Twelfth Doctor rumour

Comments

• rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    He's gay? If he becomes the 12th Doctor, then I can see some viewers won't watch it, because they like seeing a lot of chemisty between the Doctor and female companion.

If he's cast as the Doctor, then I will certainly give his first story a go, but I wouldn't hold my hopes up about seeing the rest of the series.

Just imagine, Clara with a gay Doctor. I wonder how that would work?

I see your post and raise you Neil Patrick Harris as Barney Stinson in How I Met Your Mother, openly gay actor playing an unrelenting womaniser. It doesn't matter what team they bat for in real life as long as they can act. :p
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see your post and raise you Neil Patrick Harris as Barney Stinson in How I Met Your Mother, openly gay actor playing an unrelenting womaniser. It doesn't matter what team they bat for in real life as long as they can act. :p

Precisely.

Saying a gay actor cannot accurately portray a straight character and vice versa is as ridiculous as saying an actor who isn't a mass murderer cannot portray a Mafiosi, a serial killer, Hitler or Stalin.

Anyway, it's my contention that the Doctor is neither gay nor straight, but non-sexual.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    Interestingly, he's openly gay. This shouldn't, but might, cause waves amongst the more reactionary press, and amongst those here who bleat on about a gay agenda...

Interestingly Ben Daniels already has connections with the Whoniverse. He's in a relationship with Ian Gelder who played Mr Dekker in Torchwood: Children of Earth and when he appeared in Law And Order: UK he was the boss of Alesha Phillips who was played by Freema Agyeman.

Patterson Joseph who was the favourite to become 11 is the new police boss in L&O: UK and Peter Davison is the current boss of the legal side of the show
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who?? :confused::confused: Never heard of him.

I hope it's not true. I'd like someone who has been heard of more, and has done a few TV shows and movies that we've heard of.

Ben Daniels? Nah! I'll believe it, when I see it.

It is only a rumour, after all. As for two specials, at Christmas and New Year? Yes please! :D

Eh? Was Matt Smith a household name or even David Tennant?? I'd never heard of either of them before they were announced. I would say that having an unknown seems to be the preferred option from the threads I have read on the subject. Even so, he is not exactly an unknown, I recognise him from quite a bit of tv and movies! Law and Order UK, Cutting It to name just two high profile dramas!
    He's gay? If he becomes the 12th Doctor, then I can see some viewers won't watch it, because they like seeing a lot of chemisty between the Doctor and female companion.

If he's cast as the Doctor, then I will certainly give his first story a go, but I wouldn't hold my hopes up about seeing the rest of the series.

:eek::eek::eek:

You're not serious surely! His sexuality has nothing to do with his performance! Even CE had a snog with Barrowman ffs!

He is not the best choice for me but that has nothing to do with his sexuality, he's not wierd looking enough!
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    Interestingly Ben Daniels already has connections with the Whoniverse. He's in a relationship with Ian Gelder who played Mr Dekker in Torchwood: Children of Earth and when he appeared in Law And Order: UK he was the boss of Alesha Phillips who was played by Freema Agyeman.

Patterson Joseph who was the favourite to become 11 is the new police boss in L&O: UK and Peter Davison is the current boss of the legal side of the show

To be fair, you could probably play Two Degrees of Doctor Who with anyone in the British TV or film industry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    He was brilliant as finn bevan in cutting it and good in every other role I have seen him in
  • GillrayGillray Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    This might help people to see him as the Doctor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihqKJ02X-Z0
    Remember Paterson Joseph? many thought he would be 11 until the reveal. he was then all forgotten about, I dont think you can listen to rumours because they are almost always wrong, he looks nice enough, he could be the Doctor, but we will just have to wait and see, thats the fun of it.

There was an interview with Patterson Joseph in the Radio Times about a year or so ago, where he admitted there was some truth in this rumour but declined to go any further, as if sworn to secrecy. I imagine it was between him and Smith or something along those lines.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Gillray wrote: »
    This might help people to see him as the Doctor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihqKJ02X-Z0

There was an interview with Patterson Joseph in the Radio Times about a year or so ago, where he admitted there was some truth in this rumour but declined to go any further, as if sworn to secrecy. I imagine it was between him and Smith or something along those lines.

I would still like to see him as 12 or 13 .
  • GillrayGillray Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    I would still like to see him as 12 or 13 .

I did wonder at the time if that was why he was still being so cagey so long after casting of the 11th Doctor.
  • mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Never mind Clara, Jack Harkness would whoop with joy!
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was brilliant as finn bevan in cutting it and good in every other role I have seen him in

Brilliant actor. So I hope it's true.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rooks wrote: »
    Love the title "Twelfth Night", absolutely perfect name for a Christmas regeneration episode (if it happens) :D

I agree. It's a brilliant name. :D
    I'm very dubious of this rumour. I don't know how anyone would know and there's currently no indication that Matt Smith is giving up.
    Anyway, I'll wait and see.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nate1970 wrote: »
    To be honest, I hope that's wrong. He's a decent enough actor, but he's not very Doctor-ish.

How would you quantify Doctor-ish credentials?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    The Christmas episode hasn't even been written yet, never mind given a title.

As for the twelfth doctor rumours, well who knows if they have started screen tests or not. If Matt has decided to depart at Christmas then they will have to do that around now. If he's staying then it's all a load of guff.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gillray wrote: »

Yes, I can see it. He looks like he would be good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the way things are going with Clara, 12 has got to be a celibate gay eunuch with a profound aversion to any form of physical contact
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    how about sean connery
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    seriously lets have paul Mcgann he would be great i love the radio episodes
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im not a huge mr know it all on dr who but i thought he only had 11 lives?
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    after seeing him, he looks far too old to be a doctor
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This rumour comes from Gallifrey Base:

"Ben Daniels (48 year old British actor with a lot of credits to his name) is rumoured to be taking over from Matt Smith during this Christmas Special (apparently titled "Twelfth Night") or the New Year's special that is reportedly taking place too."

Looking up Ben Daniels, it seems like it could be quite credible given his profile and acting skills.

Thoughts?

Surely, according to the recent trend, if and when Matt Smith is replaced, the Casting Director will note the guidance for the casting of "Q" in "Skyfall"... and simply offer the gig to some pre-pubescent, acne faced 15 year old straight from acting school, without any credits to his/her name.
  • mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    after seeing him, he looks far too old to be a doctor

A 48 year old actor is too old to play a 950 year old timelord??? Come off it! Over the past 50 years both older and younger actors have played the Doctor.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DariaM wrote: »
    Surely, according to the recent trend, if and when Matt Smith is replaced, the Casting Director will note the guidance for the casting of "Q" in "Skyfall"... and simply offer the gig to some pre-pubescent, acne faced 15 year old straight from acting school, without any credits to his/her name.
    I don't suppose it's worth pointing out that Ben Whishaw is 32 and has had a successful acting career, is it?
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    Ben Whishaw is on the top of my list for actors I want to see play the role of The Doctor. Unfortunately I think it's too late to grab him.

It wouldn't bother me seeing Matt Smith stay on for another series if truth be be told but I do think either the 50th or Christmas special will see a regeneration.
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    Very few people had heard of Matt Smith before he was cast, I hadn't.

I'd heard of Matt Smith before Doctor Who as well. I'd seen him in The Sally Lockhart Mysteries with Billie Piper and also Secret Diary of a Call Girl, with Billie again.

Secret Diary of a Call Girl:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE8ExoOcsW4

Ruby In The Smoke:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwx-erkY7yI

These clips are only a few minutes long, each, and not the full eps.