The Next Doctor
    A Christmas Carol
    Voyage Of The Damned

Regards,

Cypher
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) A Christmas Carol (wow, and one of the most horrifying decisions Who has ever thrown at its audience (especially the adults), not only knowing you have but one more day with the love of your life but having to choose which day it will be. I haven't stopped hugging the wife since and kudos to Moffat for not taking the easy way out and curing her at the end)

Then there's a tiny bit of a gap roughy the size of Nebraska to:

2) The Christmas Invasion (good traditional new Doctor story, some great ideas especially the blood control, never liked the Harriet Jones resolution)
    3) The Next Doctor (would be in 2nd if not for that stupid Cyberking rampaging over ye olde London. Human colony in the future, yes, London no. Oh, and the REALLY clunky reveal of Jackson's kid, oy vey. Other than that pretty damn good although why ain't the Daily Fail getting all hot and bothered over some of Miss Hartigans lines...)
    4) The Runaway Bride (not actually that bad but dragged a bit, worth it for the TARDIS / Taxi scene though. Donna was irritating and a bit too comedy-based for my tastes here and the less said about the Queen's performance the better)
    5) Voyage of the Damned (meh, too much ambition, not enough budget, not enough plot, stupid bad guy)
    6) The End of Time (THIS is how you end the tenure of one of the best loved Doctor's, really?)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    All of them......equally.:)

ditto.
  • WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    try telling them that in the rant the episode thread, where the nay sayers seem under the impression that everyone hated it because they did. :p

That is simply not true, they are voicing their opinion that they didn't like it.

It seems to me that there are certain posters on here who take it as a personal affront if anyone dares to voice a less than positive opinion of any Dr Who episode and have appointed themselves personal guardians of the show, who must drop into every thread and defend the show's honour against the 'nay sayers'.

It sort of goes like this:-

Poster 1: "Well I have to say I was disappointed with that, and even my 12 year old son didn't like it."

Poster 2: "Well the poll on the 'Dr Who is Brilliant' website shows that 99.9% of posters felt the show was the best thing they'd ever seen, so you and your family are in the tiny minority and should never watch the show again as you don't deserve to bask in it's utter brilliance."

Exaggerated yes, but rather typical of many threads out here. At the end of the day it's all about opinions, and everyone has the right to like or dislike any given episode without others taking it upon themselves to tell them they are right or wrong.
  • Adam KelleherAdam Kelleher Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. The Runaway Bride by a mile

2. The Christmas Invasion
    3. The Next Doctor
    4. A Christmas Carol

then equally bad, far behind the rest

5= The End of Time Part 1
    5= Voyage of the Damned
  • Adam KelleherAdam Kelleher Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WelshNige wrote: »
    That is simply not true, they are voicing their opinion that they didn't like it.

It seems to me that there are certain posters on here who take it as a personal affront if anyone dares to voice a less than positive opinion of any Dr Who episode and have appointed themselves personal guardians of the show, who must drop into every thread and defend the show's honour against the 'nay sayers'.

It sort of goes like this:-

Poster 1: "Well I have to say I was disappointed with that, and even my 12 year old son didn't like it."

Poster 2: "Well the poll on the 'Dr Who is Brilliant' website shows that 99.9% of posters felt the show was the best thing they'd ever seen, so you and your family are in the tiny minority and should never watch the show again as you don't deserve to bask in it's utter brilliance."

Exaggerated yes, but rather typical of many threads out here. At the end of the day it's all about opinions, and everyone has the right to like or dislike any given episode without others taking it upon themselves to tell them they are right or wrong.

I totally agree. Some posters have the view, "All posters are equal but only as long as they agree with my opinion".
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    1.The Christmas Invasion
    2. The Runaway Bride
    3.The End of Time
    4.The Next Doctor
    5.The Voyage of the Damned
    6.Christmas Carol

I know it seems to be most peoples favourite but I still think that overall it was the weakest special so far.,
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    I totally agree. Some posters have the view, "All posters are equal but only as long as they agree with my opinion".

Well said
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    I haven't seen "The Next Doctor"; The others:

A Christmas Carol
    The Christmas Invasion
    The End of Time part 1
    Voyage of the Damned
    The Runaway Bride
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WelshNige wrote: »

actually some posters were very specifically saying that because they didn't like it no one did, and more than that that anyone that did like it was only pretending to. The comment was evidently tongue in cheek in any case, hence the :p. I am perfectly able to engage in reasoned discussion with people that have a different view on a episode to me if they themselves are able to make reasoned arguments.

Oh and Adam, before pulling out the "All posters are equal but only as long as they agree with my opinion" quote in relation to me, i suggest you take a look at your own posting history first.
  • Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a tricky one as I have only a small recollection of some of the others.

1. The Runaway Bride
    2. The End of Time
    3. Christmas Carol
    4=The Christmas Invasion
    4=The Voyage of the Damned
    6. The Next Doctor

In terms of opinion, paraphrasing from Animal Farm, )George Orwell) , all opinions are equal, but some are more equal than others.

