Options

Hearing strange voices, and no I'm not going mad (I hope)

2»

Comments

• Options
    5hane5hane Posts: 2,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Antbox wrote: »
    The brief bit where you hear someone say '...mmerdale', with something like a fax machine going off in the background, is an Audio Description soundtrack. Those tones are a control signal to other parts of the broadcast infrastructure, they shouldn't ever be broadcast raw, as-is. So what you're hearing is almost certainly a fault at the channel's end.

Thanks for the technical details.

That's a lot of faults at the channels end then because we hear these mistakes quite frequently and not always on the same channels.
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    If a police or Taxi goes past and they are talking or listening to their radios some tvs pick it up
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5hane wrote: »

That's a lot of faults at the channels end then because we hear these mistakes quite frequently and not always on the same channels.

That is mainly that the channels do not understand AD ....- and MRG no longer make the ADP 100 or 105 police units ,..... Which the major channels and UK TV etc play out contractors bought 15 years ago ..
    But there are some being sold on usual second hand kit sites
    Also the axon unit is just a mixer to Derive broadcasters mix and NOT a police unit

I cannot find the ITC. Technical docs online .. Only Ms Hyks editorial guidelines
  • Options
    AntboxAntbox Posts: 4,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not impossible. How are you watching - Sky, cable, Freeview? By any chance is it mostly HD channels you hear this problem on?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Antbox wrote: »
    Not impossible. How are you watching - Sky, cable, Freeview? By any chance is it mostly HD channels you hear this problem on?

Virgin Media. Incredibly we don't often watch the HD channels due to their random placement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed that the fault is now being muted, so instead of the strange noise we now often get brief losses in audio, which is expecially noticeable at the start and end of Emmerdale.
  • Options
    AntboxAntbox Posts: 4,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed that the fault is now being muted, so instead of the strange noise we now often get brief losses in audio, which is expecially noticeable at the start and end of Emmerdale.
    I think this must be an ITV thing - I was watching it the other day and noticed that there sometimes were blips and audio discontinuities at the points where programmes changed to ads, etc. Seems like a similar issue.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back in the early days of TV when Top of the Pops first started it went out from an old church in Rusholme, Manchester - long, long before it had a Curry Mile.

We lived about a mile away and I delivered papers to the studio and so used to know when they were rehearsing etc.

By accident we had discovered that if you hand tuned our old fashioned radiogram (where you had to lift up a lid to access it!) you could tune in to these sessions and listen to rehearsals and the actual show.

It was fun for a while until they moved out to a proper studio once the show became a big hit.
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back in the early days of TV when Top of the Pops first started it went out from an old church in Rusholme, Manchester - long, long before it had a Curry Mile.

We lived about a mile away and I delivered papers to the studio and so used to know when they were rehearsing etc.

By accident we had discovered that if you hand tuned our old fashioned radiogram (where you had to lift up a lid to access it!) you could tune in to these sessions and listen to rehearsals and the actual show.

It was fun for a while until they moved out to a proper studio once the show became a big hit.

I could listen to ITV in the radio in my bedroom (possibly BBC1 too, can't remember) when they were broadcast on 405 line VHF.

ITV sticks out because I remember listening to Coronation Street to keep up with the storyline when I was confined to bed due to illness as a schoolboy.

Not sure how you heard the rehearsals though, I wonder if they had a form of wireless microphones in those days that you were picking up?
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

We are trying to work out why we occasionally pick up a strange voice when watching certain programmes. For example; just as Corrie started tonight we suddenly heard 3 seconds of some kind of scrambled voice interrupting the programme, then just as the adverts finished we heard it again; the same voice but different words. It's hard to decipher what is said as it happens so quickly.
    The same thing happened yesterday evening, but I can't remember if it was the same channel as today.
    It's actually quite creepy. Perhaps our dish is picking up a signal it shouldn't.
    It's not Vrillon, of The Ashtar Galactic Command returning to take over the national airwaves for the first time since 1977 all over again is it?

The thread about that weird incident is here;

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1764059&highlight=
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember back in the late 80s in the Gateshead area, if you picked up our telephone you could hear what I think was Radio 1 on MW through the speaker.
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Dans Dad has kindly provided the answer as to what you were picking up in post number 3 of this thread ☺

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2085920