and Walker was a excellent history of Doctor Who's
production. Even though it's old and factually
inaccurate in places, I also enjoyed Peter Haining's
"Doctor Who: A Celebration".

Comments

• tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still have a soft spot for 'Ace: the End of an Era', but I think I'd have to go for 'Doctor Who: the Hinchcliffe Years'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sixties, The Seventies , The Eighties and Timeframe also by Howe, Stammers and Walker are four of the best and for me The Discontinuity Guide by Paul Cornell, Martin Day and Keith Topping is the best episode guide to the "classic" series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sixties, The Seventies , The Eighties and Timeframe also by Howe, Stammers and Walker are four of the best and for me The Discontinuity Guide by Paul Cornell, Martin Day and Keith Topping is the best episode guide to the "classic" series.

I'd forgotten about Timeframe! That's a good one.
  • omipaloneomipalone Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just ordered The Writers Tale - The Final Chapter from Amazon for £8.50 (free P&P) as a mate said it was a superb insight into the RTD era.

Amazon Linkage
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    I have the first edition of Lance Parkin's "A History
    of the Universe" somewhere, which was an attempt to
    cover all the show's imaginary history in one book.
    Strictly for the hardcore fan, but very interesting.
    He's published a second edition, which I haven't seen.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked all The Sixties/Seventies/Eighties books and all the Handbooks though the Hartnell one was a bit of a torture read at times. Would like to think they'd do one on the recent Doctors in the future.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Writers Tale. Easily. Superb book which provides a brilliant insight in to the making of the show, especially the writing process.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Writer's Tale.
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always enjoyed The Gallifrey Chronicles by John Peel (if only for the photos).
  • omipaloneomipalone Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    The Writers Tale. Easily. Superb book which provides a brilliant insight in to the making of the show, especially the writing process.
    The Writer's Tale.

Can't wait to get my mitts on it

*hurry up Amazon*:D
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of Andrew Cartmel's Script Doctor book is fascinating. his diary entries from the time make really interesting, funny and revealing reading. However, the diary entries stop after a while, and the book is a bit more anecdotal after that.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Have only got The Writers Tale: The Final Chapter. It is a good read. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,666
    Forum Member
    Inside the TARDIS for Classic Who. The Writer's Tale for New Who.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    There was talk of Andrew Pixley turning his
    DWM columns on each story (which ran, IIRC, all the way from
    "An Unearthly Child" to "the Parting of the Ways") into
    a book, which I for one would certainly enjoy
    reading.
  • JohnFlawbodJohnFlawbod Posts: 4,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a book called "The Science of Doctor Who" which looks at the ideas of the show and how close to reality they might be - it's fascinating stuff
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not specifically about Doctor Who (though Doctor Who does dominate a huge chunk of it) but I found Nicholas Courtney's (first) autobiography, 'Five Rounds Rapid', fascinating.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    I still have a copy of Piccalo books "The Making of Doctor Who " with Jon Pertwee on the cover. I believe this was the very first "making of" book about Doctor Who. It's not very accurate but has a number of decent pictures and reveals that that the Doctor's real name is actually a mathematical equation !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to add to the voices who say the Writer's Tale...
    Have only read the first part (a number of times) yet....looking forward to reading the rest. And I'm definitely going to look into the other books recomended on here. Thanks guys.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    Doctor Who: A Celebration. I waited months for my birthday to come so I could have it. I wasn't disappointed!
  • THEHANDOFOMEGATHEHANDOFOMEGA Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    I still have a soft spot for 'Ace: the End of an Era', but I think I'd have to go for 'Doctor Who: the Hinchcliffe Years'.

I have just picked up a copy of Ace - The end of an Era.

Its amazing to think how much has changed

For me it would have to be the combined Handbook series

http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-Handbook-Second-Paperback/dp/0426205162

I managed to get hold of a limited edition of all 7. Awesome
  • Free RadicalFree Radical Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    I was reading Who Is The Doctor by Graeme Burk and Robert Smith at the library yesterday. Both the writers are Canadian fans of DW and after a short introduction about the history of the show, the book is basically a review of the first six series of the revival. It's really well written and honest about any flaws in each episode as well as mentioning the references to the classic series.

I learned a few details that I never knew. Like the fact that in "Rose" when the Doctor speed-reads a book, it's The Lovely Bones. I never notice little things like that. I was pleasantly surprised.

Who Is The Doctor is well worth a read.
  • Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Shooting Scripts is by far the best one currently. I loved being able to see scripts from the first series of New Who; I just wish they'd released follow ups for series 2-8. I'd have liked to have been able to compare a Moffat Era script to a RTD Era one.
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    I still have a copy of Piccalo books "The Making of Doctor Who " with Jon Pertwee on the cover. I believe this was the very first "making of" book about Doctor Who. It's not very accurate but has a number of decent pictures and reveals that that the Doctor's real name is actually a mathematical equation !

I have the Target 1976 reissue / update of The Making Of Doctor Who. A wonderful book.
    The chapter on the making of Robot through scripts and story breakdowns etc was always fascinating, the first insight i ever read about how a TV show was made. Terrance Dicks' synopses of all the stories was also an invaluable reference point in those days long before DWM, videos etc etc .
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Talma wrote: »
    I've always enjoyed The Gallifrey Chronicles by John Peel (if only for the photos).
    The Vault is good for the same reason. Lots of rare pics.
  • Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    The Vault is good for the same reason. Lots of rare pics.

Oh most definitely the best non-fiction book to be released in recent years. If I was to have written a n/f book then this would've been it.