleks/ Revelation of the Daleks.

Got given a Boxset of the above two Dalek stories for a birthday. Looking it up this Boxset came out in 1999 (thought it was a bit earlier than that).

3)Genesis of the Daleks
    Not totally sure on this one. Tend to buy the DVDs in groups when the price drops a bit, Genesis was likely to have been one of the first I bought though.

4)Doctor Who and the Doomsday Weapon.
    First Target Novelization I owned and as said above how I initially got to read the whole story of Colony in Space. Not sure if I still have it to be honest, it could be packed away in a box somewhere but may have been given away at some point.

If we're not including books then it was probably the TVM which I taped off the TV in 1996.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. Robot. In black and white!
    2. Had hired Revenge of the Cybermen a few times because the videos were well out of my price range back then, but got Pyramids of Mars as a present and watched the heck out of it. Still love it. My first non fuzzy, if you get my drift, Who video.
    3. Had a lot on video and was late getting into DVDs, but pretty sure it was Carnival of Monsters.
    4. Yep, blank videos weren't cheap so used to record over stories as I went along. But couldn't bring myself to record over Enlightenment because I loved that story so much, so that's the earliest story I kept. The tape is still around somewhere. It had Fall Out, the last Prisoner episode after it!

My first, um, naughty video had a barely watchable Deadly Assassin and a rather fuzzy Warrior's Gate that I got from someone who shall remain nameless cos they were charging money. Tut tut! Still, loooong time ago.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

1) Either Horror of Fang Rock or Androids of Tara. If it was Fang Rock it probably would have been a repeat.

2) Again not sure on this one.... either Ambassadors of Death or Castrovalva

3) Ark In Space which was also one of the first two DVDs I ever owned (the other was Series 2 of Spaced)

4) Same as question 2
  • brotonsbabybrotonsbaby Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

1) An Unearthly Child
    2) Death to the Daleks
    3) The Five Doctors SE
    4) Doctor Who in an exciting adventure with the Daleks (novelization)
  • Xmas_TrenzaloreXmas_Trenzalore Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1) Dalek
    2) None
    3) Series 1
    4) Series 1

Not all that interesting :(
    I do have one of those massive TARDIS shaped editions of Series 1.
    It's bizarre comparing it to the Series 8 boxset.

Now they got it in flat-pack.
  • JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great Answers.

Must admit I hadn't consider the novelizations for the final answer.
    Doctor Who in an exciting adventure with the Daleks might have been the first but I'm not sure. It's part of a small group I can remember reading with I was very young.

The Cybermen, The Auton Invasion, The Doomsday Weapon and Genesis of the Daleks being the other very early ones for me.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1) An Unearthly Child
    2) Death to the Daleks
    3) The Five Doctors SE

Picked that up in a jumble sale in the early eighties. :) Very good book by the great David Whitaker. Although had seen An Unearthly Child in the 1981 repeat and knew it wasn't a 'straight' adaption of the TV serials. Could've been a cheap cash-in, but they were a classy lot right from the start.
  • Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New Earth was the first ever Who story I watched and the first part of series 2 was the first DVD I ever owned as well.

I had to go back and watch series 1 when it was on BBC 3 either midway through Series 2 or after it had finished (and I remember being gutted Ecclestone regenerated even though obviously I must've known it was going to happen).
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1) An Unearthly Child
    2) Death to the Daleks
    3) The Five Doctors SE

1. Ditto
    2. An Unearhly Child
    3. The Five Doctors (not SE) :)
    4. Ditto

Hello, almost twin!::D
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. The daemons.
    2. Day of the daleks.
    3. The five doctors.
    4.Doctor who and the daleks novelisation.
  • THE ROTCODTHE ROTCOD Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    earthshock
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First story I ever watched - Invasion Of The Dinosaurs. Like many small boys I had a big interest in Dinosaurs and my Grandma told me that there was going to be a show with dinosaurs in.
    So I watched, wasn't terribly convinced by the puppet show, but was hooked by the story. And at the end of part six the announcer must've said something like "Next week, the Doctor meets his old enemies the Daleks" - now even though I'd not seen Doctor Who before, everyone had heard of the Daleks, so I watched again, and was absolutely hooked for good.

