US TV journalists shot dead live on air in Virginia

Comments

• Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    asyousay wrote: »
    I am late to the thread and just watched the shooters video and my question how on earth did they not spot him before he shots ? - he is just standing there and yet nobody heard him approach or saw the shadow of him .
    He knew them both,its quite possible that he'd been chatting to them before they went live.
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am late to the thread and just watched the shooters video and my question how on earth did they not spot him before he shots ? - he is just standing there and yet nobody heard him approach or saw the shadow of him .

Its been discussed briefly, basically because they were busy and focused on a live TV broadcast. You see members of the public making their way into broadcasts all the time, only this time the individual was armed.

He knew them both,its quite possible that he'd been chatting to them before they went live.

This is also a possibility.
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member

he was behind them and the were concentrating on the interview
  • WoodbineWoodbine Posts: 14,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cameraman had his back turned away from him then the two females were to busy concentrating on the interview to notice, I guess they weren't expecting someone to shoot them down.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, that worked well. Only the bad guys have them. Knee-jerk reaction from politicians that will never admit they screwed that one up. Even Olympic shooters have to leave the UK to practice. Tax it or ban it is politicians motto.

you are over 70 times more likely to die from a firearm murder in the US compared to the UK.

So yeah the ban does work.
  • CappySpectrumCappySpectrum Posts: 2,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    way too late

there are 300 MILLION guns in the US

good luck with that

It would also be political suicide.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The logistics of removing all guns from American citizens would be impossible it would literally be a civil war, The amount of comments online of "you'd have to pry my gun from my cold dead hand", You'd need to door to door across the country with a swat team.
  • asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    Thank you for the replies :)

I just found it strange that he was not spotted . A absolutely cowardly act and quite upsetting for the family's involved that there is footage of it .
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member

He was someone who used to work with them, apparently he had a grudge against the woman he killed.
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    I'm sure psychologists would have a field day analysing this guy and his motivations. He clearly wanted as big an audience as possible for what he was about to do ie. making sure it happened on live television and even filming it himself just to make sure.

True but the point I was making was that such desires in themselves are not unique to this age, it's only that the means for recording it are different and and in a form which is more accessable and readily put in front of a global audience.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fleabee wrote: »
    What America need to do with guns is what the UK have --ban them!

They're not banned in the UK, you can own as many shotguns as you have storage for legally on a shotgun license and you can still own handguns for humane dispatch purposes (vets/farmers etc) limited to 2 round capacity on a S1 license and technically if you can get the home secretary to sign it off you can have a 30,000 rounds a minute phalanx gun on your front lawn and theres nothing the police could do about it...but getting the secretary that drunk would require a lot of forethough and i'd dread to think of the cost but "in theory"
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This chap is a vengeful NUTTER.

Self publicist too. Horrible.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    Thank you for the replies :)

I just found it strange that he was not spotted . A absolutely cowardly act and quite upsetting for the family's involved that there is footage of it .

He filmed it himself and put the footage on social media.
  • MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    The logistics of removing all guns from American citizens would be impossible it would literally be a civil war, The amount of comments online of "you'd have to pry my gun from my cold dead hand", You'd need to door to door across the country with a swat team.[/QUOTE]

Yep, sadly... and some of the gun lovers would go down shooting.:(

I'm glad we have strict gun control laws here and, outside of the criminal elements, a very small and ineffectual lobby who might think general public access to firearms would be a good idea.

Think around you - I could quickly name two relatives, one work colleague and two people in my street I would definitely not want to have a gun in their home. Their behaviour is too erratic, although I suspect they could all pass firearm ownership tests as none has a criminal conviction.
    Now, any of those could choose to use some other methods to injure or kill someone close by in a rage or while drunk/ under influence of drugs / mental health issues, but the last thing I would want is one of them to legally have a gun close to hand at critical moments.
    Forum Member
    vald wrote: »
    He filmed it himself and put the footage on social media.

I know and it must be horrible for the victims families. Hopefully the news outlets won't play the video as it's encouraging more lone nutters to go out and get 5 mins of fame .
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Why is it always explained away as "mental health issues" when the suspect is a white male ?

The suspect isn't a white male. I wonder if there'll be white rioters looting the streets of Virginia tonight?
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awful just awful :( RIP Alison Parker and Adam Ward.
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Truly shocking.

The video is horrific. How awful for their families to see their moments like that.

Sorry, I know it's probably been asked elsewhere in the thread but what happened to the shooter? Did he shoot himself afterwards?
  • MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    Truly shocking.

The video is horrific. How awful for their families to see their moments like that.

Sorry, I know it's probably been asked elsewhere in the thread but what happened to the shooter? Did he shoot himself afterwards?

Yes, at least critically injured, possibly now dead.
  • tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,535
    Forum Member
    I know it's probably been asked elsewhere in the thread but what happened to the shooter? Did he shoot himself afterwards?

He crashed his car after a Police Pursuit but before police could arrest him he shot himself and is now in a critical condition in a local hospital.
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiger2000 wrote: »
    He crashed his car after a Police Pursuit but before police could arrest him he shot himself and is now in a critical condition in a local hospital.
    Well I hope the doctors do everything they can to keep the evil bastard alive so that he can truly pay for what he did.
  • Skyler_WrightSkyler_Wright Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quote from someone on youtube.

"No one is calling it Christian terrorists.Imagine if that was done by a Muslims.These US hypocrite would have jumped up and down all day long demonizing the whole Muslims community".
    Forum Member
    Quote from someone on youtube.

"No one is calling it Christian terrorists.Imagine if that was done by a Muslims.These US hypocrite would have jumped up and down all day long demonizing the whole Muslims community".

Well has he come out and said he has done this over Christianity ?
  • Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    ..and technically if you can get the home secretary to sign it off you can have a 30,000 rounds a minute phalanx gun on your front lawn and theres nothing the police could do about it...but getting the secretary that drunk would require a lot of forethough and i'd dread to think of the cost but "in theory"

Dear Ms May

I have recently been troubled by seagulls, and seek an S.5 permit to address this problem.

Somehow I doubt that would work, but as you say S.5 licences can be granted, if you can provide sufficient justification. I'm pretty sure the police would have the opportunity to contribute to the application process though. As for cost, there's probably a standard fee for the permit.

In the US, in some states machine guns are legal, which personally I think is a bit too far for 2nd Amendment rights & possibly not what the founding fathers were considering for personal ownership/self-defence. Federal laws though prohibit new weapons I think, limiting availability and making existing ones pretty expensive.
  • Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I hope the doctors do everything they can to keep the evil bastard alive so that he can truly pay for what he did.

.. and the hospital bills of all involved.