Snow Watch 2010/11 Season

BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
Forum Member
Hello and welcome! As winter rapidly approaches, I figured the grand re-opening of Snow Watch was long overdue.

This thread is for discussion of potential upcoming UK snow events, and also for reporting any snow that falls in your area.

Of course, there's already been some wintriness over higher ground in the north this autumn, but next week represents the best opportunity so far for some more significant and widespread snow, as per latest Met Office update:
UK Outlook for Tuesday 23 Nov 2010 to Thursday 2 Dec 2010:

A generally unsettled and chilly start with clear or sunny spells in central and western parts, but cloudier with showers in the east, perhaps frequent at first. The showers will be wintry over hills, particularly in the north. It will gradually turn colder through next week with showers turning increasingly wintry to lower levels with a risk of some significant accumulations of snow in northern and eastern parts. Temperatures below average for the time of year with an increasing risk of overnight frost and icy surfaces, especially where skies clear. Feeling cold in the often fresh and mainly northeasterly wind. The cold theme continues into December for most parts, with northern and eastern parts most at risk from wintry weather, although western parts may start to turn less cold.

Updated: 1149 on Thu 18 Nov 2010

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_weather.html

I don't know about you folks, but that update had me grinning from ear to ear. After two brilliant winters in a row for us snow lovers, are we about to make it a third? :D

Comments

• SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be wonderful to see the long run of ridiculously mild winters well and truly broken. Snow before Christmas isn't common for most of the UK but we had some last year, and it would be lovely to see more this year.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,167
    Forum Member
    I love the snow, it is beautiful it's just when it turns to ice that I hate.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's alright as long as you don't have to go to work.
  • MoDingleMoDingle Posts: 4,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started a snow watch thread weeks ago - we had snow in October !!!!!!

19th October to be exact :)
  • scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    It's alright as long as you don't have to go to work.
    Which I wont after Nov 26th.........I retire at the end of that working day.
    :p:D
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    It would be wonderful to see the long run of ridiculously mild winters well and truly broken. Snow before Christmas isn't common for most of the UK but we had some last year, and it would be lovely to see more this year.

I disagree. I love mild Winters, and the period from 1988 to 2008 was sheer bliss for me, aprt from one or two little blips..

I fear that we are in for a cold one again though. Maybe even worse than last year. Sincerely hope I'm wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My tortoise was very active and alert this year, and I am sure it had something to do with the cold winter, which meant he was able to hibernate properly for the whole of the season.
  • MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    had snow here last sunday..woke up to a nice covering..my daughter had sent a text at 1 am to tell us it was blowing a blizzard on the sunday morning
  • Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back Snow Watch 2010

I've got me hats all ready and me boots in eager anticipation :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    Welcome back Snow Watch 2010

I've got me hats all ready and me boots in eager anticipation :)

Haha me too, not long now, its been bitterly cold in lancs for the past week or so
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm happy with any winter that's not dominated by the atlantic let alone ridiculously so as we have been far too used to for far too many british winters for 20 years or so.

Jet stream further south than at any stage been 1987/8 to 2006/7 mean that the most horrendous stuff is kept well away for us. People say it's unusual to see the jet stream south of the UK, but for the jet stream to have been so far north for entire dismal British winter after entire dismal British winter after entire dismal British winter is a pattern we were unused to before 1987/8 season.

Great to have seen the BBC weather forecasters pulling some very weird faces last winter that the constant dank and dismal +11C to +13C garbage sweeping in from the atlantic for days and weeks on end (which usually causes widespread damage to property through flooding and high winds, and widespread health problems - they don't wish ill on us but such ill happens through such constant horrendous weather patterns) that they are so enthusiastic about failed to materialise..

They even had the nerve to pull their faces for years when on a rare day the mercury was just below their beloved +10C and when there was no yellow in the temperature maps on the odd mid January day which was pathetic.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope we get snow in Huddersfield I'd love it
  • LincsDan32LincsDan32 Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You will be pleased to know, that SKDC's (South Kesteven District Council) winter road program (Road Gritters) budget is less than last year. But a spokesperson said......

"We have a fool proof ice/snow removal system, 100 % effective.

God.

Or

spring

which ever comes first".
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    Evening. :)

Nothing really new to report today. The good news (assuming you're a lover of cold and snow) is we're still on track for a cold spell next week. The only variables are the severity of the cold, the extent of the snow and how long it will last. Those things are still unclear and won't be known until early next week at least.

