How many regenerations has the doctor got left?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 482
Forum Member
I seam to remember something from John Pertwee or Tom Bakers day about the doctor having a finite number of regenerations left, And had sacrificed some of them to allow timelords to die.

I have a vague recollection he was left with 12-15 regenerations!

Comments

• Banks246Banks246 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As many as they like.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Providing he hasn't been given a whole new set over the years, and counting John Hurt as a former Doctor, 11 to 12 would now be his final regeneration.

However, this could all have changed since the end of the Time Lords. It may get a mention in the 50th as a means of putting it to bed for the future,
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In a Sarah Jane Adventure programme with Matt Smith guesting the Doctor said 507 times!!!!

Colin Patterson was on BBC Breakfast at 8.55am today and confirmed this.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »
    In a Sarah Jane Adventure programme with Matt Smith guesting the Doctor said 507 times!!!!
    The Doctor lies.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    rifleman wrote: »
    I seam to remember something from John Pertwee or Tom Bakers day about the doctor having a finite number of regenerations left, And had sacrificed some of them to allow timelords to die.

I have a vague recollection he was left with 12-15 regenerations!

We have all been under the impression that he has 12 regenerations and, therefore, there can only be 13 Doctors unless something is done about it. The Master ran out of regenerations a long time ago but managed some trick to get more.

Apparently the BBC has said that the Doctor moved past that restriction ages ago but if there was some event which happened to do this I'm not sure what it was.
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is how I'd like to see it play out, and despite all the "time war Doctor" rumours I haven't given up hope yet.

9/10 = 9th regeneration
    metacrisis = 10th regeneration
    10/11 = 11th regeneration
    11/Hurt = 12th regeneration

I think the "battle-hardened" John Hurt Doctor could be the Doctor who fought and died at Trenzalore and that the 11th Doctor may know what will happen due having already experienced the events of the 50th when he was the 10th doctor.

I found Richard E. Grant's mention of the Valeyard in TNOTD to be somewhat forced, It came across differently to The Storm and The Beast. He tried to get it out too quickly like he'd been told to slip it past the audience if he could but there was a knowing look in his eye as he did so.
    I'm certain the Valeyard will get another mention in the 50th.

So for now I'm still thinking that Hurt will redeem himself in the 50th and be known after that as the 12th Doctor, and that Matt's succesor in series 8 will be the 13th.

I'm also going to hazard a guess that this next Doctor will only do one, maybe two series with the next showrunner bringing in their own Doctor in series 9 or 10.

:)
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    In theory he gets 12 regenerations, and 13 incarnations. So if John Hurt turns out not to be a past Doctor, and the semi-regeneration in Journey's End doesn't count, he has two regenerations left.

However, I'm sure they will find a way around the regeneration limit, should the series still be going strong by the time the 13th Doctor actor leaves the role.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    As many as the writers of the show decide....
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They could say that the regenerations are somehow linked to the power of the Eye of Harmony, so that whilst there were many Time Lords in the universe they were each rationed to only 12. However, with only The Doctor left he can have 12n where n is the total number of Time Lords, so effectively millions. That should allow the series to carry on for a few years I would have thought :)
    In theory he gets 12 regenerations, and 13 incarnations. So if John Hurt turns out not to be a past Doctor, and the semi-regeneration in Journey's End doesn't count, he has two regenerations left.
    Hurt could be of the Valeyard type, even if he isn't playing the Valeyard himself. A semi-Doctor evil distillation cast off during an interrupted regeneration process.
  • Dear ViewerDear Viewer Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

However, I'm sure they will find a way around the regeneration limit, should the series still be going strong by the time the 13th Doctor actor leaves the role.

When the regeneration debate comes up I always defer to the 5th Doctor story 'Planet Of Fire' when Peter Davidson's incarnation enters a plume of cold fire which apparently extended life - from memory.