Can't remember what the first Who video or DVD was that I ever owned, but I do remember that my first Target novelisation was Doctor Who And The Giant Robot. And I soon bought up as many as I could. In 1975 there weren't that many to choose from and there were very few from the first two Doctors, but I especially loved The Abominable Snowmen and The Cybermen, as I knew nothing about Troughton, and the three Hartnell books became great favourites too, partly because they seemed so very different from Tom's portrayal on screen at the time. To this day I can still remember great chunks of The Crusaders, which is arguably one of the best written novelisations of them all.
  • gingerfreakgingerfreak Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My first non fuzzy, if you get my drift

Ha ha! Certainly do! Still got shedloads, although I've nothing to watch them on and the tapes have probably fused by now. I remember reading that the BBC didn't have a complete colour version of The Daemons, and looking out of the corner of my eye at my colour-Daemons tape and thinking 'well someone has the first generation copy of that'.

1. First I saw: Pyramids Of Mars, vaguely
    2. First bought on video: Pyramids Of Mars
    3. First bought on DVD: New Beginnings boxset
    4. Oldest owned in any format: Probably The Daemons novelisation with that brilliant Chris Achilleos cover - signed to me by Mr. Jon Pertwee
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/episodeguide/index_first.shtml
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/episodeguide/pilotepisode/detail.shtml
    An Unearthly Child

The Day of the Doctor

Doctor Who and the Daleks (Paperback)
  • gingerfreakgingerfreak Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    To this day I can still remember great chunks of The Crusaders, which is arguably one of the best written novelisations of them all.

Brilliant, isn't it? David Whitaker at his best.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. The Curse of Peladon
    2. Revenge of the Cybermen (really expensive and disappointed it wasn't in episodic format)
    3. The Invasion
    4. Doctor Who and the Daleks (Target novel)
  • JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    1. The Curse of Peladon
    2. Revenge of the Cybermen (really expensive and disappointed it wasn't in episodic format)
    3. The Invasion
    4. Doctor Who and the Daleks (Target novel)

Seems a recurring theme.
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    1 - Caves Of Androzani
    2/3 - I prefer books to the dvd or vas version of the series
    4 - Doctor who and the daleks was the first book from a carboot so I made it a mission to get more as I loved Doctor Who
  • mccolloughmccollough Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    1) The first Doctor Who story you ever saw? Rose. I joined the series with the Relaunch.
    2) The first story you owned on video? Never have!
    3) The first story you owned on DVD? The Five Doctors and Doctor Who (1996) I bought on the same day. Wanted to learn about classic Who, thought these two would be a good start.
    4) The oldest story you have owned in any format? That would be the five doctor's again. Shocking... I know!
  • comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jethryk wrote: »
    Just wondered hat people's 1st stories were.

1) I think it was Keeper Of Traken (certainly the one I remember)
    2) Actually can't remember - does The 5 Doctors taped off the telly count?
    3) The 5 Doctors
    4) Doctor Who annual (the first one off ebay) although I also have ...exciting adventure with the Daleks in the post!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) The first Doctor Who story you ever saw? My earliest memory is Tom Baker regenerating into Peter Davison. So unless I watched a lot of he show and was too young to remember it was Logopolis.

2) The first story you owned on video? Original version of The Five Doctors

3) The first story you owned on DVD? I bought Tomb Of The Cybermen and The Talons Of Weng-Chiang at the same time. I can't remember which of the two I picked first

4) The oldest story you have owned in any format? The pilot episode available on The Beginnings boxed set.
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    I used to think my earliest memory was the Giant Queen Spider but when watching Invasion of The Dinosaurs on DVD I had an almighty mother of a flashback. (I had not seen or remembered anything about the story since it's first broadcast)
    Capt Mike Yates turning traitor.:o Baring in mind my TV diet was early 70's pre school programming so at the innocent age of five I found this far more scary than any of the monsters. It was probably my first TV encounter of an established good guy turning 'bad'

First DVD was Genesis of the Daleks and The Leisure Hive.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1) can't remember but it may have been Deadly Assasain or Weng Chiang.
    2)The Deadly Assasain.
    3)The Caves of Androzani
    4)Genesis of the Daleks tape version from the 70's
  • PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First episode was Rose.

I had seen bits of Doctor Who before that when they had repeats on gold but this was the first time I sat down to watch a full Doctor Who episode.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/episodeguide/index_first.shtml
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/episodeguide/pilotepisode/detail.shtml
    An Unearthly Child

The Day of the Doctor

Doctor Who and the Daleks (Paperback)

Am feeling old.;-)