Options

Phone call from Bank

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
Forum Member
✭✭
I've just been round to see my elderly parents. They had an answer phone message on Thursday supposedly from their Bank asking them to call back. The number left was a mobile number.

This seemed a bit odd to me as whenever I've phone Banks its always been with number starting 0845 etc so I've advised them not to call that but to visit the Bank personally next week.

Has anyone else ever had to phone their Bank back on a mobile?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If any large company rung me from a mobile number i'd be suspicious of it tbh, although going to the bank personally might not achieve anything, assuming it isn't a scam, the people at the branch might have no idea who was trying to contact your parents

if i were to try and scam someone i'd at least use 141 to with-hold my mobile number o_0
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, you did the right thing. There are a few scams like this if you google the number and type in Snopes it may give you more of an idea if it's currently doing the rounds.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    garfie wrote: »
    Has anyone else ever had to phone their Bank back on a mobile?

If it's from a manager who is out and about, it's fair enough. But they'd probably be expecting the call in that case.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Call the bank using the proper listed number and not the mobile number provided.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Call the bank and ask if the mobile is one of theirs. The bank's central switchboard should be able to tell.
  • Options
    kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Put the number into google and see what comes up!

Always the first thing I do with numbers I don't recognise.
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    You should pass the message and mobile number on to the police.
  • Options
    rehab_101rehab_101 Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always google numbers that come up that im not sure of, that normally answers the question straight away. But i would definitely use the official number to call the bank to check this out, you can never be to careful when it comes to banking.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    google it. I had a really weird automated message from Nationwide lately asking me to call a particular number. When I googled it, it was a legit number. The call was triggered by me trying to buy something from an online store I don't normally use.