Currently it looks as though we could be seeing snow showers into the north and east of Scotland by Wednesday morning:

http://www.netweather.tv/gfsimages2/gfs.20101119/18/114/prectypeuktopo.png

These becoming more widespread across the UK by Thursday:

http://www.netweather.tv/gfsimages2/gfs.20101119/18/132/prectypeuktopo.png

However it's one of those where it may fall as sleet/cold rain in places to begin with as the initial cold shot is a little on the weak side. Eventually colder air feeds in behind and it should all turn to snow.
    Indeed, it's pretty rare to get settling snow at this time of year in low-level England. Last November snowfall recorded here in Northants was just over three years ago- 18th November 2007 to be precise. It was a rain turning to snow event, accumulating a couple of inches or so, all thawing by the morning.
    blueblade wrote: »
    I disagree. I love mild Winters, and the period from 1988 to 2008 was sheer bliss for me, aprt from one or two little blips..

I fear that we are in for a cold one again though. Maybe even worse than last year. Sincerely hope I'm wrong.
    That's disappointing to hear, I thought you were a coldie like me? That period of mild winters was ridiculously long- about time it was broken up with a run of winter proper, if you ask me. I'll settle for a spell half the length you enjoyed. :D (I suspect though I'll be lucky to get a fifth)
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    MoDingle wrote: »
    I started a snow watch thread weeks ago - we had snow in October !!!!!!

19th October to be exact :)
    Sorry I missed your thread - that was an early snowfall you had! Lucky devil. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    I have pictures from 23rd November 2008 snowfall here in Norwich so we definitely had snow then.

I'm looking forward to the ice cold frosts, snow and just everything :] Makes it more exciting driving on ice and walking while being able to wrap up warm!
    My tortoise was very active and alert this year, and I am sure it had something to do with the cold winter, which meant he was able to hibernate properly for the whole of the season.
    Awww :)

Do tortoises like being stroked?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Confusing wrote: »
    I have pictures from 23rd November 2008 snowfall here in Norwich so we definitely had snow then.

I'm looking forward to the ice cold frosts, snow and just everything :] Makes it more exciting driving on ice and walking while being able to wrap up warm!

Awww :)

Do tortoises like being stroked?

I think he does actually, at least he seems to enjoy having his chin stroked!
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just checked the 10 day weather for my area - predicts Snow for next Sunday...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    woohoo I love snow watch..tis that time of year again..

:D
  • fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Just checked the 10 day weather for my area - predicts Snow for next Sunday...

Which site did you use for the 10 day forecast?
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to use uk.weather.com , but they seem to be a tad inaccurate sometimes.

BBC's weekly weather update, is... erm, cold: http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209
    Monday 22 November 2010 to Sunday 28 November 2010
    Cold and colder

As winds back round from east to north, so the feed of air becomes colder, originating in the Arctic.
    Widespread sharp frost develops under clear skies overnight, as temperatures fall well below freezing.
    The snow risk gradually increases as the colder air moves southwards. Areas exposed to the north to northeasterly winds are most likely to see significant falls of snow, especially over higher ground.

Monday 29 November 2010 to Sunday 5 December 2010
    Wintry spell continues

The cold or very cold conditions are likely to continue into the first week of December, with widespread overnight frost and the risk of icy surfaces and further snowfall, particularly in eastern parts.
    There is then a chance that southern and southwestern areas may turn a little less cold but also more unsettled as rain, sleet and snow tries to push up from the south, but the extent and speed of this encroachment will be open to doubt.

Monday 6 December 2010 to Sunday 19 December 2010
    Confidence is high that temperatures stay low

The cold or very cold conditions are likely to continue, with precipitation amounts generally close to average, giving the risk of sleet and snow at times in many areas. However, sheltered western areas may be drier than normal.
    There is a continuing signal for below or well below average temperatures, with widespread overnight frost, locally severe. There is a small chance of it turning less cold at times, particularly for southern and southwestern parts, but still with the risk of further rain, sleet and snow here.

That looks bleak.
  • PortnoyPortnoy Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    Snowball fights!!
  • fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    I tend to use uk.weather.com , but they seem to be a tad inaccurate sometimes.

BBC's weekly weather update, is... erm, cold: http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

That looks bleak.

Huge heating bills again this year :(
  • biggeralbiggeral Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to Metcheck it won't get above -4 degrees C in London during the day next week. OK, they are not too reliable, but it will get quite chilly.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Snow has been predicted for the end of this week. I thought a thread maybe needed Will we be stuck in our cars, schools shut, transport disruption etc etc? Is the highways agency fully prepared?
This discussion has been closed.