Musings on a Sunday evening

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1st February

"We're missing live darts for this, you know."
    Mrs JfW. She loves her arrers but I manage to calm her down with a can of Stella and a Capstan Full Strength. But another world of glamour beckons and, sporting a shiny suit and an impressive decolletage, the used-car salesman and the Donald Duck impersonator get us underway. (I have been instructed to inform you that only some of the above is true - and I'm typing this with my one good hand).

Well, if decolletage is your thing, this is the place to be and doesn't the wardrobe department know it? Melinda and Fred are doing the Macarena but it's a fairly uninspired routine that is rather dominated by her cucarachas. It's not often you get to use the word 'flat' when describing Melinda but 16.5 points isn't going to set anyone's pulse racing. Apparently there was a failed lift. What, you mean there were two people out there?

Was that a mistake I just witnessed? From Ray? Yep, he started with a moonwalk, continued with an earthtrip, recovered his line and did well to finish in style by lifting Maria on to his shoulder and dropping her almost to the ice. (The 'almost' is very important). It's classy stuff but already the Panellistas want more. In three weeks they've gone from 'how can he be this good?' to 'been there, done that'. They served up 24 points but Nicky wants to see him 'step it up a gear' and Jason was 'unconvinced' and thought it was 'too polite.' No, I don't know what he means either.

In an effort to conquer her nerves, Zoe paid a visit to a hypnotherapist this week. Not taking it too seriously, then. If I had reservations, all is forgiven when she steps out with Matt. Now that's what I call one-third of a dress and it's enough to distract from her Elvis quiff. Mr Mephisto's magic worked a treat because she threw herself into it and showed no sign of nerves but Ruthie was right when she called her 'stiff'. She still pocketed 20 points and she's right up there with Jessie and the nipper.

Next up it's Frankie and her puppy. Ellery has been dropping her all week and she's worried about the big lift. Her confidence can't have improved when he starts on his knees and still falls over but, once again, he proves to be the man for the big occasion and the lift is glorious. For my money the rest of it was pretty good too and the crowd were right to boo a meagre 16. Ruthie's 2.5 was just mean. 'I want to see more of who you are' she said. I'll tell you who he is Ruthie; he's the bloke who just lifted a girl ten feet into the air on national telly while wearing ice skates.

Coleen and Stuart skate to the novelty of an old Nolan song. She looks great (I hope I look like her when I reach my forties) but the whole thing's a bit pedestrian and warranted the 16 that it got. Karen applauded her 'massive achievement' but that was a benevolent concession to her age and decrepitude. She's only 43 for crying out loud - if she gets through to props week they'll probably give her a Zimmer. She's lovely and funny and sexy but that was middling at best.

There's plenty of excitement from Donal and Florentine with a pin-striped zoot and a Blues Brothers song. The whole thing is really fast, there's lots of content and, ok, he fell over, but he got up quick, found his place and nailed the rest of it including two lifts and a 'backward spiral into a teapot' - and that last one's not easy. Nicky's 4.5 was closer to the truth than the aggregate 5 he picked up from Mr Meany and his girlfriend. In all he collected 16 points - the same as Coleen. The crowd started booing again but a quick pan across the auditorium suggested it could have been a response to the buffet closing.

Smiles have been a little strained for Michael and Melanie this week after Mel clattered into the ice in rehearsal. They did well not to let it show and did quite a punchy little routine. 18.5 points was generous though and Karen and Robin were non-committal and certainly not excited. Despite the smiles they're not exactly rocking the boat.

Roxanne and Daniel are next and, having struggled to keep her legs together all week, the pocket rocket's looking pretty good. She's still not the most elegant on the move but she does some fancy skating on her own, throws in an aeroplane lift and ties it all together with some ugly transitions and lumpy landings. There are signs that she's getting there but 17 was a little underwhelming. Nicky spotted the improvement and marked it accordingly. Jason has a penchant for the negative and every now and then he blunders into accuracy: he did so here by pointing out her lack of smoothness but, just for once, wouldn't it be nice if he said something, well, nice?

Oh hell, here we go. Todd and Susie. Even Christopher Dean's given up, concentrating on his character acting in place of his skating. Hmmm. Perhaps next year we could have a monkey. He scrambles onto the ice, performs a routine with absolutely no content, wobbles through his 'signature move' and finishes by demonstrating that he can't even skate on his back. It's not easy viewing so I close my eyes and cover my face with a cushion - then I grab another one in case the first one slips. 7.5 points again and I have no idea where 5 of those came from. Still, this'll be the last time, won't it?

Jessica and Pavel come out and perform in a different competition altogether. She hasn't got the best arms but she's capable of going fast, doing lifts and, well, skating. She did the best spiral of the night and looks comfortable in the top three. 21.5 points (with a 5 from Nicky) was a bit light. With 3.5 Ruthie thought it was the same standard as Melinda and Coleen. Oh puleeeese.

