Any value in my old Dell desktop PC?

rewindrewind Posts: 2,636
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a Dell Dimension 8400 desktop PC which I bought around 2004 I think. Any value in any of it? Or should I just take it to the tip?

Thanks

Comments

• barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    very little value to you, potentially valuable to someone else if dumped with hard drive still attached
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rewind wrote: »
    I have a Dell Dimension 8400 desktop PC which I bought around 2004 I think. Any value in any of it? Or should I just take it to the tip?

Thanks
    Take the "Or should I" off the front of your last question and you have your answer :)

Doubt an 11 year old PC will have very much value now.

But before handing it over into the tender loving care of your recycling centre make sure you zap the hard drive or take it out and smash it into a million pieces to prevent any personal data being retrieved from it.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    by the looks of it not really much value, take hard drive out and smash with hammer and leave out for the scrap man would be my option of choice or it'll be fine for a lets have a laugh and try and get to know linux machine but at 10-11 years old its pushing it and could die at any time anyway
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have a printer at home, you could use it as a google cloud printer server, so you can print from phones,pcs,tablets etc even over internet.
  • catsaregreycatsaregrey Posts: 1,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    or turn it into a Network Attached Storage, depending how big the hard drive is though i guess
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used my Dell Dimension desktop as a music server for the last years of it's life until a house moved forced me to downsize to physically smaller NAS. The box itself with processor board and PSU was not worth anything but the two 500GB drives put into caddies have been useful to hold data backups from the household's laptops.