Options

Ebola virus spreading

Comments

• Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FIN-MAN wrote: »
    You have to take my comment in context to our previous posts lampooning the Austin Powers/007 aspect of COBRA.

Ohh, I didn't realise it was part of that. I actually thought you were serious . This being DS it is possible. Lol
  • Options
    Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The UK needs to get the **** out of the EU and also close down the boarders so this virus doesnt get in the country it only takes one person from Africa to infect us all
  • Options
    FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The UK needs to get the **** out of the EU and also close down the boarders so this virus doesnt get in the country it only takes one person from Africa to infect us all

I never thought about the EU aspect if this does spread to Europe. What will happen to the EU if that happens considering open borders is a big aspect of their policy?
  • Options
    Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never thought about the EU aspect if this does spread to Europe. What will happen to the EU if that happens considering open borders is a big aspect of their policy?

Yeah it can spread around the EU first then come to us. The boarders have to be shut we are sitting ducks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    I expect a few of these possible 30,000 contacts are no longer in Africa as some of them came into contact with him at 3 different international airports. I just hope he cleaned the toilets on those planes after he used them!

The possibility to galvanize support to contain this is looking very daunting.

"fight against disease hampered by belief in witchcraft"
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/sierraleone/11001610/Ebola-outbreak-fight-against-disease-hampered-by-belief-in-witchcraft-warns-British-doctor.html
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The leading Doctor in Sierra Leone has already paid the ultimate price for his dedication. He died on Tuesday.
    Sierra Leone's leading ebola doctor, Sheik Umar Khan, dies from the virus, after treating over 100 patients during the worst outbreak on record.

Now, a young British Doctor has gone out there.

http://www.channel4.com/news/ebola-doctor-dead-sierra-leone-virus

Men like these two should be held in the highest esteem by society. I've every respect for them.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We could shut our borders down the tomorrow if we wanted. What would they do about it? Although this pro EU government would hum and har about it I am sure they'd do it in an Emergency like that.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

LOL! Dramatic much??

Yup it'll be them grotty foreigners that bring it in... not possibly a Brit returning from a foreign trip to an infected country eh??:D
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    LOL! Dramatic much??

Yup it'll be them grotty foreigners that bring it in... not possibly a Brit returning from a foreign trip to an infected country eh??:D

Somebody mentioned TB earlier. We pretty much eradicated until the 90's that but we've let so many people in whose cultures seem to think its acceptable to spit on the streets our TB rates in London are the highest in Europe.
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    I've always been intrigued about why such viruses as these even bother to exist, all they seem to exist for is to be profoundly negative. Why don't we get really good viruses, that help us and are beneficial as well to balance them out?
    Why is everything plotting destruction and to do negative things?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    LOL! Dramatic much??

I wouldn't take too much notice there......the light bulbs never really been on! ;-)

The last guy who died was a US citizen who had been working in Liberia.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't take too much notice there......the light bulbs never really been on! ;-)

The last guy who died was a US citizen who had been working in Liberia.

The truth is when someone in the west dies our media puts a face to them but when it's large groups of western Africans it is just a statistic. It's just how it is. Those no name Africans might not have the ability to travel but they can come into contact with those that can. The scary thing is that the US citizen was scheduled to come back home for his daughter's birthday.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    The truth is when someone in the west dies our media puts a face to them but when it's large groups of western Africans it is just a statistic. It's just how it is. Those no name Africans might not have the ability to travel but they can come into contact with those that can. The scary thing is that the US citizen was scheduled to come back home for his daughter's birthday.

Several Americans have now contracted Ebola in west Africa - so we clearly aren't immune from its risks. The problem is given the two to three week incubation period before those affected show any symptoms - and initially they are like a cold or flu - we may not really know until mid August or later whether this has or could spread outside west Africa. The Lagos airport case was only last week.