It's deja-vu all over again in the results show. There's a whoopin' and a hollerin' as Todd backs into next week and leaves Melinda and Michael to battle it out. In the first split decision, Michael picks up the first two votes but Melinda gets the next three. Michael and Melanie have to leave but next week we'll get to see some bad skating. My, how we'll laugh.
  • StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you, JfW, your Sunday Musings have just brightened up my Monday evening again:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    1st February

"
    Coleen and Stuart skate to the novelty of an old Nolan song. She looks great (I hope I look like her when I reach my forties) but the whole thing's a bit pedestrian and warranted the 16 that it got. Karen applauded her 'massive achievement' but that was a benevolent concession to her age and decrepitude. She's only 43 for crying out loud - if she gets through to props week they'll probably give her a Zimmer. She's lovely and funny and sexy but that was middling at best.

:D:D Absolutely brilliant JFW - that bold bit had me screeching out loud. Another masterpiece - thank you for cheering up a snowy cold evening :D:D
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fab JfW - just right for the end of a long Monday - thank you!:D
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks JfW, absolute class! <smooch> xxx

(don't tell Mrs JfW :o)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonderful as always, JfW. I salute you. I also waft you - on my way to do just that now....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Johnster - I don't know how you manage to keep your blogs fresh, entertaining and amusing week after week, but you do!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sid_1979 wrote: »
    Johnster - I don't know how you manage to keep your blogs fresh, entertaining and amusing week after week, but you do!

I agree - brilliant as usual JFW:D

Hi Sid - have seen you over on SCD thread and the Beebs boards?x
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree - brilliant as usual JFW:D

Hi Sid - have seen you over on SCD thread and the Beebs boards?x

If you're suggesting I get around - you'd be right ;)

Hello Lizzy <smooch> :)

Who were you supporting on SCD and who are you championing on DOI?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're suggesting I get around - you'd be right ;)

Hello Lizzy <smooch> :)

Who were you supporting on SCD and who are you championing on DOI?

As if I would suggest such a thing!! ;)
    Well - Austin was my favourite on Strictly, although when he went I wasn't disappointed that Tom won! I can't get into DOI as much as SCD but I like Donal but think Ray or Jessica will probably win.
    I love JFW musings though.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As if I would suggest such a thing!! ;)
    Well - Austin was my favourite on Strictly, although when he went I wasn't disappointed that Tom won! I can't get into DOI as much as SCD but I like Donal but think Ray or Jessica will probably win.
    I love JFW musings though.:)

Austin bowed out far too early!

DOI is not compulsive viewing like SCD, you're right. But I'm getting into it more as the weeks progress - Donal is my favourite and I'd love to see him upset the odds!

Johnster is a very talented writer indeed. And between you and me, I reckon he's a bit of a hottie too ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Austin bowed out far too early!

DOI is not compulsive viewing like SCD, you're right. But I'm getting into it more as the weeks progress - Donal is my favourite and I'd love to see him upset the odds!

Johnster is a very talented writer indeed. And between you and me, I reckon he's a bit of a hottie too ;)

I think you may be right about that! See you on here again soon? Am off to bed now - have been on here and chatting to my daughter on another well known site for far too long! :yawn:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you may be right about that! See you on here again soon? Am off to bed now - have been on here and chatting to my daughter on another well known site for far too long! :yawn:

Yes I better think about turning in soon as well.

Sweet dreams Lizzie (and hands off Johnster - he's mine!!) :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck to you Sid and Lizzie - anyone willing to take on the deeply formidable-sounding Mrs JfW to give John a <smooch> has my support! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Wow JFW I love your summary.

You make a fellow Taff proud. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JFW, just going to find my wand and send a waft to you and Mrs JFW.

Just caught up with two saturday musings, and they were well worth waiting for.

Fliss
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Am I the only person who thought her outfit did her no favours, with visible bulges where her underwear stopped? :eek:
  • ShuttermazeShuttermaze Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    Brilliant as ever JFW. You say what 99.9% of us are thinking I reckon! Looking forward to next weeks musings. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    History, my dear JfW, is written by the winners - and in this day and age, that's the people that others choose to read.

As an Oxford-educated historian myself, I'd say that if it was a toss-up between a written transcript of the actual show (with T&D's ejaculations of 'great' and 'excellent' to describe Ray, Todd and everything in between) and your own well-constructed and informative prose, I would find the latter far more informative about what really happened at the time. :D:D:D

Lorelei, what a lovely thing to say. Thank you.

Please bear with me this week; personal committments mean that I may not be able to post until Tuesday.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member

Please bear with me this week; personal committments mean that I may not be able to post until Tuesday.
    Will look forward it. :)
    Most informative thread I've read.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As always JFW, it will be worth waiting for. Thank you in anticipation :D
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't know how we'll cope without our Monday fix :D
  • Philly1234Philly1234 Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I knew my Monday was missing something! No musings!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Philly that is evil! :eek:

I saw 'musings' at the top of the page and thought JfW had managed to post -

and then he hasn't...:cry::cry:
  • Philly1234Philly1234 Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I was just scratching an itch : )