This plot device may serve to explain if he should be able to regenerate beyond 13 incarnations.
  • missemmerdale22missemmerdale22 Posts: 713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the classic series it was 12 times but then they may have of changed it since
  • PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reckon it's still only the 12 regenerations, but they're gonna find a way to bypass it.
  • LivingDestinyLivingDestiny Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It won't be John Hurt as he was probably cast as this unknown doctor before Smith decided to leave.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon it's still only the 12 regenerations, but they're gonna find a way to bypass it.

Thought they missed the perfect chance when River gave over her Regens to him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 266
    Forum Member

Why would the Producers even need to find a way. This "12 regenerations" stuff was one throw-away line in a story 30-odd years ago, yet the extremist wing of fandom seem to cling onto this as if it was the most important thing in their life.

Actually, it probably is, so just get out more and move on!
  • Philip_LambPhilip_Lamb Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    DavyBoy60 wrote: »
    Why would the Producers even need to find a way. This "12 regenerations" stuff was one throw-away line in a story 30-odd years ago, yet the extremist wing of fandom seem to cling onto this as if it was the most important thing in their life.

Actually, it probably is, so just get out more and move on!
    Yeah throw away line in one story. Deadly Assassin, Keeper of Traken and the movie all had plots revolving and stated that the master had used up all his 12 regenerations.
    Mawdryn Undead, Its stated the that the doctor had 7 out of 12 left.
    In trial of a time lord its mentioned once again, with the Valeyard being
    the doctors incarnation between his twelveth and final regeneration.
    And thats just the mentions I can think of off the top of my head.
  • SeventeenSeventeen Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    It would be a good plot device to have a new Doctor come in and throughout his time on the show have the lack of ability to regenerate hovering over him. Obviously he'd find some kind of a solution but he could find that solution over a story arc that spans multiple series.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I think it would be easy just to say during The Time War they were given more maybe unlimited regenerations so they had a better chance of winning.

Or of course with no more Time Lords about there is nobody left to control it any more.

It could be interesting that after 13 even The Doctor is unsure if he will regenerate or not
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Well river song gave up her regenerative power to save the doctor, so perhaps that in turn grants him a few more :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    12 and if they don;t stop the show after that then they've been lying all this time.:mad:

I would have thought be now that the number of regenerations question would have burnt itself out but no...for some reason a) people can't google it and b) it's irrelevant it's not an issue apart from a quick episode at some point in the future to sort it out.
  • SamMcKSamMcK Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As many regenerations as they want until the BBC stop profiting from the show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    Yeah throw away line in one story. Deadly Assassin, Keeper of Traken and the movie all had plots revolving and stated that the master had used up all his 12 regenerations.
    Mawdryn Undead, Its stated the that the doctor had 7 out of 12 left.
    In trial of a time lord its mentioned once again, with the Valeyard being
    the doctors incarnation between his twelveth and final regeneration.
    And thats just the mentions I can think of off the top of my head.

Right-oh, fair cop then. Better tell the BBC that they simply have to stop making the show then after the next chap leaves. Or if John Hurt turns out to be a *real* Doctor then that's it then, the show ends at Christmas, you have spoken!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    Why waste the opportunity for a really interesting plot revolving around the Doctor struggling to survive beyond the regeneration limit?
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DavyBoy60 wrote: »
    Right-oh, fair cop then. Better tell the BBC that they simply have to stop making the show then after the next chap leaves. Or if John Hurt turns out to be a *real* Doctor then that's it then, the show ends at Christmas, you have spoken!

I think Hurt will turn out to be the 12th, the meta-crisis used his 10th regeneration making 11/Hurt the 12th regeneration and something will happen that takes us into a "whole new era for the show" with a restored Doctor.

Ben Daniels for 12th? .... I'm going to say no but maybe 13th ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Deadly Assassin...a script that reinvented the TimeLords over what had been done before...we are talking about a show that is based on time-travel and changing things through time - there are no fixed things...apart from the things that the writers deem necessary for a certain story...Moffat said himself way back when he was just a writer...and the Master was also given a new set of regenerations...it's make believe...it isn't real...it can be changed very easily...just like time itself...which is funny since it's a show about changing stuff through time...