Options

Rumour that Steven Moffat is leaving Doctor Who next year

Comments

• Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I don't know how much truth is in the Moffat rumours, though I wouldn't be surprised if Series 8 was his last.

I also don't think previously strong episodes are an indicator of how good someone will be as a showrunner (Moffat has been quite divisive in recent years, whilst a majority enjoyed his RTD-era episodes). If they were, I wouldn't go for Gatiss or Chibnall personally... the former is a bit hit-and-miss (I love The Unquiet Dead and The Crimson Horror, Night Terrors and Cold War were very underwhelming though) and the only episode of Doctor Who I've enjoyed is 42.

Personally, I'd like to see Toby Whithouse as the next showrunner. His episodes have been diverse, and are a well balanced blend of action and sentiment :)
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I'm not going to say anything because as far as I'm concerned, this isn't even a rumour. I have read about it no-where on the internet except here.
    Can someone please shed some light on where this information is coming from? The only source I've heard of is "someone on Facebook" which makes The Sun seem like the most reliable source in the universe.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    I read online last night that Steven Moffat is leaving Doctor Who next year. I read that the rumours are doing the rounds on Facebook at the moment. I hope this isn't true as I like him and his stories are generally good.

If he does go, then I think Mark Gattis would be perfect to replace him. Failing that, Chris Chibnall. If I remember rightly, he wrote some episodes of Torchwood during S1 and S2, including Fragments and Exit Wounds. They were good, I think.

IMDB says that he wrote a total of 26 TW episodes between 2006 and 2008.

What are your thoughts?
    Irrespective of whether Moffatt remains with Dr Who, the BBC should ensure that a creative team remains in place which will up the ante, and deliver an annual 13/14 episode series (plus christmas episode) within a single run. If, in the case of Moffatt, he wishes to address additional projects, sufficient time would be available, and the creative team would ensure that the quality would be maintained, and that the show would not suffer any deterioration or distraction.
  • Options
    Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read online last night that Steven Moffat is leaving Doctor Who next year. I read that the rumours are doing the rounds on Facebook at the moment. I hope this isn't true as I like him and his stories are generally good.

If he does go, then I think Mark Gattis would be perfect to replace him. Failing that, Chris Chibnall. If I remember rightly, he wrote some episodes of Torchwood during S1 and S2, including Fragments and Exit Wounds. They were good, I think.

IMDB says that he wrote a total of 26 TW episodes between 2006 and 2008.

What are your thoughts?

That would be almost the whole series! Chibnall actually wrote 8 episodes over the course of Series 1 and 2.

That said, I wouldn't like him as a showrunner... not really been a big fan of his past work for the show.
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whenever Mofatt goes, I'd rather Chibnall than Gatiss — if a change has to happen then I'd rather it be a larger one. Gatiss' work is quite weak much more often than not and his image has become that of Mofatt's lackey.
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone may have got this rumour right although more out of luck than any actual insider info!

If it's true though I'd very much like to see Matt and Jenna finish series 8 and then head out too. It would seem neater somehow if a fresh show runner started with a fresh Doctor/Companion rather than carrying over or having a Doctor who has barely started in the role.

Toby Whithouse seems like the obvious choice to take over to me.
  • Options
    ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you think about my suggestion about Mark Gattis being the new showrunner of the programme?

The mere thought of it gives me night terrors...
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    First off all, people need to stop using Facebook as a source for every rumour they hear.

However, I can see Series 8 being Moffat's last though for reasons I've stated in the last thread about these rumours.
  • Options
    C. SamuraiC. Samurai Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    ea91 wrote: »
    The mere thought of it gives me night terrors...

Gatiss is a very safe pair of hands, gets the characters, has a voice for every Doctor he's worked on. Night Terrors is his only misfire with me, and even that one is underrated
  • Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    What do you think about my suggestion about Mark Gattis being the new showrunner of the programme? What about Chris Chibnall?

I don't really give these rumours any credibility because they feed themselves. It's the same as the rumours of the missing episodes that have been discovered that just keep going round and round.

I think both Mark Gatiss and Chris Chibnall have written solid, reliable episodes over many years but I don't really see them hitting the same high's as Moffat and RTD. I don't really rate Toby Whitehouse as much as others either. I used to like Being Human but got bored of it around the same time that the original cast bailed.

Other than pooh-pooing everyone else's suggestions I don't really have any constructive suggestions to offer myself though which I why I tend not to get too involved with these threads :) It's a shame because during RTD's era there was always an heir apparent in the shape of Moffat. I don't see who could take over from him at the moment...
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Anyone but Gattis!
  • Options
    PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be too surprised seeing us a lot of people expect Matt to leave at the end of series 8 too. I just hope Gatiss doesn't get to take the helm. :l
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    bring back terry nation :)

pity he moved on to the Dalek world on the other side...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    I don't really rate Toby Whitehouse as much as others either. I used to like Being Human but got bored of it around the same time that the original cast bailed.

Having checked the internet, that was three years though, right? The rest of the creative team should be viewed like the cast — as medium-term propositions. It's not exactly the same role as filled by RTD and Moffatt nowadays but Hinchcliffe and Williams did three years each and Letts did five.

So being good for three years is good enough.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Personally, I have enjoyed both the RTD and Moffat's eras, though I think Moffat leaving at the end of next season would feel a bit premature.

