Options

James Garner - RIP

MinnimoMinnimo Posts: 5,741
Forum Member
Just saw on the news he passed away. So sad. Really liked him as an actor. 86 years old.

Comments

• Options
    muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh no how sad that news is. I loved his films and he was a fab actor
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aw now that is sad news. I grew up in the Seventies and have very fond memories of watching The Rockford Files with my dad and loving it. Got the DVD's and still loved it. Wonderful series and James had such charm and intelligence as Jim Rockford.

I understand when his series Nicholls got cancelled (I would love to see that. Sounds interesting) he was very upset, but made sure he got most of the crew back for Rockford. He came across as a very loyal and principled man, as well as being a superb actor. Also seemed very intelligent, funny and not at all ego driven in interviews.

Always loved the 'Support....'films too.

RIP Jimbo. Legend.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    RIP James Garner

I remember him as Maverick in the old black and white TV series........and he's always been good value in everything he's been in..........including the remake of Maverick some 20 years later

I particularly liked 'Move Over, Darling' with Doris Day when he was a romantic leading man and played it perfectly.........and 'Support Your Local Sheriff' and 'Support Your Local Gunfighter' - terrific comedy westerns
  • Options
    Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    RIP James Garner

I remember him as Maverick in the old black and white TV series........and he's always been good value in everything he's been in..........including the remake of Maverick some 20 years later

I particularly liked 'Move Over, Darling' with Doris Day when he was a romantic leading man and played it perfectly.........and 'Support Your Local Sheriff' and 'Support Your Local Gunfighter' - terrific comedy westerns
    Yes, I loved that film with him and Doris.

Met and married his wife in a fortnight back in 1956 and were together up until his death.

In his 86 years he seemingly combined a successful career with a happy marriage - good for him!

R.I.P Mr Garner.
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great performances in The Great Escape and the Rockford Files... loved the Rockford Files intro....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg1Cx26-928

RIP Jim
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    How sad. Perhaps one of the most handsome men I have ever seen in The Great Escape. I had such a massive soft spot for that character. RIP James.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,201
    Forum Member
    Jo March wrote: »

Met and married his wife in a fortnight back in 1956 and were together up until his death.

In his 86 years he seemingly combined a successful career with a happy marriage - good for him!

R.I.P Mr Garner.

Very sad news ! :(

Doris always said that he was her favourite leading man, she must be feeling sad she has outlived almost every one of them, Jack Carson, Gordon MacRea, James Cagney, Cary Grant, Howard Keel, Rex Harrison, Stephen Boyd, James Stewart, Gene Nelson, Frank Sinatra, Richard Widmark, David Niven, Jack Lemmon, Danny Thomas, and Richard Harris. I think that the only names still around are Kirk Douglas, Rod Taylor, and Louis Jourdan.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Doris always said that he was her favourite leading man, she must be feeling sad she has outlived almost every one of them, Jack Carson, Gordon MacRea, James Cagney, Cary Grant, Howard Keel, Rex Harrison, Stephen Boyd, James Stewart, Gene Nelson, Frank Sinatra, Richard Widmark, David Niven, Jack Lemmon, Danny Thomas, and Richard Harris. I think that the only names still around are Kirk Douglas, Rod Taylor, and Louis Jourdan.

And Rock Hudson of course. James accidentally cracked two of her ribs during the massage scene of Move Over Darling. She never said anything to him until the next day when he put his arms around her and felt the bandages round her waist. They were very close friends.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,201
    Forum Member
    And Rock Hudson of course. James accidentally cracked two of her ribs during the massage scene of Move Over Darling. She never said anything to him until the next day when he put his arms around her and felt the bandages round her waist. They were very close friends.

I can't believe that I missed Rock Hudson off that list, I guess because I was never a fan, although the films that he did with Doris were great. :)
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RIP to another fine Actor :(
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    RIP James Garner

I particularly liked 'Move Over, Darling' with Doris Day when he was a romantic leading
    man and played it perfectly.........and 'Support Your Local Sheriff' and 'Support Your Local Gunfighter' - terrific comedy westerns

He was a wonderful light comedian. The look ifcomplete
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aw :(
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Appeared in Rockford Files brilliant series RIP
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The film Grand Prix is on bbc2 today sunday at 16.15
  • Options
    BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jo March wrote: »

R.I.P Mr Garner.

There is the similarity with the story in "The Notebook". I'd always thought that the scenes with the older couple were more touching than in their younger days.
  • Options
    WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why haven't I read this?

Just watched The Notebook the other day. He never fails to make me bawl my eyes out. Rip.
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP James Garner. Such a good looking man, apparently the model of Troy Tempest's face - Marina's love interest in Stingray was based on his features.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    A fine actor and a very handsome man. My particular favourites of his roles were in The Great Escape and Move Over Darling.

I believe he and his wife were married for many years and had a daughter, plus he had a very successful career - his was a long life well-lived. RIP.
  • Options
    pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    Aw now that is sad news. I grew up in the Seventies and have very fond memories of watching The Rockford Files with my dad and loving it. Got the DVD's and still loved it. Wonderful series and James had such charm and intelligence as Jim Rockford.

I understand when his series Nicholls got cancelled (I would love to see that. Sounds interesting) he was very upset, but made sure he got most of the crew back for Rockford. He came across as a very loyal and principled man, as well as being a superb actor. Also seemed very intelligent, funny and not at all ego driven in interviews.

Always loved the 'Support....'films too.

RIP Jimbo. Legend.

He was also great in comic roles and serious roles. I, too, always liked him, and a James Garner film was never a disappointment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As well as Rock Hudson, there was Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon.

RIP James. And thanks to all of the old-timers for the memories.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The one who got away in The Great Escape
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Awww :(
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Really spooky that they are showing one of his films Grand Prix on BBC 2 this afternoon.
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A great man and actor. Was in my favourite film of all time, The Great Escape.

RIP. :(
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    The one who got away in The Great Escape

He didn't.

He was captured after the plane crash. But he wasn't shot. Just sent back to the camp.