Friends

BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
Forum Member
✭✭
Who do you consider as a friend?
At school, I'm in a little group of 5, as a group, we have nothing in common at all (apart from we sit in the same room for lunch). The reason we're "connected" is that
Person 1 and 2 do Media studies
Person 2 and 3 do Photography
Person 3 and 4 do graphic design
etc.

Other than the fact I do photography with one of them, we have no common interests as a group, I'm the only one wanting to go to uni, the others don't really know what they're doing and don't have much of a life goal type thing. I don't think I'm going to be staying in contact with any of them when I leave - It sounds harsh, but I don't think I'm going to have a reason to. They're just people who happen to be around me.

We don't go out together, we don't come to each other for advice or anything.

What do you consider a "friend" - what makes the bond for you?

(this doesn't mean I don't have friends, just not from school)

Comments

• PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member
    A friend is someone that I can trust, or someone that will be there for me when I need someone :(

Or maybe just someone who I can talk to comfortably.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone who'll buy me a pint when something's wrong, always help me out. Luckily I've got 2 or 3 friends that I've known since playgroup who I know would always have my back, like I would for them.
  • quatroquatro Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm probably 40 years older than you!
    I have one friend who now lives overseas who I met at school when we were 6 years old! The bond is that we know each others families and where we grew up and the other kids in school ie. our shared past. She isn't 'there' for me though, just keep in touch via email.

Another friend is my age and the bond we share is that we were both unwell at the same time, both with grown up children/grandkids, both single after relationships havent worked out, both live on own own but quite happy with that. We are there for each other to a greater extent.

Another friend is a lot younger than me but we share family backgrounds of issues and problems so we 'connect' in that way, I understand how she feels a lot of the time and vice versa. We are there for each other as much as we can be.

Thats it. My 'best friends' are my 2 sons.
    However whenever my back is against the wall, I would not expect much of any of them. I feel on my own in this life and any problems I have to and will, face on my own. I expect nothing from anyone but if it comes its a bonus.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm difficult. I'm one of those people who is "friends" with everyone, literally everyone. I probably trust people too easily, but nobody has back stabbed me (yet).

But what I call friends are people who I speak to, even if its not very much.

But I have around 7-8 very good friends that I can fully trust.
  • parsleyisfunparsleyisfun Posts: 4,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got friends in college who I'm in the same class with, we're friends on facebook, not known them for long but they're there for me and I'm there for them, we all like having a good time, going places, I've got ten or fifteen friends like that.

There's my friends from secondary school who I've known for five years but a lot of us separated to go to different colleges this year, so I don't see them, but they're close friends, they've been there for me through a lot and I've been there for them, I trust them quite well and talk to them a lot even if I don't get to see them much these days, but at secondary school we were all inseparable. We were in loads of classes together, went out to the cinema and shopping to Telford as a group, most of us went to New York together in October last year, we all like music and want to go to University.

My very best friend from secondary school, who came to college with me, we're inseparable and people call us sisters, although I fear we're starting to drift apart because of meeting new groups of friends at college, I think I've settled in a bit better than she has, but she knows pretty much everything about me and I think I know pretty much everything about her.

Another best friend, we met at secondary school, he doesn't go to sixth form at the moment because of personal problems but he's amazing. We're into the same things, we've both been through and are going through similar problems at the moment, and we're always there for each other. We trust each other and I consider him as more of a brother than a friend, and our Mums are still convinced we'll end up married one day :D

My friends from the theatre group, we're connected by our love of theatre and acting, and the atmosphere backstage at shows is fantastic because we're all friends - there's no bitchiness or competitiveness or anything, everyone gets on really well and encourages everyone else.

I've got one friend who is more like a big brother than anything, he's ten years older and has been the subject of a couple of threads on here, we've settled into a brother-sister relationship with the potential of more, we met at theatre group so we're bonded over that, but also because we both love computers, The Sims, we're both nerds :cool: and we never seem to run out of anything to talk about, plus he's always been there for me.

I'm quite lucky, I've got lots of social circles I mix in - as well as friends, there's many acquaintances and people I know and like from meeting other people, but don't know well enough to call them "friends".
  • SoliloquyOSoundSoliloquyOSound Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    I would consider someone a friend if they set me up with good hard shag.

I have no friends.
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have a good friend who i've known for 28 years,i'm 31 now..we sat together in every picture from infants all the way through school.
    we are like brothers,any probelms we can talk about them..

a freind is someone you can trust without thinking about what you say..i'd be lost without my friends
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate these threads cause they make me overthink my relationships with people :(

I have a few different circles of friends. One is mainly guys, which has it up and downsides! My closest friend in that group I've known about 4 years and we get on very very well together - to the extent that everyone assumes we MUST be shagging or at least on the verge of. We are like a married couple, without any of the romantic feelings (at least as far as I'm concerned, and I'm pretty certain he's not interested either). Having said that, last year I went a bit mad over some bloke and he actually couldn't deal with my upset over it, probably because I'm usually so happy-go-lucky. He's not the greatest one for heart to hearts!
    Another friend from that group is really only my friend cause he's friends with the guy above, though I've known him longer, about 6 years. He'd like it to be more than friends and takes no hints to the contrary. It's awkward.
    The only real female friend from that group is a good friend actually. She has many many friends, but we have been there for each other through crap times. I've known her about 7 years.

I also have a nice circle of friends from work, though I do wonder if we'll stay friends if/when any of us leave. They're much better at going out on the lash or whatever so they are valuable friends in that respect.

A friend is really someone I enjoy spending time with. It might be that I only enjoy seeing them for a night out, or for a film, or whatever, but I'd still consider them a friend.