In terms of who's next. I think Chibnall would get the nod over Gatiss at the moment. While I loveGatiss' work both on Doctor Who and other shows that he has been involved in, I think at this very moment in time Chibnall just edges Gatiss for me.

That being said, Chibnall is going to be somewhat busy over the next year or so with Broadchurch, and by that time we will have seen Gatiss' 50th Anniversary film. After which I am sure I will have formed a completely different opinion.

In the short-to-medium term I hope that Matt and Moffat stay a bit longer...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TEDR wrote: »
    Having checked the internet, that was three years though, right? The rest of the creative team should be viewed like the cast — as medium-term propositions. It's not exactly the same role as filled by RTD and Moffatt nowadays but Hinchcliffe and Williams did three years each and Letts did five.

So being good for three years is good enough.

Is good enough, err, good enough though? I want someone exceptional :)

Thinking back to Being Human I thought the third series was brilliant, really gripping TV but the final didn't quite deliver on the set up for me and then I watched a little of the fourth series but found myself loosing interest and didn't bother with the second half of series four or series five at all.

I've found his stories for Doctor Who to be OK but not amazing. I'm interested to see what his new series is though...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is good enough, err, good enough though? I want someone exceptional :)

How about the BBC post this in the jobs section:
    WANTED: one head writer. Can write about anywhere you want, any time you want. One condition: it has to be amazing.

Given how well RTD worked, maybe they should aim high? Paul Abbott's just become available and between, say, State of Play and Shameless you've got to admit he's got a fantastic range. Or maybe just dash off at a risky tangent and send a big cheque to Alan Bleasdale?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TEDR wrote: »
    How about the BBC post this in the jobs section:
    WANTED: one head writer. Can write about anywhere you want, any time you want. One condition: it has to be amazing.

Given how well RTD worked, maybe they should aim high? Paul Abbott's just become available and between, say, State of Play and Shameless you've got to admit he's got a fantastic range. Or maybe just dash off at a risky tangent and send a big cheque to Alan Bleasdale?

Sounds great to me. I used to love Shameless when Paul Abbott wrote it. They could get David Threlfall in as the Doctor, he's certainly got the hair for it. Perhaps once Moffat has done it might be nice to go back to less of a sci-fi writer as such. I wasn't familiar with RTD's work at all pre Doctor Who (did he even right much sic-fi before Doctor Who?)
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    That would be almost the whole series! Chibnall actually wrote 8 episodes over the course of Series 1 and 2.

That said, I wouldn't like him as a showrunner... not really been a big fan of his past work for the show.
    Yeah, Torchwood only has 41 episodes total (13, 13, 5 and 10). You can't trust IMDB, it's user editable.
  • Options
    SpencerLeveySpencerLevey Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well there's no smoke without fire. I can remember rumors were flying around in 2007 that RTD was leaving but he went on to deny it. However, in 2008 he confirmed his departure. I really do think Series 8 is Moffat and Smith's last run with the series.
  • Options
    SpencerLeveySpencerLevey Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *fingers crossed. His writing and direction for the show has become stale and Smith's talent is being held back by Moffat's vision.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well there's no smoke without fire. I can remember rumors were flying around in 2007 that RTD was leaving but he went on to deny it. However, in 2008 he confirmed his departure.
    There have consistently been rumours about the departure of the showrunner and the lead actors throughout the life of the new series. You don't need to be an 'insider' or have any particular insight to keep predicting something which is certain to happen sooner or later.
    I really do think Series 8 is Moffat and Smith's last run with the series.
    Wishful thinking. That's exactly why you put stock in poor quality information.

Somebody should dress up the next rumour as an astrological reading or a psychic vision. People would believe it. Sadly.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Pure speculation on my part but I now think that maybe Series 8 will be Moffat's last. He may very well mirror RTD's tenure which saw one Doctor for one series (Eccleston), and a successor in three series and some specials (Tennant). Here we'd have Moffat oversee one Doctor for three series and some specials (Smith) and then a successor for one series (Twelfth Doctor). Moffat could hand the beacon to someone else in 2015 - the tenth year since the revival. :)
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really give these rumours any credibility because they feed themselves.
    Yeah, eventually they'll be true of course :)
    I think both Mark Gatiss and Chris Chibnall have written solid, reliable episodes over many years but I don't really see them hitting the same high's as Moffat and RTD. I don't really rate Toby Whitehouse as much as others either. I used to like Being Human but got bored of it around the same time that the original cast bailed.

It's funny I thought Being Human dramatically improved with the new cast, so I'm a great fan of Toby for the job. I could also see Brian Minchin being there as part of his transition team.

Chibnall would be my second choice but given the success of Broadchurch he's going to have a lot of offers on his plate. It would really depend on if he wanted the hassles of Doctor Who. Can't see it happening to be honest.

I'm not a big fan of Gatiss's writing to be honest but I've got to acknowledge his love of the show. Given I loved Moffat's writing but have been critical of his showrunning I'd be reasonably comfortable with Gatiss at the helm.
  • Options
    OrriOrri Posts: 9,470
    Forum Member
    Pure speculation on my part but I now think that maybe Series 8 will be Moffat's last.

Didn't he introduce a second in command, as it were, recently which might indicate he's leaving at some point after he's handed the reigns over. I doubt the BBC want a sudden change in direction to completely mess things up.