Options

Only Fools And Horses - 30th Anniversary Thread (discussion)

Rob22Rob22 Posts: 11,838
Forum Member
✭✭
Discuss whatever you want about it here.

the tragedy that John Sullivan never got to see his 30th anniversary creation - the fact UK GOLD are celebrating 30 years this week, the fact a new christmas special was planned for this year, but apparently ended up scrapped?

or just the episodes in general.

Comments

• Options
    steven87gillsteven87gill Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn’t bet against Del and Rodney making a one off return in a mini sketch of some sort as a tribute to John Sullivan.

Looking back, I always thought that when the show was at peak commercially (late 80’s 1990’s specials) It was also creatively at it's best.

But weirdly I always preferred David Jason's early portrayal of Del Boy, for me he carried the show through it's awkward early years, back when it hadn't really developed it‘s own identity, and had a very of it's time, 1970‘s feel (not helped by the wonderfully bawdy, Oo-er, missus Mk1 theme tune. :D:D)

But as the show went on and got better I always thought in retrospect Jason's later OTT (and more well known) portrayal of Del wasn't as great, for me I think he hammed it up a bit too much for my liking and Del Boy became too much of a Caricature.

Whereas it’s the other way round with Nicholas Lyndhurst and pretty much all the other supporting cast, they got better as the years went on.
  • Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rob22 wrote: »
    the fact UK GOLD are celebrating 30 years this week

Gold have been celebrating the 30 years for the last 3-4 weeks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tessa Peake-Jones said a couple of months ago - that an OFAH special was planned for this christmas day on BBC1, but due to John suddenly passing away, it was scrapped.

she literally said this, on 'this morning' on ITV1.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gerry d wrote: »
    Gold have been celebrating the 30 years for the last 3-4 weeks
    It has been longer then that, more like 4 years.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first programme was transmitted on September 8, 1981
  • Options
    robertaloud30robertaloud30 Posts: 3,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn’t bet against Del and Rodney making a one off return in a mini sketch of some sort as a tribute to John Sullivan.
    seems unlikely cos even a short sketch would need to have been written by John wouldnt it? Unless there are some he wrote laying around..but in that case it may be in bad taste as John may not have wanted them aired?..also Nicholas was on Alan Titchmarsh Show sounding quite sure it cant be done now
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Due to John Sullivan's death - I sadly cannot see any more OFAH clips or episodes made.

When John died in April - future only fools and horses episodes died with him.

but the memories of Del and Rodney, and the repeats aired on TV (along with our DVD collections) will live on in our hearts forever.

and I guess that goes for green green grass and rock n' chips aswell.

RIP - John, the fans will never forget what you have given us.
  • Options
    LaurawhittzLaurawhittz Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    love the show even though some people said it should have been left when they got rich i feel they were all brilliant was so sad when John Sullivan passed away he was a genius writer and it makes me sad to think that we wont get to see what john had written for christmas on tv, although isnt his son a writer to but i do think a special not writen by john wouldnt be right but it still makes me sad to think that we wont get anymore new episodes :cry:

could watch this show over and over - nothing beats it for me

best british comedy series of all time in my opinion

best boxset ive ever bought! :D

RIP John
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    only fools and horses is timeless, like the carry on films.......

in 10 years time, you could still watch Sid James and Kenneth Williams having a funny segment in a carry on - same as only fools and horses.
  • Options
    Andrew EnglandAndrew England Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    BT Vision has the Christmas specials on including the aforementioned JBO, thought i'd give a heads up about it.