Options

Classic Doctor Who Dvd's

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
Forum Member
Hi

So, I am looking at starting a classic doctor who dvd collection, but there's a couple of things I wanted to know before buying them as I really don't know which stories have been released.

Does anybody know if the a complete classic box set will ever be released, or at least a box set for each season. And if so when? As I would much rather wait a couple of years and buy an entire box set rather than each individual story.

Thanks! (and sorry if there's a similar thread somewhere but I couldn't find any info on it!).

Comments

• Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    My recollection is that the project is completed and no more are being done. although that doesn't mean that another might not turn up.

wikipedia has a list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Doctor_Who_serials#Season_1_.281963.E2.80.9364.29
    and
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_missing_episodes

I watched some a couple of years ago. the first season. the first doctor was a ****. at one point they were walking on a strange planet and a guy that was injured was slowing them down. the doctor wanted to kill him.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I love the classic era! I've got a lot of DVD's - but not all of them yet. I don't think there'll be a box set for each season though!
    For a start, the first season (or 'Series' as I like to call it) - lasted almost a year! It would have to be a whopping great box-set to cover the first few series!!
    There are box-sets that cover a certain amount of stories (ie: The Beginning (the first three stories) etc).
    I'm just collecting them as they come out.
  • Options
    Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As of this Monday there will only be one complete story left to be released on DVD. I highly doubt there will ever be a complete box set. It would need to be a hell of size to fit everything in.

A quick way to start building a collection is buying the box sets with three stories inside.

I would also hold off buying any singe DVD that has been released before 2005 as BBC seem to be redoing them all as special editions.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Chris_TV wrote: »
    As of this Monday there will only be one complete story left to be released on DVD. I highly doubt there will ever be a complete box set. It would need to be a hell of size to fit everything in.

A quick way to start building a collection is buying the box sets with three stories inside.

I would also hold off buying any singe DVD that has been released before 2005 as BBC seem to be redoing them all as special editions.

Very helpful information guys! I think I will wait a bit then, and see if there are special editions released. Maybe they are planning on releasing them around the 50th? :D
  • Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr who is the hardest thing of all to collect on DVD.its not like star trek where each of its seasons are neatly packaged together in a DVD box set or dads army where every episode surviving is released in a box set.they have been coming out since 1999 and the gap between the first release the 5 doctors and the last release of this year the tenth planet is 14 years and still everything will not be out as we will be waiting for the underwater menace. Breathe. Stories have been released not in order but totally randomly.some individually,some in box sets.some,well a lot now have been released twice! And we still have no release date for the underwater menace part 2 nearly 2 years after it was found. Dr who fans truly have the patience of jobe.
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Just to further complicate things. Incomplete stories, including some stories for which no episodes exist are available on audio (people used to record the soundtrack off the TV and these are the only thing we have of some stories). They used to do these on audio cassette tape and then redid them on CD and now they have gathered them together into "The Lost TV Episodes" box sets of which there are currently four.

However, some of the stories included have actually been done on DVD too as the missing episodes have been animated on the DVDs alongside the original audio soundtrack. So replication is inevitable!
  • Options
    darrenh2011darrenh2011 Posts: 2,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can anyone top my collection http://i.imgur.com/kdQCsCp.jpg ?
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've got an official release of every story, every existing episode (except Underwater Menace 2). An Unearthly Child-Journey's End on dvd, The Next Doctor-The Name of the Doctor on blu-ray. Mind of Evil, Terror of the Zygons, The Tenth Planet & The Ice Warriors on VHS- though I no longer have a working VHS player- plus the CD releases of every missing serial. It's hard to get a good photo of everything in the space it's in. (And I don't actually own a smart phone or digital camera at the moment. Because I spend all my money on Who merchandise :eek:)

Well you asked. :o

And on June 24th, when the Regeneration set is released, I will own three dvd copies of the 1996 tv movie. A film I really can't stand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm the same except got a working vhs player,only got from the next doctor on DVD and definitely not getting the regeneration DVD!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    I see that the previously released stories are getting re-released as a "Special Edition."

Are they really worth buying if you have the original DVD release? It's one thing if there are lots of new stuff including a new commentary, but if it's the same commentary and extras with 4 or 5 new extras added it sounds more of a rip-off than a special edition.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see that the previously released stories are getting re-released as a "Special Edition."

Are they really worth buying if you have the original DVD release? It's one thing if there are lots of new stuff including a new commentary, but if it's the same commentary and extras with 4 or 5 new extras added it sounds more of a rip-off than a special edition.

I have picked up the special editions and on the whole has been worth it.the restoration on claws of axos, inferno and tomb of the Cybermen from the original releases has been outstanding.some original releases like remembrance of the daleks,spearhead from space,five doctors,robots of death and vengeance on varos were so poorly done that revisits were a no brainer.others like carnival of monsters,the movie,Resurrection of the daleks,seeds of death, were more of a case of releasing the same stuff again with extra features though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Got every release apart from the Special editions of Vengence on Varos and The Ark In Space.

I notice you don't have the cardboard slips around some of your dvd's that came as doubles or a set of 3 stories. Do you keep them separate. I know a lot of fans tend to do this.
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    I started collecting them ages ago and then stopped for a while. Right now I'm in catch up mode but I'm pacing myself because it's way too expensive to buy all the missing ones at once!

I've got about 76 DVDs and all the audio CDs. I did record a lot of old stories on VHS when they were on UK Gold but my VCR isn't even hooked up these days so it doesn't really count!

My collection of Big Finish audios is more impressive, though. I haven't missed a release since they started (including all the spin-off series).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    I have picked up the special editions and on the whole has been worth it.the restoration on claws of axos, inferno and tomb of the Cybermen from the original releases has been outstanding.some original releases like remembrance of the daleks,spearhead from space,five doctors,robots of death and vengeance on varos were so poorly done that revisits were a no brainer.others like carnival of monsters,the movie,Resurrection of the daleks,seeds of death, were more of a case of releasing the same stuff again with extra features though.

Thanks Benny :)

I don't mind buying what I have if they are worth it, but not if it's just to get 5 or 6 extras that isn't worth spending the price of a new DVD for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    I started collecting them ages ago and then stopped for a while. Right now I'm in catch up mode but I'm pacing myself because it's way too expensive to buy all the missing ones at once!

I've got about 76 DVDs and all the audio CDs. I did record a lot of old stories on VHS when they were on UK Gold but my VCR isn't even hooked up these days so it doesn't really count!

My collection of Big Finish audios is more impressive, though. I haven't missed a release since they started (including all the spin-off series).

ha true. I fell a year behind in 2007, and catching up seemed to be expensive as I did it over a short space of time. I have been up to date since 2008, and although it is probably even more expensive this way, you don't feel it as much. It's only 2x £13 every 6-8 weeks or so. Plus I got £200 in 2006 for the sale of all my Doctor Who VHS's at the time and most of the money just went on replacing them. I was lucky, because a year later the value of VHS dropped to practically 0