Windows Phone 8.1 on Lumia 920

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've got an unlocked Lumia 920 that I got from Tesco Direct early this year.

I've updated to Black some time ago, and have been checking daily for the Windows 8.1 update.

Has anyone else with this 'phone managed to get the OTA update yet?

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can get WP 8.1 Update Pack 1 via Preview for Developers. It's easy. You get all of the new 8.1 features without having to wait for your carrier to approve.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ozark1 wrote: »
    You can get WP 8.1 Update Pack 1 via Preview for Developers. It's easy. You get all of the new 8.1 features without having to wait for your carrier to approve.

Actually, if you install the preview you won't be able to install the final update automatically. I'd just leave it alone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Actually, if you install the preview you won't be able to install the final update automatically. I'd just leave it alone.

Yes, MS stopped an update from preview to final because of issues with this upgrade path and asks people to roll back to 8.0 and update from there. The plan is to have an 8.1 update rolled out by the end of August anyway, I think. It makes no sense to install preview 8.1 now. There's 8.1.1 preview if anybody wants, but I would install it on top of the Cyan/ 8.1 RTM not the 8.1 preview.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Yes, MS stopped an update from preview to final because of issues with this upgrade path and asks people to roll back to 8.0 and update from there. The plan is to have an 8.1 update rolled out by the end of August anyway, I think. It makes no sense to install preview 8.1 now. There's 8.1.1 preview if anybody wants, but I would install it on top of the Cyan/ 8.1 RTM not the 8.1 preview.

That's only an issue for people with bitlocker enabled by their business. Other users can still go ahead and put Lumia on their phone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    That's only an issue for people with bitlocker enabled by their business. Other users can still go ahead and put Lumia on their phone.

That's not the phone owner's decision to make. They pulled the plug on the whole upgrade path whether you have a bitlocker on or not. They are supposed to be working on the solution, but I'd be surprised if it is a priority. They located the problem in the RTM and they have to create another version that probably has to be tested by the network providers, too. Easier to tell developers to go back to a supported state. I had to do it myself with my L1520. Maybe I see it pessimistic and they will open this path again, but I did not want to wait any longer.