Sierra Leone has today imposed a nationa state of emergency and is sending in troops to quarantine affected areas supplemented by house to house searches - it must be very scary for people there. All schools are shut and public gatherings and sporting events are banned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Several Americans have now contracted Ebola in west Africa - so we clearly aren't immune from its risks. The problem is given the two to three week incubation period before those affected show any symptoms - and initially they are like a cold or flu - we may not really know until mid August or later whether this has or could spread outside west Africa. The Lagos airport case was only last week.

Sierra Leone has today imposed a nationa state of emergency and is sending in troops to quarantine affected areas supplemented by house to house searches - it must be very scary for people there. All schools are shut and public gatherings and sporting events are banned.
    BIB.....extremely. Especially given that there is no known cure despite the virus first being discovered almost 40 years ago.

The leading Doctor in Sierra Leone paid for his dedication with his life and is now dead. There is a young British Doctor out there now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    BIB.....extremely. Especially given that there is no known cure despite the virus first being discovered almost 40 years ago.

The leading Doctor in Sierra Leone paid for his dedication with his life and is now dead. There is a young British Doctor out there now.

Could you imagine being selfless enough to go help these people and then contracting the disease and finding out you basically have a coin flip chance of living? I would be a little pissed but I guess they knew the risks when they signed up. Better people than I am.
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A US doctor infected with ebola has insisted the only dose of an experimental serum go to a fellow American patient in Liberia. Dr Kent Brantly and missionary Nancy Writebol are both in a stable but grave condition, according to the North Carolina-based charity Samaritan's Purse, although his condition deteriorated slightly overnight.

Franklin Graham, president of the charity, said in a statement: "Yesterday, an experimental serum arrived in the country, but there was only enough for one person. Dr Brantly asked that it be given to Nancy Writebol."
    LINK
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many viruses in the past have really been tame I have had swine flu and noro virus. But this really sounds vicious abit too high of mortality rate....why aren't the media and health secretary taking this more serious! No one should have to die like these people are, id rather be nuked than slowly bleed internally to death and be aware of it.
  • Options
    weirlandia4evaweirlandia4eva Posts: 1,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is an android app called Plague inc (not sure if there is an iphone version).
    In it you get to control a virus, bacteria etc and see if you can wipe out mankind. you choose where it starts, how it mutates, how it is spread and so on.
    It is quite interesting to see how a particular trait or a mutation can change the impact the disease has.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.miniclip.plagueinc&hl=en_GB
  • Options
    MeercamMeercam Posts: 1,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The big question for many on DS will soon be whether they can claim DLA while they have ebola.
  • Options
    WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Meercam wrote: »
    The big question for many on DS will soon be whether they can claim DLA while they have ebola.

One of the main problems we'll have containing the virus will be because all sufferers are bound to be judged fit for work.
  • Options
    MeercamMeercam Posts: 1,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WinterFire wrote: »
    One of the main problems we'll have containing the virus will be because all sufferers are bound to be judged fit for work.

Not sure about that.
    It'll probably aggravate their mental health problems and addictions.

I'm looking forward to the first ebola fraudster.:)
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    I've always been intrigued about why such viruses as these even bother to exist, all they seem to exist for is to be profoundly negative. Why don't we get really good viruses, that help us and are beneficial as well to balance them out?
    Why is everything plotting destruction and to do negative things?

reminds me of the positive viruses in Red Dwarf

http://reddwarf.wikia.com/wiki/Positive_Viruses
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    There is an android app called Plague inc (not sure if there is an iphone version).
    In it you get to control a virus, bacteria etc and see if you can wipe out mankind. you choose where it starts, how it mutates, how it is spread and so on.
    It is quite interesting to see how a particular trait or a mutation can change the impact the disease has.

I played this yesterday, called my disease Ebola, and exterminated the human race on Christmas Day 2016. Not saying this is actually gonna happen but...Merry Christmas
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I used to play that on the PC years ago. The trick is to wipe out Madagascar, getting anything to there is difficult.

Screaming out, "Yay, I've wiped out The Netherlands" is a different way to waste time though :D