Wouldn't mind seeing all the specials on BBC3 over Christmas, so I could re rate them all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay first I am just going to give ratings out of ten...and then rank form that.....depending on maybe other things....

TCI=10/10
    TRB=10/10
    VOTD=6/10
    TND=8/10
    TEOT p1 = 9/10
    ACC= 8/10

Okay...

1. It has to be the Runaway Bride, I just love everything about that episode, it just gets better and better with each view, its so funny, I was of the few that just adored Donna, such a contrast to Rose, which at that time I needed, and her chemistry with the Tenth Doctor was just fantastic....I just love it.
    2. The Christmas Invasion.....I was prepared to hate it...after all how dare DT replace.....but it was the epside that made me understand how much change is so intrinsic to Doctor Who...and gave me favourite Doctor ever....loved the darkness of Harriet Jones disposle (especailly in hindsight where it comes to bite the Doctor back) which made the special not so fluffy.....
    3.EOT.....I love it...and gets better with time (no pun intended)
    4. I am going to place both ACC and TND togther....I can't decide which I prefer more......maybe in time I might like ACC more.....who knows....we shall see....but both are bonkers, and very heartfelt.....and christmassy....but have their flaws...
    5.VOTD......it's got more flaws than good things....and it is too depressing for a Xmas specail...and a little dull in places...and well I'm no Kylie fan.....It's more watchable outside of the christmas season though....but I would choose to watch any of the above rather than this first....

In the end i don't hate any of them though....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1) The Unquiet Dead (I know, but it was set at Christmas and I think it's better than all the specials :) ).
    2) A Christmas Carol
    3) The Next Doctor
    4) The Christmas Invasion
    5) The Runaway Bride
    6) Voyage of the Damned
    7) The End of Time
  • saxysaxy Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. The End of Time Part 1
    3. The Runaway Bride
    4. A Christmas Carol
    5. The Next Doctor
    6. Voyage of the Damned

1,2,3 based on the wonderful performances from Bernard Cribbins and Penelope Wilton
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saxy wrote: »

1,2,3 based on the wonderful performances from Bernard Cribbins and Penelope Wilton

neither of them were in the runaway bride...:p
  • cctpscctps Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) Voyage of the Damned
    2) End of Time
    3) The Runaway Bride
    4) Christmas Invasion
    5) The Next Doctor
    6) A Christmas Carol
  • hardylanehardylane Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) A Christmas Carol
    2) The Christmas Invasion
    3) The End of Time
    4) The Next Doctor
    5) The Runaway Bride
    6) Voyage of the Damned

I'd like to see this organised in terms of age groups to be honest.

A style that appeals to the under-30's is often very different to that of the over-30's (making gross generalisation, but most young folk seemed to hate Christmas Carol)
  • Tigger-RooTigger-Roo Posts: 10,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having watched all the Christmas Specials recently my votes are:

1) A Christmas Carol
    2) The Christmas Invasion
    3) The Runaway Bride
    4) The End of Time
    5) The Next Doctor
    6) Voyage of the Damned
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do I have to rate all Christmas specials? Can I just make it a top three? If so:

1) A Christmas Carol (2010)
    2) K9 & Company (1981)
    3) The Feast of Steven (1965)

I think any others are pretty much forgettable.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I cannot rate 'A Christmas Carol' yet - not until I've watched again tonight.....SOBER!
    But so far my favourites are....
    1. THE VOYAGE OF THE DAMNED (Good old-fashioned disaster-movie style family entertainment)
    2. THE RUNAWAY BRIDE (Just Luuuurve Donna!)
    3. THE CHRISTMAS INVASION (simply 'cos it was the first Xmas Special, and introduced us to David)
    4. THE END OF TIME (Bye bye David, Catherine and Bernard :cry:)
    5. THE NEXT DOCTOR (The one and only that never impressed me! It did nothing for me)

Might be interesting to do a 'poll' ?
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    1. the end of time part 1
    2. the christmas invasion
    3. the next doctor
    4. the runaway pride
    5. voyage of the damned
    6. a christmas carol

Thats my list too :D
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    1. The Runaway Bride(9/10)
    2. Voyage of the Damned(8/10)
    3. The End of Time: Part 1(7/10)
    4. The Christmas Invasion(7/10)
    5. A Christmas Carol(6/10)
    6. The Next Doctor(2/10)

hard to remember exactly all at this time but although the end of time was the best of all, it wasn't nothing really to do with Christmas.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting to see the Runaway Bride appearing in many people's top 2 after being pretty much universally slated when it originally aired. I wonder if this is to do with people's enthusiasm for Series 4
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DavidG_UK wrote: »
    Interesting to see the Runaway Bride appearing in many people's top 2 after being pretty much universally slated when it originally aired. I wonder if this is to do with people's enthusiasm for Series 4

It's simply to do with DS forum members who slate everything - good or bad :p

1. A Christmas Carol
    3. Voyage of the Damned
    4. The Runaway Bride
    5. The End of Time: Part 1
    6. The Next Doctor
  • *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    DavidG_UK wrote: »

It certainly doesn't appear in my top 2, it's so far down the bottom of my list as to be completely invisible. My least favourite episode of New Who ever.