Options

Doctor Who: Is there a rule...

2»

Comments

• Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    And why don't they count exactly? They're fairly important after all.

Not really

If I had a sex change tomorrow would that change my memories or baggage.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a die hard WHO fan but I have watched the occassional episodes over the years. My question concerns about "who" can become Doctor Who. This subject probably has been covered before but I was wondering if there are rules to when the Doctor regenerates into a new body.

No, next question.
  • Options
    Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    They share them, but they aren't influenced by them.

The memories are what makes the Doctor the Doctor. Would you really suggest memories of Gallifrey don't influence the Doctor? What about those dark haunting monologues about all he's witnessed?
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    Nine and Ten might have fancied Rose, but d'you think Eleven would go all googly-eyed over her?

Well if 10 followed up 9 and did so then why wouldn't 11?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    Not really

It would certainly change your baggage.
  • Options
    Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Not really

I didn't say anything about changing memories or baggage. Quite the contrary. The fact that they don't change is why the female regeneration is problematic for this character as he's been written.
  • Options
    Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't say anything about changing memories or baggage. Quite the contrary. The fact that they don't change is why the female regeneration is problematic for this character as he's been written.
    Clearly, it's problematic for you. And that's perfectly OK, everyone's entitled to an opinion.

But for the character of The Doctor, if it ever did happen, it really wouldn't be a problem at all.
  • Options
    ShevkShevk Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK if that's the case. I was referencing the established traits of his character. Such as the way he responds to members of the opposite sex and a myriad of other gender issues.

How does gender affect the way he relates to other characters?

Surely a female Doctor could respond to River Song in exactly the same way as the current Doctor does?
  • Options
    Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You guys have mentioned some really interesting stuff. I appreciate the responses. Doctor Who is a fascinating character and still so mysterious after 50 years on TV. :)
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    But there's even more to it. The gender aspect has been a core part of the narrative and speaks to male-female relationships in general. How women often trust men and idealise men. The fairy tale syndrome.
    Which may be true for particular incarnations, but not for all. The Doctor changes, his companions change, their relationships change. While Rose and Ten's relationship wouldn't have worked if Ten was female, the relationship with Donna would work just fine.
    We see this in the Wizard of Oz and other stories. The Doctor does have real powers but of course he has a hero complex and a dark side too which is fundamentally tied into him being male.
    I don't see how this follows.

The Doctor, of all people, is about subverting expectations - forcing people to re-examine their assumptions about the world. I think if the Doctor were the one observing this debate, he'd be all in favour of breaking those pre-judgments.
  • Options
    AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's true and I alluded to that earlier. But that hasn't been shown to be fundamental to his character's identity.

The fairy tale syndrome. We see this in the Wizard of Oz and other stories. The Doctor does have real powers but of course he has a hero complex and a dark side too which is fundamentally tied into him being male.

I really don't see that being a dark complex hero with powers has to be male? That seems increadbly outdated and sexist and just plain wrong. It's frequently been shown that his female companions are just as hero and powerful as he is.

As for changing gender identities go watch the wonderful Orlando with Tilda Swanson based on the Virginia Woolf novel. What was thought male is now female.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FunkyJawa wrote: »
    i remember Romana's multiple regeneration scene. Timelords can change into whatever.

Personally I try to forget that ridiculous scene!

Romana's 'regeneration' does seem to suggest that they can change into any form, and 9 seemed to confirm this by telling Rose he may never make sense again, may have two or even no head!

Personally, I like to believe that the Time Lords change into a Time Lords/Gallifreyans and that the scene in Destiny was nothing more than a folly and that 9 was only joking! So far, this has not been proved otherwise!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Personally, I like to believe that the Time Lords change into a Time Lords/Gallifreyans and that the scene in Destiny was nothing more than a folly and that 9 was only joking! So far, this has not been proved otherwise!
    Or perhaps the Doctor doesn't have as much control over the process as others do because of his half-human DNA? *ducks*
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or perhaps the Doctor doesn't have as much control over the process as others do because of his half-human DNA? *ducks*
    Indeed. I always thought the Doctor just "winged-it" because he only ever regenerated when his current body was too badly damaged. However, the Jacobi Master was mortally wounded and he could still predict with some confidence that he would have a young body to match the Tennant Doctor. So it looks like the Doctor is particularly bad at regeneration while other Time Lords take it in their stride.
  • Options
    AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or Regeneration was one of the subjects he failed at the academy. We know Romana was top of her class but that the Doctor scraped through on the second try.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    The Doctor can't even choose what hair colour to have never mind race or gender
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mind you, he does seem to somewhat get a kick out of not knowing what he's going to get. After all, he's always been about not judging the book by the cover.