winphone 8 share still shrinking

2»

Comments

• Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    i had a play with one, i can't remember the model number and yes it is pretty fast, but then it should be with the CPU under it have got.

the camera on my Huawei is not too bad for a budget phone, don't work too bad in low light. not that I use the camera for much. Just a shame about the rest of the phone.

i still have no idea what I am going to do. I think the best thing to do is to go for a sim only contract and then decide after that. But even then I am not sure if I want to stay with Vodafone or not. i got another couple of months will just over before my contract comes to the end, in upgrade period at the moment and Vodafone loves letting me know. :)

In one way I be happy with a normal phone, but I have got used to using a smart phone for certain things, so i may miss it if i have not got one.

i don't know, I really don't

I'm definitely feeling better having gone SIM only, nowhere near the same sort of ties.

The interface speed of WP8 is (apparently) down to the amount of time MS have spent working on the interface, rather than just the processor. Even the lower end devices running on relatively meagre specs tend to work rather well.

With cameras, while I may go on at nauseum about them, I always wanted one that could replace my dedicated camera - and took good shots under most circumstances. The 920 is a clever solution, shame it doesn't actually work that well in real life. The 808 is the definitive pocketable camera, just happens that it can also work as a phone.

Personally don't like WP, and think that MS stance in trying to push their whole product line to the Metro/WP interface is a huge mistake. Windows 8 at work .... thank the lord I'm working at a corporate that won't force such an abortion on us poor workers ....
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    Agreed; can't understand the bloggers and "reporters" who claim that 3 major players is all that the market can sustain. Choice has to be good for the consumer, and competition can help improve the other products.

For the moment I'm holding out - due an upgrade, nothing on Android is tempting, the 920 holds no appeal (have the 808, camera is leagues ahead of the 920 which doesn't even approach my 2 year old N8). The BB is tempting, but I'll wait until OS10 appears on my Playbook.

So SIM only tariff time and start saving some money!

I can't understand it either, that's at least one more than I think will thrive! Others will exist, but only two will dominate.
  • Options
    BrianWescombeBrianWescombe Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting report here, and some good points mentioned by someone called 'euskalzabe' (in the comments section)

http://winsupersite.com/windows-phone/windows-phone-usage-february-2013
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    I'm definitely feeling better having gone SIM only, nowhere near the same sort of ties.

yeah, I am certainly going down that route, I did look at going back to PAYG, but not really value for money unless you only use your phone a couple of times a month.

Not sure what Tariff I will go for or even if i will stay with Vodafone, so I will wait until my contract comes to the end i think.

The interface speed of WP8 is (apparently) down to the amount of time MS have spent working on the interface, rather than just the processor. Even the lower end devices running on relatively meagre specs tend to work rather well.

I thought all WP8 had a minimum spec, such as the Snapdragon S4 dual core? so that should make it pretty snappy as well unless the OS was bloated.
    With cameras, while I may go on at nauseum about them, I always wanted one that could replace my dedicated camera - and took good shots under most circumstances. The 920 is a clever solution, shame it doesn't actually work that well in real life. The 808 is the definitive pocketable camera, just happens that it can also work as a phone.

I have never really seen a great picture from a mobile phone they have been ok and video on them is normally awful

I prefer to sue a stand alone camera, but one on the phone is useful if you don't want to carry a camera everywhere.

Personally don't like WP, and think that MS stance in trying to push their whole product line to the Metro/WP interface is a huge mistake. Windows 8 at work .... thank the lord I'm working at a corporate that won't force such an abortion on us poor workers ....

I agree.

I have got Windows 8 on this machine, but I don't use the metro UI. I am sure that WP8 is a good phone if you don't mind the rigid way it works, but i don't think i would want one.

I was looking at a HTC Desire X on Amazon, sim free, just over £200. I like HTC phones, ok i liked my widlfire. the problem is the price is not much less than the Nexus 4. The problem i have with the Nexus is the lack of Sd card slot and the fact that the battery is sealed in.

i will make up my mind at some point, I will have to soon or go back to my old phone as my phone is starting to get on my nerves.
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wanted something different. Get sick of seeing windows all the time & I don't even like Win 8 on a pc so if it's like that on a phone then I'm not interested.
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I have never really seen a great picture from a mobile phone they have been ok and video on them is normally awful

I prefer to sue a stand alone camera, but one on the phone is useful if you don't want to carry a camera everywhere.

The 808 is the only mobile that can replace a dedicated camera - the images (in 8 & 5 mp) modes are beyond anything possible in a regular compact camera. It really is very, very good.

Video on it is quite good, but the audio it records is amazing - better than most camcorders.
  • Options
    huwdwhuwdw Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had Android phone going back as far as the HTC Hero and have just switched from a One X to a Lumia 920.

WP8 is very good OS and has a lot of potential but there are some really stupid things that have been overlooked that annoy me like not having separate volume levels for system/ring/alarm etc and the app situation is pretty dire.

You know its bad when people get excited about Spotify being released. Its a good app, but how long ago did Android get it...

Microsoft really need to push to bring WP8 up to parity feature wise with Android and iOS.

I have a Nexus 7 for my secondary device so for now I am happy to wait it out with my Lumia 920. It almost feels like the early days of Android again wondering when we are going to get the apps..
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    huwdw wrote: »
    It almost feels like the early days of Android again wondering when we are going to get the apps..

That's because it's exactly the same situation. Only people are not patient with a new OS now, they want everything now. That's one thing that can break WP8's neck. Thus OEMs and OS must bring an USP that make people buy the phones anyway. maybe Nokia's 41 megapixel camera will be such thing.
  • Options
    BrianWescombeBrianWescombe Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    That's because it's exactly the same situation. Only people are not patient with a new OS now, they want everything now. That's one thing that can break WP8's neck. Thus OEMs and OS must bring an USP that make people buy the phones anyway. maybe Nokia's 41 megapixel camera will be such thing.

a 41MP camera is all very well if the phone has decent storage or micro SD slot, or providers are offering good high data usage deals (for cloud uploading/downloading), otherwise lots of pictures will fill the phone rather quickly!
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a 41MP camera is all very well if the phone has decent storage or micro SD slot, or providers are offering good high data usage deals (for cloud uploading/downloading), otherwise lots of pictures will fill the phone rather quickly!

I hope they are aware of all that, it was only a guess on my part what may be found attractive by the buyers.